50th Anniversary Story Official Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Atticus, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

2. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well now I know who "Whistleblower" is. He's a dillusional poster on GB that goes by the name of R.E.D, who's been trying to push his frankly ridiculous theories about what's "really" happening in the series (including The Doctor being dead since The Big Bang) on people at every possible opportunity.

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Cool. I thought that held together narratively better than Moffat's usual work. :)

4. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

YEAH, cause it's not like he's got other things that need to get done first, or knew exactly who would be availible to be in the special.

:sarcasm right back at ya:

Right. NOR does it HAVE to include ANY of the classic Doctors.

And besides, if you chose only one, you would have the fanboys raging that Moffat didn't pick THEIR Doctor. "How DARE you not include Tom Baker! DUDE, you just insulted McGann fans!!"

I'm beginning to think there is NO way for Moffat to get it right with fans.

5. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Beginning to think?!?!? :lol:

The impossibility of that is as plain as the chin on Matt Smith's face. :D

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah the second I saw Omega mentioned in there I knew it was a fake. Fans have been talking about his supposed return for years (along with the Rani and Valeyard), even though it is something that Moffat clearly has no interest in.

7. StCoop

Like what? Making one series in two years?

And if only they had some sort of Casting Director who could ring up people's Agents to find out if they'd be interested in appearing.

I'm really looking forward to seven months of Moffat fans telling us that David Tennant, Billie Piper and Tom Baker's scarf are all you need to represent 50 years of history.

8. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Sherlock? TinTin?

9. StCoop

He dropped out of 'Tin-Tin' before he started Producing Doctor Who. 'Sherlock' is three episodes every 18 months co-produced with Mark Gatiss.

The idea that with only half as many episodes of the TV series to make there simply wouldn't have been enough time to develop a good story with appearances by Original Series Doctors is just nuts.

10. Professor Zoom

ring, ring.

Casting Director: Hi, I'm just calling to see if your client would like to appear in the 50th?

Agent: Sure, maybe, can he see the script?

Casting Director: Nope. There isn't one yet.

Agent: What about the story? What's the story? Will my client have a big part?

Casting Director: No story yet. Just seeing who is around and interested.

Agent: Um. Ok. Sure. Why don't you get back to us when there's like... a script or a story?

Casting Director: Will do.

I'm so glad that your knowledge of TV production isn't getting in the way of your nerd rage.

11. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

In just a couple of years, we here in Indianapolis will celebrate the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500.

And guess what? They won't be running cars in this anniversary race from this great race's long history, even though the vast majority of the past winning cars have been preserved and are in operable condition.

Oh sure, there may be one or two cars that are recent enough to still be active on the circuit, but none of the greats from the past. Those bastards! How dare they call it an anniversary race unless each and every of the surviving 99 winning cars take part in the race itself?

They may as well admit that all they're really celebrating, is the anniversary of the last few years.

Get it?:)

Or to more directly answer the question of what some of the "many more ways to pay respect to the history of the show than by just trotting out the original actors" might be...

I can honestly see how they could fully and satisfyingly honor the entire span of the show, and celebrate the spirit of all his past 'incarnations', through dialog alone (in the right context of course), by having the current Doctor simply reminisce fondly of his past.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  12. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A shame. I think Omega would be ideal for A Matt Smith regeneration story.

I'm also desperate to see the valeyard again, although I think he'd work better as a 12th doctor enemy. Although I hate the Rani in what I've seen her in, I think she could adapt well on screen if done properly and modernised.

13. Professor Zoom

I think the Dream Lord is as close to the Valeyard as we are going to get in this version of Doctor Who. Which I am VERY happy with.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. It's a shame he was considered as a recurring villain, because I think he's one of the best the new series ever came up with.

Certainly better than Simm's Master, at least.

15. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Off topic: It's Tintin! Not TinTin, Tin-Tin, or any other crazy way to spell it! :scream: [/rant]

Now that I have that off my chest, I have to express my disappointment that none of the classic Doctors (to include Paul McGann) are not returning. I'm disillusioned enough to grasp straws in the belief that DWM is misleading the fans (or themselves being misled) out of hope they'll make a brief, surprise in appearance, but I know it's highly unlikely.

That being said, I'm not going to prejudge the special. We already know of a lot of great things that will be in the special, and while they're not the original actors, I'm excited about their inclusion. Only time will tell how good this special actually is.

16. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

If you go by the equation space/trek=doctors/anny,
    and set both numerators near zero,
    what do you get?
    p=pefrormance issues

17. StCoop

Keep up the good work proving my point for me!

18. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I will be genuinely surprised if they don't take advantage of having the sets and actors from An Adventure in Time and Space available. If they were going to bring any of the Doctors back to celebrate an anniversary, the first seems the most obvious choice.

My personal hope was for 9, 10 & 11 to be somehow drawn back to the time war where they would foil some evil Timelordy plot and set 8 on his path to using the moment, followed by 11 making a farewell tour of his previous incarnations culminating in his nudging the first Doctor towards the TARDIS with a "just imagine everything out there" monologue and a wink as he gets in his own and wooshes away.

19. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    Probably about as much as I'm looking forward to seven months of hearing how bad the anniversary special is going to be before anybody even sees it and how Moffat has ruined Doctor Who, hates the classic series and kicked Tom Baker's dog.

20. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

I only started watching in 2005 so I have a very limited knowledge of classic villains, but I have to admit that I was underwhelmed when I read that "Whistleblower" synopsis. I hope it's fake.

As for Matt Smith's regeneration, the way Eleven has been talking and acting since "The Snowmen" has me thinking that he will buy it at some point saving Clara's life. He already blames himself for her Victorian version's death and Oswin saved his life in "Asylum"....he'll give up his life before she dies again. I'm sure of it.