STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

It's all opinion. Personally, I love TESB, but I know loads of people into their movies who remain completely unengaged with Star Wars and even find it boring. To suggest someone is in some way "stupid" for not instantly swallowing the hyperbole and worshipping TESB is of course the very height of conceitedness.

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Well, yes - you did. Coming back later and saying "No, what I meant was ______" really doesn't change it.

The word you mean is "flak," and you're not getting any flak, personally. Your opinions—often so confused that it's difficult for people to make out what you're saying, causing you to "restate" your opinion by saying almost the opposite of what you wrote the first time—are what's being criticised. In other words, it's not you that's at issue, it's your credibility, based upon the statements you yourself make.

And, as if taking personally what wasn't intended as such weren't enough, you're now taunting in return. I really don't think you want to go there.

I think that instead you want to consider more carefully what you mean to say before posting the first time, making your points more clear and avoiding the need for later attempts at clarification.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  3. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

I think it has to do with the holiday. IIRC, the same thing happened after Memorial day. I guess even the people that post the numbers need breaks, but they'll be up in due time.

Well, for what it's worth, I understand that when you say "kind of," that means "kind of" and not "completely." No real clarification was needed, but it's nice that you provided it. :)

4. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, you wouldn't hold out for a new hope, eh? :devil:;)

5. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, not so much considering the prequel series. I think the SW franchise will have to have good word of mouth during production to overcome what Lucas did to the SW fanbase with the prequel series. (And yes, overall having Lucas no longer driving the franchise helps in this regard; still I think people may be wary of this new outing.)

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Worried Han Solo might end up in a fridge?

7. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Wait until Abrams takes care of the Indiana Jones saga.

8. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Why would you want to do that ?

Irrespective of the original SW's influence, I'll go ahead and say that Empire is probably the best sci-fi movie ever made.

Well I don't like them as much as the originals, of course, but they still made a ton of money, and to the people who didn't grow up with Star Wars they're not seen as negatively.

9. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

For me, films like 2001, Blade Runner, Forbidden Planet, Akira etc are all superior Sci-Fi. TESB is a liitle overrated and fawned over IMO, but is still a excellent movie nevertheless.

10. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think being sequels not knowing what happens next instead of prequels knowing where they'd end up helps too.

Besides Star Wars is a far stonger brand 8 years on from Sith than it was 8 years on from Jedi. What did it have to show for itself in 1991?

11. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I was searching for a theater time to take the family to "Despicable Me 2" last night, so for the fun of it, I also checked to see which theaters were still showing STID. The only places that came up near my zip code were the Udvar Hazy center and a theater in Fairfax. Out of curiosity, I typed in the DC zip code, and only four theaters came up: Alexandria, Bethesda, Clarendon, and Silver Spring.

I was surprised to see it's still at Udvar Hazy (the air and space museum near Dulles Airport). Tempted to take in a third viewing just because of the location.

At any rate, showing in as few places as it is, if the movie is going to get any kind of Fourth of July weekend bump in the DC-Northern VA area, people are really going to have to want to drive to see it.

12. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I agree with this. SW, as much as I love it (and I happen to be one of the people who like the prequels despite the fact that they're kind of crappy), is not science fiction, per se. It's a space opera that has no clue as to how science works.

Science fiction should be at least somewhat focussed on extrapolating the possible developments of science. As far as that goes, SW fails pretty badly. George Lucas has no clue about science. Like, at all.

As action flics set in space, following rules of physics particular to their own universe, they are very entertaining, and I love them.

However, as far as science fiction films go, there are vastly superior ones - like some film adaptations of Philip K. Dick stories.

Of course, YMMV.

13. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Saw it a fifth time yesterday.

There is only one theatre in Melbourne that's still showing STID (in the centre of the city, fortunately, so I didn't have to go out into the boondocks).

14. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It did about 410,000 yesterday roughly 29% off of last week's Friday.

Might try and dig up the reports for Thursday and Wednesday.

But the bean counters from Paramount are on Vacation. Not uncommon, especially as they don't have anything major opening.

And the film is getting closer to the point where the studio wont release daily tracking for it anyway. Probably in the next two weeks we will only get final numbers for the week.

15. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Actually a great hold... but this is the last hurrah I'm sure.

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

This?

17. JamesRye

JamesRye Captain Captain

18. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    That's kinda the case for most of sci-fi, however.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Why are we talking about ESB?

Im hoping with international numbers, and the smaller dropoff (1035 theaters but a holiday) STID may get over $450 million by early next week.

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Almost forgot, my stepdaughter went to visit her bf and she converted him into a trekkie...she started off with STID then showed him every pilot episode of each show on netflix!