All-Star Superman Specs Announced

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. hamudm

hamudm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sweet. Comes with a digital comic book of All Star Superman... perfect for my iPad :)

As for blu-ray, players are anywhere from $50-$100 now. Pretty much no excuse to not upgrade. But I suppose that's another debate all together ;)

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ There's "an excuse" if one doesn't own an HDTV, however. After all, what good is a Blu-ray Player without an HDTV? ;)

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Part of me is sad this isn't about some funky new pair of Clark Kent glasses.

Only a small part, admittedly.

5. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, to give you access to the audio commentary for one...

6. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

As an owner of a blu-ray player and an HDTV, I can attest to the fact there isn't but a marginal difference between DVD and blu-ray.

Blu-ray is really a way for the companies to take more money from us; nothing else.

Outside of screen-capping, blu-ray doesn't offer much benefit.

7. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I never read this comic, butit looks good.

8. Admiral_Young

The comic is one of my all time favorite Superman stories and have been very much looking forward to seeing this. I will most likely just be renting this as opposed to buying it because of the lack of audio commentary on the regular DVD. The trailer looks good. It looks like that this will really be sliced down to it's core story and certain elements are unfortunately not going to make it into the animation adaption which is fine.

9. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:guffaw:

Yeah, ok. Sure.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=811102

10. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

That reminds me, your optometrist called and left a message. Seems you're about 15 years late on your annual eye exams.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I think there is a good difference between DVD and BR... except for hand drawn animation. I rented Batman Red Hood on BR and there hardly any difference from a DVD.

12. Admiral_Young

Couldn't find another thread about the movie except this one and don't really feel like starting a separate one so I'll just stick with this one. Saw the movie and loved it. Some will probably find it boring. It does significantly take a bulk of Morrison's more "meta" concepts out of the adaption, including a big chunk of Superman's Twelve Challenges. However that being said there are wonderful voice acting performances from the cast, especially James Denton as Superman/Clark Kent, Christina Hendricks as Lois Lane, and Anthony LaPagia as Lex Luthor.

What impressed me with the movie is that Dwayne McDuffie was able to adapt the core elements of Morrison's story and translate them into the animated movie. This is ultimately about idealized versions of these characters and that comes across in the film. The story really comes down to Superman and Lois. The emotions that Superman is dealing with as he prepares to die...and Lex Luthor reveling in his diabolical plan. The score is excellent as well, and the animation is probably the best we've seen it. Frank Quietley's art is translated pretty well but is also streamlined a bit, especially with Lois Lane who's gorgeous in the movie. I would rank this below "Batman Under the Hood" as my second favorite of the DTV's release to date and would highly recommend it.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

My question is, will the commentary be available on the rental Blu-ray as well as the for-sale one? The rental DVDs are usually quite lacking in bonus features.

14. Admiral_Young

Yeah grrrrr...the Morrison commentary is only available on the Blu-Ray. Only reason I'm not buying it. The regular DVD version is sorely lacking in featurettes . It does have the "Superman Now" retrospective interview with Morrison and a sneak peak of "GL: Emerald Knights" which I've not seen yet.

15. Christopher

^My question is not about DVD vs. Blu-ray, which has already been answered, but about rental Blu-ray vs. purchased Blu-ray. When I rent a DVD from Netflix or Blockbuster, it doesn't have all the features that I'd get if I bought the DVD outright (such as the bonus short films). So what I'm asking is, if I rented the Blu-ray of this rather than buying it, would that rental Blu-ray have the commentary?

16. Admiral_Young

I just said the Blu-Ray has it, in the first line of my post and that I was pissed off the regular DVD did not.

17. Christopher

Yes, the Blu-ray has it, but does the RENTAL Blu-ray have it as well as the FOR-SALE Blu-ray? You're not answering the question I'm actually asking.

18. Admiral_Young

I have no idea about the Rental Blu-Ray.

19. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Probably. They tend not to make separate discs for rental market. When you've rented the DVD you were renting the single disc version which didn't included special features. You'd be missing the special features if you bought that version too. The Blu-Rays are all one disc, so if you rent it, then you should get everything on that disc.

20. Christopher

^Okay, thanks.

EDIT: I just discovered something surprising. I read the cast list to All-Star Superman and saw that Dr. Leo Quintum is played by Alexis Denisof -- who is exactly the voice I heard in my head for that character when I read the comics. Wow.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011