Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

393 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I also liked a lot of the designs (e.g. Shinzon's ship and the Romulan Senate) and there was a pretty good idea and philosophical question buried underneath the rather lacklustre script.
    I like the Romulans, too, (and the Remans) but I prefer the way the Romulans looked in TOS to how they did in TNG.

2. ActionAce1982

ActionAce1982 Ensign Newbie

Hi, everyone! I'm a new member and I have a sad tale to tell. I've been alive 29 years and up until about a week ago, I had NEVER watched any Star Trek episode, cartoon, or movie. Feel free to throw tomatoes at me, I deserve it. I grew up with TOS in syndicated reruns on a daily basis. I remember the cartoons on Nickelodeon, but never watched them. I was around when TNG, DS9, and Voyager were in their original runs, but I never watched them. I've never seen any of the movies. I warned you, this is a sad sad tale.

But about a week ago, some buddies and I were talking about Sci-Fi and they convinced me to watch Star Wars (another sad tale very similar to this one). I loved it and I started asking questions about the Star Trek movies. My friend Keith suggested that I should start with "Wrath of Khan" but as a pre-requisite I should watch "Space Seed".

So I watched "Space Seed" online and I was HOOKED! I loved it, and became a Trekkie that instant. I then became curious about the pilot episode "The Cage", so I watched "The Menagerie Parts 1 & 2". Loved it. I then decided I wanted to learn everything possible about this show that had eluded me all these years.

So I am here fellow Trekkie and I ask your forgiveness for my 29 years of mis-spent youth (although in all fairness, I could probably answer just about any Superman question you could have ;-) It was a big chunk of money but I bought the Remastered DVDs and they are in the mail as I type this. In the meantime I've been watching the eppies on startrek.com

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and I look forward to visiting these boards! Live long and prosper.

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Welcome ActionAce1982, Andromedakay, et al.

As for me, I've been here 6 on TrekBBS just over 6 years and (a bit over 5,000 posts), having discovered it after several years posting over on the old Flare SciFi forums, which went sadly moribund quite a while back.

Although I'm not 100% certain, I'm pretty sure my first exposure to Star Trek was when it was in it's final season on NBC. I was 6. I certainly knew of the show by 1971-72 because I have a paperback book on dinosaurs on the inside cover of which I rendered a crude Enterprise.

It became my favorite thing around 1973 because it was of the fact that the animated show was on NBC Saturday mornings and the series was in daily reruns at 3:30pm, right when I got home from school. I saw TMP on opening weekend...twice.

4. TerragonSix

TerragonSix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello.

Been a fan of Star Trek for a long time. I first started on TNG when I was about 8 or 9. At first I didn't get it, but as I got older, I was hooked. About two years ago, I became a TOS fan after I received the second season on DVD as a gift. Ironically, after watching TNG, TOS, Deep Space Nine, and the Voyager series, I still love the TOS the most.

It's hard to explain; I didn't grow up during that era. I just think it has a certain charm and 'innocence' that the other shows haven't been able to capture.

Anyway, that's me.

5. ActionAce1982

I know what you mean. There's a misconception that whatever you're exposed to first in your life will always be your favorite but that's not necessarily true. Not trying to change subjects, but I'm a huge Superman fan. I grew up during the John Byrne era and those were the first comics I bought. However, now that I've read all the different eras its the Curt Swan silver/bronze age version that I like the best. So I totally see where you're coming from. There's a certain magic to days gone by and the products of that era. I was born in 1982, but I have a huge fondness for TV and all media really, from the 1950s, 60s, and 70s.

6. ActionAce1982

Thanks, Maurice. Glad to be here!

7. Bad-Wolf

Bad-Wolf Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Oh, I didn't saw this thread before. Well, I'm new here. I'm Alexandre, 22 years old, living in Belgium, blah blah blah.
    I think the first time I've watched Star Trek was actually... T.J. Hooker. For some reasons I was a fan of Shatner when I was a kid, from this soap opera. And then my grandfather showed me a VHS of The Motion Picture. And since then Star Trek always have been a part of my life. But some remote part. Until... Until I remembered about that when I was 17 or so, and I decided to buy the first season of all Trek shows. And then I fall in love with DS9. I like the others though.
    But since here people discovered TOS in the 80's, Star Trek has a bad reputation (bad quality and so on) and most people laugh at me when I'm talking about Star Trek :P
    Even an American, who told me once she was a Star Trek fan, and happy to see a "revival" of the Star Trek franchise. Then I started to argue why this movie was really bad. And she answered "Oh, please stop, I'm not that kind of Star Trek fan. But I'm sure you'll find plenty of Americans with whom you can talk about that."
    Hopefully since then I've discovered the novels, and I'm less angry about JJ's movie, but still,...
    Anyway, enough talking.

See ya!

8. Voyagerstardate

Voyagerstardate Ensign Newbie

Welcome everyone. Glad to have everyone on board ^_^

9. Killandra

Killandra Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello everyone! I have visited this site a billion times (okay that's perhaps stretching a bit...), but a friend of mine kind of encouraged me to give this place a shot, so here I am. :)

My name's Renee and I've been a Trek fan since I was in diapers (literally)! I love them all- I watched reruns of TOS as a toddler with my dad, TNG as a kid with my step sister, and a few friends of mine and I carried on to DS9-ENT from our middle school- college days.

Voyager is my fave. It is the one that stole my soul and won't return it. ( Though I will admit my gripe with Voyager is Chakotay's "Native beliefs", but being I am Native American, I feel I am inclined to have that prerogative. Otherwise, I like the character, but my hero of course, is Janeway.)

Aside from Trek, I love other sf movies, series, and books as well as comics, 80s and early 90s cartoons, anime, manga, drawing, traveling, film making, role playing games (like D&D...NOT the other kind, lol), fan fiction, learning new things, and meeting new people. I look forward to meeting everyone. :)

10. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Welcome to the boards :)

11. Killandra

Killandra Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

12. A.V.I.A.F.

A.V.I.A.F. Captain

Hello Everyone,

I have been a regular on on the TOS boards for a little over a year now. I currently tend the TOS Caption Contest and I thought I would check out GTD of which I have heard many good things.

I have been a fan of TOS for over three decades.

13. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

You're just a young pup.:devil:

I used to tend to greetings of newbies and such, then Kirsten187 took the reins and is doing a wonderful job. I haven't been around much lately due to Real Life situations. As always, anyone is welcome to join in welcoming new members to the board.

TrekBBS is much better at helping new members get acclimated than other boards I have visited. There is always someone who will answer a question or lend a hand here.:techman:

14. A.V.I.A.F.

A.V.I.A.F. Captain

Great! Thanks! :)

15. Count Zero

Nice avatar. :)

16. A.V.I.A.F.

A.V.I.A.F. Captain

17. ArcherFanForever

ArcherFanForever Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello Everyone!

So who's into the Trek Conventions, or Trek Khans? I've probably met some of you in Vegas or Chicago. Guess my favorite Trek series would have to be TNG. Favorite character Worf. Been a Trek fan for many, many years. Not sure when I joined this site, but this is my first post in this thread.

:)

18. Vreemdeling

Vreemdeling Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi all, I am new here, but have been a fan for about 15 years. I live in Bloemfontein South Africa, I work as an architect and architectural historian. I am looking forward to all the Trek discussions.

I doubt that I will ever attend a convention since I live in what is basically the Delta Quadrant.

19. JayOwl

JayOwl Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the TrekBBS ArcherFaForever and Vreemdeling! :)

I've never been interested in attended a convention, so never been either. I'm only a casual fan, so I'd probably be very out of place there. :lol:

20. Count Zero

Hi, Vreemdeling! Nice to see someone from South Africa here. Does Star Trek have some following there? Part of my extended family (well, we aren't really related) lived there or hails from there. Also, my Operating system kinda has its origin there. So, I feel some connection to the country.