Movies Seen in 2012

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Starbreaker, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Movies Seen in 2009
    Movies Seen in 2010

1. Morning Glory (2010) ✭✭✭ 1/2
    [​IMG]
    First of all, I'm a fan of all the actors in this movie. Patrick Wilson has a good supporting role and even Ty Burrell has a nice cameo at the beginning of the movie. It's actually very consistently funny in my opinion, despite the middling reviews it got from critics. I laughed out loud out this way more than I did at Bridesmaids.

I used the Random Movie Genre Generator and it told me I should watch a Sci-fi disaster movie next. I'm tempted.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wait the new year just started and you've already seen a movie? You decided to start a movie at Midnight or something? ;)

3. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've opened the new year with the original Star Wars.

Since it's 2012, I'm going to watch 2012 today.

4. Starbreaker

Not intentionally. I'm generally up until 1 or 2 on nights I don't have to work!

5. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Cowboys & Aliens - DVD

Rented C&A and Rise of the Planet of the Apes last night, but have only watched one of 'em, so far...

C&A was pretty good, I liked it. Made me wish my dad were still around, so I could add it to the list of scifi movies we could watch together (that list is just Star Trek IV & GalaxyQuest).

Daniel Craig was appropriately bad ass & Harrison Ford was gruff as all get out. Didn't care much for Sam Rockwell's Doc, but Clancy Brown was pretty good as the preacher. And Olivia Wilde was nice to look at...

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

1. Daddy Day Care: (B-) Saw this last night while I was doing other things. It stars Eddie Murphy and Jeff Garlin as men who open a day care service. It was mildly amusing from what I saw.

At the Theatre: 0
    On DVD/Blu-Ray: 0
    On TV: 1
    On the Computer: 0

7. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I just came back from seeing Shame. Spoilers follow.

I rather enjoyed it. It's definitely a depressing movie, but I thought it was a really thoughtful, provocative and even heart-breaking examination at sex addiction and the toll it has on someone's life. Michael Fassbender does a really fantastic job as Brandon, and I loved his quiet intensity. I almost wish he didn't cry during the scene where Sissy is singing at the bar, if only because Fassbender is such an emotive actor that he can get across so much without saying a thing. He really owns the movie with his strong, introverted performance and I could relate to him very much. I've lived with people before when I wanted to be isolated, and at times I've felt equally frustrated and confined. In that sense, I could really resonate with Brandon's conflict.

As for his affliction, while I don't have as strong sexual desire as he does, I do have a very high sex drive, and so in some sense I could empathize with some of his plight in that regard. I also thought the movie was wonderfully restrained, especially in dramatic moments that could have quickly become overwrought (such as the "confrontation" scene between Brandon and Sissy, which was acted, framed, directed and written so perfectly; it felt like a conversation I've had with family members, or people that have brought conflict into my life, as cliche as that sounds). Carey Mulligan did a rather splendid job as well in my opinion. I thought she was appropriately vulnerable, even if it veered on manipulation at times, but I've been in her shoes, so I could even sympathize with her as well. I was a little worried during two parts in the film. The first was when Brandon ended up with a guy, mostly because I was concerned the film was going to make this a dramatic and "shocking" moment. However, I felt it was nicely underplayed. It wasn't the fact that Brandon, who appears mostly straight throughout a majority of the film, is having sex with a guy (I don't think it was meant to be titillating or shocking in that sense). I think it was there to show just how low Brandon is willing to venture in order to get his "fix". That moment could have been handled a lot worse, and in less capable hands it probably would have, but I was relieved to see it handled with nuance. The other part in which I was worried was the ending. I knew after the confrontation between Brandon and Sissy that something bad was going to happen, but I liked how the film subverted my expectations in two ways: at first, when we think Sissy has jumped into the subway (which was nicely foreshadowed in the beginning of the film) and then when it is revealed that she cut herself - since I thought she was going to die, and that was going to be the ending. I was worried because I was hoping the film wouldn't have an overwrought, melodramatic ending with a clear message ("This is what happens when you have too much sex!") and I was relieved when Sissy was revealed to be, in fact, alive. The ending was, in my humble opinion, pretty perfect. It was a really great bookend that was fantastically ambiguous. I was very happy with the ending.

Overall, I rather liked the film. I thought almost every aspect was handled with artistic and creative aplomb. The music was subtle but evocative, the acting all across the board was top notch, and the visuals and cinematography was particularly exquisite.

8. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Um, it's only the second day.

But I'll play along: yesterday I watched Superman The Movie (1978), kicking off a week long DVD marathon of the Superman films. Later this evening will be the original version of Superman II.

As for films actually released in 2012, We'll just have to wait and see.

9. tomalak301

You add to the list as you see movies throughout the year, or however you want to do it. I like this thread in that It does help me maintain a list so I know what movies I saw in a specific year. I have a hard time remembering such things so this really helps.

10. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, memory troubles. Between my cerebral palsy (which was caused by brain damage at birth) and my migraines (hereditary), I can certainly relate.

And just a side note, I was the second person to comment sarcastically on it being the new year, you were the first.

11. tomalak301

Like I said, memory problems ;)

12. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

1. Warhorse- B

It had a slow start, but once the war started...

13. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bad Boys (8)

14. Snowygirl

Snowygirl Cadet Newbie

I have not watched any movies so far in this year. However I am looking forward to watch “Devil Inside” which will be released somewhere on 06th of January. It is a horror and thrilling movie according to the trailer I watched.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

1. Holy Rollers (B-)

An interesting movie about the use of Hacidic Jews to smuggle drugs into the United States from Amsterdam in the late 1990s, the movie succeeds based upon its cast, which is excellent. The script is less interesting -- it seems that some of the most interesting events are relegated to title cards at the end, rather than being dramatized -- but the movie is never unengaging. Jesse Eisenberg is good, and Justin Bartha is far better than The Hangover or National Treasure movies let on. It's a shame he doesn't get to appear in more films as interesting (or at least, potentially interesting) as this.

Theatres: 0
    Home Video: 0
    Computer: 1 (+1)

16. Gothowitz

Gothowitz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The only Star Wars movie worth watching!
    '77 Star Wars.
    No Episode IV crap.

I started the year with Team America, World Police. :techman:

17. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I totally missed out on last years thread having watched 223 movies so shall see how I do this year.

I will only note down the movies I haven't seen before. First this year is "Curse of the golden Flower". Not as impressive as Zhang's "Hero" or "House of flying Daggers" but Gong Li is Super hot as always.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473444/

18. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

1. The Adjustment Bureau ***3/4

This was a nice, fairly interesting movie that could have been quite good if it had been a little more developed. Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, and Terence Stamp were all excellent as usual, but the film was slightly thin and lacking in fullness. In some ways, the movie was an odd - but enjoyable - mix of a film like Here Comes Mr. Jordan and an espionage thriller like Three Days of the Condor (without the killing).

Rating Key:
    ***** Must See
    **** Will Enjoy
    *** It's Okay
    ** Fairly Bad
    * Awful

19. Starbreaker

1. Morning Glory (2010) ✭✭✭ 1/2

2. Special (2005) ✭✭✭
    [​IMG]

This is actually a very engrossing movie about a guy who thinks he can suddenly levitate, walk through walls, and read minds. Micael Rappaport delivers a great performance. The "villains" were very dumb, though. If they had been more believable, I would have rated this movie higher.

20. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed, my special edition DvD hasn't even been out of the case, but the theatrical release version has seen several viewings.

I watched Taxi Driver new years day for the first time in over 30 years.