Abrams Commits To Direct

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I completely disagree with this. I loved the movie and have been a fan since 1975. The franchise had grown stale Enterprise under performed and was canceled Nemesis (an ok Star Trek movie) also under performed at the box office. Star Trek needed a fresh approach and something new. JJ Abrams revived a dying patient and Star Trek now has new life.

2. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

New life it wouldn't have been granted if it weren't for a big, full-blown mainstream approach to the flicks. A lot of folks just don't seem to realize that. And if they'd genuinely be happier with no chances for any sort of future Trek installments then that's certainly their prerogative.

3. Tidus79001

Tidus79001 Lieutenant Commander

It was you who attacked me. I didn't attack anyone. I am sorry you feel attacked by me defending myself. Here please accept my sincerest apologies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qlXMA0v-WA

4. Quinton O'Connor

I'm 99% positive that link will be a waste of time.

Apart from responding to your sense of feeling insulted with my own sense of feeling insulted, I didn't attack you personally. Maybe someone can intervene here and call me out on this -- I've got the flu, after all, I could be missing something crucial -- but I'm pretty sure I was quite polite beyond that.

I suggested alternative routes that could help you cope with the alleged loss of something you're passionate about. Which isn't even true anyway because you'll always have everything that came before the new films. You then told me to get over myself, went with the tired "I live in a free country" routine that really has very little to do with the internet, labeled me as childish and now you're linking me to something that's fairly likely quite silly.

5. Tidus79001

No Jeff this conversation with you is a waste of time. In the words of Seven of Nine "This lesson is terminated".

6. Quinton O'Connor

Well aren't you a silly star player indeed.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

What's the difference between Enterprise getting cancelled and four years later being followed by a movie... and Star Trek 2009 coming out and four years later being followed by a sequel?

Between cancelling and new movie was nothing. And between new movie and sequel is... nothing?

8. Quinton O'Connor

The success of the film is pivotal to the potential for other licensed avenues in the years to come. Granted, it could be a while. But having the franchise end on a downer note like ENT's ratings is definitely not something that would appeal to investors curious to see if Trek can ever do well on the small screen again.

9. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Seriously, this.

Even the SW films were every three years.

After the first one did so much better than expected, the sequel should have been immediately green-lit for release within 2 years, and we should be talking about the third film now and if we'll finally get Trek back on TV where it belongs.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Uh...well, for starts just the fact that because the first Abrams movie was a success the studio is doing a second movie in the same setting with the same cast and crew.

Hope you're not waiting on the next Star Trek: Enterprise show or movie, or anything. That's the difference between failure and success.

If your question is meant to be "what's the difference in the rate of supply of new product between failure and success" then the answer is: you're getting a new movie, period. Failure = no new Trek, at all.

None of that is unclear, is it?

No, a longer gap should work out fine. People may not get tired of this version as quickly as they did the last if they have to wait a little longer.

I doubt that there will be another four-year gap after this one, though.

11. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I'm 42; been an avid fan of Star Trek in its entirety since the early 80's - and I love JJ's Trek. For me, it captures the spirit of TOS perfectly, albeit in an updated iteration. Tidus, I feel you're overreacting just a smidgen - I'm certain Jeff's initial response was not intended as insulting in any way, and was given purely in the interests of debate.

12. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

While I agree that the new movie should have come out this year I think Trek belongs both in the theaters and TV.

13. Quinton O'Connor

Thanks, LOKAI. You're too kind. :)

14. Quinton O'Connor

And yeah, I don't think there will be a four-year gap between XII and XIII, in any case.

15. Tidus79001

I am not the only person who doesn't prefer "Abrams Trek". Just because the board is mostly pro "Abrams Trek" doesn't mean that other fans out there don't feel the same way I do. There are plenty of fans out there who I have seen express the same dissatisfaction as myself who aren't on this board.

Attempts to try to make me feel marginalized in my views on "Abrams Trek", or on any of my views have & will always fail miserably.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

You already feel marginalized. That's why you're so reactive to what you perceive as criticism.

And, in fact, you're "marginalized" by the marketplace rather than by the fact that most fans like the last movie.

You know other fans that didn't like it? That's fine. It's to be expected. Some Trek fans didn't like TNG. Some didn't like DS9. Many didn't care for Voyager or Enterprise. And you'll find a few at TrekBBS who actually are bored by TOS (not I). Nonetheless, we're getting another nuTrek movie because the vast majority of people who are interested in Star Trek at all supported the last one.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  17. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Personally, I'm not trying to ostracise/marginalise you in any way - and I don't believe anyone else in this thread is/has either. I am 100% respectful of your views and opinions. There are many members here who share your sentiments.

18. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Except critically acclaimed, Oscar winning, and wildly popular.

Good news though.

19. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

I don't agree with this. There's no Star Trek on TV right now, so there's no real risk of "over-saturation," like when there was two TV series and a movie series going on at the same time. Also, TWOK-TVH came out every two years and were all big hits.

There's no other new Trek competing with these movies right now. Long delays between them are more likely to crush momentum than they are to whet the appetite.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Really? This forum has remained remarkably active for the last two years.

I don't think the market will bear any more Star Trek than it will any other franchise film series, and they don't need to be diluting it by putting it back on TV right now. Three years would probably be better than four, and I imagine that's what we'll see next time.