Fringe: "6955 kHz" - Nov. 11 - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Nov 11, 2010.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

61.3%
  2. Above average

35.5%
  3. Average

3.2%
  4. Below average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Man, I'm glad that someone else caught that too! Even as sick as I was last night watching the tape, that stood right out to me.

That aside, I thought this ep was excellent, too. I'm glad that there's now been a mention of the First People; I guess they're kinda like Stargate's Ancients. And I'm wondering if the reason that the guy who wrote the knows about them in the first place is because perhaps he's one of them? Perhaps they were either immortals, or had perfected cryonic technology and a small handful of them have been frozen.

Just speculating. But I'm fully hooked once again.

:techman:

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

One glaring assumption is being made by everyone here regarding the numbers/coordinates/first people. Your assuming the book really does contain information from the "first people" and isn't just some whack job's writing being used by the alternates.

3. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Could be that the First people were advanced enough to know what longitudes and latitudes their tech would be at millions of years later... perhaps they could see the future?

4. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Given that we as yet know what the limits to their abilities/technology are, this is could be a possibility. I'm making the assumption that they were at least well beyond us and our alt-universe counterparts in terms of technology.

5. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Clearly they were advanced enough to create a system to transmit these codes for millions of years. Why is it so hard to believe that they created the code to adapt to changes in the environment?

Also, the book didn't contain the latitudes and longitudes. It just contained the cypher to unlock the code that contained them.

6. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Are all artifacts inland or are there some which are immersed too? I cannot remember Astrid's map correctly...

7. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Inland, I think, but a number of them were in other countries. Should prove interesting for Fringe Division to obtain permission to go digging in other nations.

:devil:

8. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

Great episode. Really opens up all sorts of possibilities. I love the idea of this epic arc that so matter-of-factly deals with multiple universes and millions of years of time... destiny, but also "mistakes" that throw destiny off the rails and can change what is supposed to be.

And oh, what will Peter do when he finds out the girl he has been romancing isn't "his" Olivia? When someone he cares about is threatened, he is fiercely protective. He may just want to choke the crap out of Altlivia as soon as he gets the real one back. :lol:

This is what I'm thinking. Remember Brandon's explanation of the Observers' ability to view all of time, therefore knowing what will happen? Knowing the future could be a First People ability.

Plus, the device is millions of years old, but keyed to Peter's DNA. Is this the work of the First People -- Peter has been destined to power the device since the beginning -- or did Walternate key it to Peter when he tried to finish the device?

And what is "Phase Two"? Stick homing devices on all the pieces of the device so the Other Side can retrieve them? And hustle Peter through the doorway too, so Walternate can strap him into the infernal device and set it off?

I wonder if the end of the season will involve the device being finished, with Peter unwillingly strapped in, and the question will be whether Walternate pulls the trigger. Will Peter try to sacrifice himself to stop it? Will Altlivia try to stop Walternate because she has come to realize the "enemy" isn't evil after all? Will the Observers step in? Walter's Observer told him that Peter is important, and must live. So what is his destiny? To enable the device, or to stop it?

I like the idea of the two universes joining forces to battle a common enemy. Wherever they take this, I hope it goes a few more seasons too. I'm really riveted.

9. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

That's something I've been wondering too since learning that this device is THAT old. Logically, the answer is that Walternate keyed it to Peter, but if that's the case, then he had to have done it AFTER he brought Peter back to the alt-verse. There was no way he could've done it when Peter was a child, since the existence of OUR universe wasn't known yet.

So many questions...

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^why would he have to know about our universe to key the device to Peter?

11. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Observer told Walter that ONE of the Peters had to live; since Walter’s was dead, that left Walternate’s. At some point, I’d really like Peter to know the WHOLE story--that Walternate missed seeing the cure, that Walter didn’t, and took steps to ensure that Peter lived.

12. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

Agreed. I understand the (admittedly clever) injection of new conflict between them -- they were getting on so well, something had to go wrong :( -- but I need Peter to know that Walter has the same take-no-prisoners loyalty to his loved ones that Peter has demonstrated himself. Walter is just eating himself up with guilt, and you could tell last season that Peter was rather enjoying the bond re-forming between him and "Dad."

I don't know about Walternate's intentions. Maybe he will turn out to be a sincere, but severely misguided, leader...or a megalomaniac disguised as a benevolent leader, who is willing to sacrifice his son to blow the "enemy" universe to kingdom come, in order to be anointed the leader of the whole world or something. The Big Brother vibe resonating through the Altverse...creepy. I fear that Walternate has nefarious plans for that infernal machine.

13. jbohn

jbohn Commander Red Shirt

Question... why can't Fringe have it's own sub-forum like Lost and Battlestar? It's the best sci-fi show on TV right now!

14. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

it's no a question of awesomeness but rather a matter of number of threads that would pop up and fill the forum's fist page...

15. paudemge

paudemge Captain Captain

I wanted him to tell Peter it was because of his mother, that he didn't have the strength to send him back. "Once your mother saw you there was no way I could send you back".
    Because remember, Peter blames Walter for her death.

Maybe Peter has ancient dna so can use ancient technology.

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

How SG-1 ish of the writers ;)

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Boy, I was a complete Fringe hater in the first two years... I basically stopped watching the standalone episodes... but this season is EXCELLENT. Every episode has been interesting. They finally eliminated the worst thing about the show, Olivia's character, by replacing her with two different versions who both have a sense of humor. And the cross-universe-cutting storytelling is just great. And this stuff about the First People? Totally out there. I love it!

18. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I think what I was hinting at is that since we think the thing is a weapon, why would Walternate be attempting to construct it and possibly use it at a time when he wouldn't have had empirical evidence of our universe, and it consequently being a threat to his. Sure, he could have keyed it to Peter prior to 1985; the question is why?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010