The early seasons :

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Cascades, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

When I watched it at the beginning I was WTF is this this isn't Star Trek or TNG bit gritty didn't think some of the characters were no good ?? no ship creepy manky station dark stories...... But by season 3 and then 4 I thought this series is ace loved all the characters and some of the story's were very good well written one of my favourites is blood oath. Die is cast in purgortys shadow trials and tribbs WOTW

Don't think gene would of approved of the war arc but I liked it didn't agree of sisko dying and we probably got one of the best villains of any series Gul Dukat !!!

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Remember the old adage 'Never judge a book by its cover'

The more static nature of DSN really allowed them to expand on the ST universe.

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I just started rewatching DS9 after finishing TNG on Netflix and its different from what I remember but so far so good, nothing wrong with these stand alone adventures and its superior to TNG season 1.

4. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I've been watching the series in Stardate order for a while, and even though DS9’s first season is more memorable, the stardate's were still messed up on a few episodes, leading to episodes, like "Dax" taking place after "The Forsaken". At least DS9 did not have anyone die in it's first season that really screws up the chronology, Stardate wise (TNG's Stardate for "The Big Goodbye" has it just after "The Neutral Zone, and well after. "skin Of Evil"; I guess with TBG being part of the first 13 episodes, when it was produced it was still under the 13-episode trial, and the writer's though it would work fine and even be able to be slotted in in a later spot during syndication runs if the series went beyond the 13 episodes with no major continuity problems).

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Then again stardates were orignally so they didn't have to define when it took place. It wasn't until TWOK that we got "In the 23rd Century" prior to that it had been a bit hit and miss when it came to when TOS was set, was it TNG's "The Neutral Zone" that gave us a definite year for the first time?

6. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

The reasons a lot of people say S1-2 of DS9 suck are that:

1) It's just not as good as it gets later; and since this is the Internet, "not as good" means "total crap".

2) A lot of people don't like Bajor and Bajorans, and S1-2 deal with Bajor directly a lot.

3) S1-2 were a long time ago (whether you watched it original run, or just barely watched it, you still have a whole five seasons between now and then), and not a whole lot memorable happened there, so it's easy to imagine we didn't like it, because that's what the internet says and we have no memories to contradict it.