I'm Hooked On Lost

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Brent, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Well Hi Everyone, I just got hooked on Lost. For years I've been hearing about the show, I know so many are hooked on it, and for the longest time I really didn't get it or think I would enjoy Lost that much. I hadn't seen any episodes myself, but I've heard about it, and didn't think it would be for me. I was even checking out all the posts arguing here on this forum a while back if it was "SCIFI" or not, (BTW, I think it is SCIFI) and since there was that debate I just didn't think it was for me cause if it wasn't SCIFI I really wasn't interested. I was thoroughly mistaken.

This past week I have watched almost the entire series. I have used ABC's website to watch full episodes (using the HD stream which is great quality for a live stream) starting with Season 1 Episode 1 and working my way upwards. Now, there are still some episodes I haven't seen, and most of them I did kind of skip through. But Oh My Gosh, I am hooked on this show, the mystery, everything, I'm all in now, I want to learn more.

I am now going to properly sit down and watch every episode from the beginning without skipping around. You guys can count me in on discussions here from now on with new episodes as well!

I do have questions though, and as I sit and watch each episode more thoroughly I am sure I might have some that maybe you guys could help me out with.

One of my main questions I have right now is what is the difference between "The Others" and "The Hostiles" and "The Natives" ? They almost all seem like the same people to me, like three different names for the same group of people.

/EDIT - Crap, I posted this on the wrong forum, can a mod please move it to the Lost forum? Thanks

2. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

One of us! One of us! :D

And while we wait for the thread to get moved, I'll answer your question. Yes, while they are called by those different names, they are all basically the same group. However, not all Others are Hostiles. Some of the Others (like Juliet) were recruited off Island by the Hostiles, following their defeat of the Dharma Initiative and acquirement of all their stuff. Also, while they may have also been called Natives, that doesn't mean they were always native to the Island.

3. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

ahhhh, gotcha, I was assuming that Natives meant people that were there on the island, born there and lived there, for maybe thousands of years before anyone ever came to the island

4. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which episode are you up to so that we know not to spoil anything?

I really didn't want to like Lost, I only gave it a shot when it launched here in Ireland (roughly 9 months after the US launch) because I had heard great things about it from American viewers who said they wished they had watched it from the beginning. I didn't think much of the pilot, and the second episode is a Kate episode which nearly made me give up, but I gave it one last chance, and luckily the third episode focused on Locke. I've been onboard ever since.

5. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

There is no longer any question that Lost is Science Fiction. They gave up all pretenses otherwise in the season 5 premier.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The island is on a giant turtle that's floating through space.

There I just spoiled the entire show for you! :p

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

...inside a subatomic particle in a snowglobe being held in the hand of an autistic child...

8. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Earlier than that. They'd been moving in that direction for a long time, but I think if anyone still doubted by the time Season 4's "The Constant" rolled around, then there's something wrong with them.

9. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

I could've sworn there was a Lost sub-forum somewhere...

10. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

I'd say the end of Season 2 actually. But yeah "The Constant" (fan-bloody-tastic episode by the way) removed all doubt.

And welcome and enjoy the ride, I almost gave it up in Season 3, but keep with it. Season 4 is fantastic.

11. Luckyflux

Luckyflux Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As long as you don't like answers you are all set! But you didn't like the pilot episode? I thought the scene with the plane breaking up in mid air was great! I was on the edge of my seat with that one.

12. Lindley

Various episodes through the years have strongly indicated a science fiction component to the show. But "Because You Left" made it absolutely impossible to naysay anymore.

13. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I had been hearing about it for months so there was a big build-up, and the pilot just didn't live up to my expectations. I was very used to TV being predicable and I felt that I knew how every TV show was going to go, and even with all the weird stuff about polar bears the pilot seemed to be fairly generic to me. It was only when Locke was revealed to be in a wheelchair before the crash that I sat up and took notice because for the first time in years a TV show had managed to surprise me.

And that is why I like Lost, they are constantly doing stuff to make you re-evaluate the show. I had heard from the beginning that the show was supposed to last six years, so I assumed that the first four years would be like the first season with the characters slowly learning about the Others, and the last two years would involve a conflict breaking out between the two camps, leading to eventual rescue. I had no idea that they would be getting off the island in season four and that season five would be about trying to get back to a time-hopping magic island. :lol:

14. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's where I quibble with your interpretation. I say the turtle - who has clearly been seen to move its flippers - is more swimming than floating through space.

15. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which is why I've fully given up on the show on an intellectual level. I remember when they insisted that the series was based on real science or whatever.

Oh well, as long as people go shirtless, I suppose I can enjoy it on a base -Juliet should take her clothes off more often - level.

16. Lindley

"Based on real science" could be like how Enterprise is "Based on Star Trek", though.

17. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except they said "based on real science" in a way that implied that Lost was not SF with the Temporal Cold War and Space Nazis and flying around the sun at warp 10.
    Err, wrong show, but you get the gist.
    At this point, they might as well connect Lost with the new Star Trek movie and do a massive crossover.

18. Luckyflux

Luckyflux Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That turned me off as well. I remember early on they kept trying to give these cryptic clues as to what was going on, but that never went anywhere, which is why I gave up trying to get into the nuts and bolts of the show. Now I just watch it for fun and I don't care if I miss a hidden reference or not. I hate when they try to hype the show by teasing information that they know is no good. I wish I had some examples but I have throw all those notes away.

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

They said that everyting on the show could be explained by science or real pseudoscience.

20. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Can we timewarp back to season one when invisible jumpjets was the prevalent theory? :lol: