Do you think they could use the Borg in the next movie?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lance, May 26, 2013.

1. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a common convention in trilogies for the third to loop back on the first. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are Romulans. Maybe even Nero's younger self.

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Ewoks! And Uhura in a metal bikini!

3. judgeroy

judgeroy Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Sure, I don't have a problem with them tackling the Borg, if done right. Agreed that they are a far better menace without the Queen. However, I read a interview given by Orci a couple of days ago where he states that he wants the next one to to stand down some and have more of a sci fi story influence. That should mollify some of the readers here. I think that would be fine too.

4. Norsehound

Norsehound Captain Captain

Not necessarily.

Outright war might not have been declared but there's nothing to say the Klinks aren't still encroaching on Federation Territory and raiding Fed outposts and shipping. It hasn't been declared but that doesn't mean war isn't still brewing. All that needs to happen is the Klinks clearly stating a disputed area of space/planets belongs to them, and for the Feds to disagree.

Marcus, a Starfleet Admiral, seemed to think it was inevitable. I don't see recall anything in Into Darkness that would have dissuaded that presumption.

5. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Sure, but nuTrek isn't really establishing itself as a trilogy.

6. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Also, the whole thing about the Klingon War being a nonstarter in general simply because it hadn't broken out in that intervening year.

Recall that the Federation/Klingon thing was always allegorical to the Cold War. Bad Robot is likely upholding that sensibility while considering its options for how to break that Cold War into a hot one for future installments if they decide to go that route.

Admiral Marcus was a contemporary rendition of the overzealous patriot ready to take matters into his own hands to crush those Commies before they launched the Red Matt -- er, nuclear wessels.

7. Norsehound

Norsehound Captain Captain

Right, but he might not have been entirely off his rocker. The Klinks seized a couple of planets and were already putting pressure on Federation space ever since they encountered.

I got a space raider/pirate vibe from these Klingons, which makes me think the Klink government sponsors corsairs to go grab resources- which may be preying on Fed shipping. The Feds take exception to this, and the Klinks decide to go to war because the Feds are pushovers in their view.

8. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

No to Borg, Q or Trelan.
    Yes to Klingons, please.

9. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I want to see Enterprise take on a Klingon battle cruiser on the big screen in a stand up shooting match. It's a juvenile desire, but it's something I've wanted to see happen since I was 4 years old watching The Motion Picture.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saving Keenser's planet from Klingon invasion?

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  11. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Not originally, though. They became that way pretty much around First Contact.

12. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Borg? Sure. And given these writers, it wouldn't surprise me if Spockutus shows up with Kirk trying to stop him.

13. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, sure, use the Borg... that's what this alternate timeline is for, right? To do all the same shit that's already been done, yeah?

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Like anything else, it all comes down to execution. If they have a great Borg story to tell, then I'm all for using them.

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

If you had asked me weeks ago I'd have said no to Klingons in the next movie, but after the set up in STID, I say HELL YES...and not the Klingons from STVI, the prissy Shakespearean ones who apparently only own and operate two starships on the eve of war. I'm talking epic, nasty scary Klingons with a fleet. Maybe an Errand of Mercy gone wrong...Kirk evacuating/warning planets in front of the Klingon tide.

16. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Or just delayed. Tensions seem to be rising, and the Empire is expanding. War is inevitable. Who's going to protect the Federation ? YOU ?

17. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

...or as an exploitation movie.

They should totally cast Danny Trejo as Borg King :techman:

18. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

I second this.

19. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Jesus, no. There's no point in rebooting a franchise so you can rehash the same old crap again and again. And the Borg have been done to death. First Contact. Voyager. Even Enterprise had the Borg show up. Tired of the freaking Borg being the default go-to 'bad guy'.

In fact, they shouldn't rehash anything from prior works again. Khan was bad enough. You have a new, clean slate to work with. Why not make original stories for once?

20. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I'd love to see a heated fleet vs fleet exchange. With KLINGONS, yes. After the "big" Narada and the "big" Vengence I'd be impressed to see a large scale battle for a change instead of a hulking behemoth. Especially since now CGI and not real ship models are being used it is a uniquely ideal time to do it!

As for the Borg question of the title, I haven't read the whole thread, but couldn't it be argued that Borg elements are already in both films? The Narada was equipped with Borg weapons and the Klingons reverse-engineered them from the 3 years that Nero and his crew were captive. Isn't all that canon but offscreen from books/comics, etc?

I'm inclined to agree with you in general, however this incarnation of the Trek franchise seems to be a smattering of "what if" scenarios and I think a major part of enjoying these films is accepting that. Maybe they'll go with the unknown next time around but I doubt it. I don't think we'll see anything generally brand new until Trek is on the small screen again. Strange news worlds, they say? New life and new civilizations, they say? Well sure, but only for the first 5 minutes.

Rehashing = What If Scenarios. Paramount's theory of profit. We'll see Q riding a Borg cube into Cestus 3 so Kirk can fight some Gorn with styrofoam rocks. Then after picking up some Tribbles from Deep Space 9 (time travel) they'll end up stuck in the delta Quadrant thanks to The Caretaker.