Would you really leave in a Starship?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by ZapBrannigan, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, 100% without question.

My life is pretty "meh" I mean it's not bad, but it's not the stuff of dreams either.

Going into space on a mission of discovery? That's the stuff of dreams, and i'd go in a heartbeat.

2. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I would sign up before they finished getting the offer out of their mouths.

3. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So once we're out there, what do you think we'll find, and what do you wish we'd find?

I think we'd have a long slog, picking over solar systems with no life until we finally came upon anything alive.

For wishes, I think one of the coolest things we could find is a wilderness planet with megafauna, like large dinosaurs, pteradactyls, etc. Big 'uns! :)

4. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

I'd do it. Screw university, this would be the ultimate resume enhancer.

Also, it'd be pretty cool, I guess.

5. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No. However, If I wasn't married and had kids then, yes, I'd go in a heartbeat.

6. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. Learning what's out there first hand must be about the most exciting thing there is.
    Let's just hope the first planet we come about isn't populated by hallucination inducing spores or flesh eating bacteria or something like that.

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Yes times a zillion.

What am I going to do at home? Make a good wage at my job, watch TV, hang out with friends. All stuff I enjoy doing, but nothing special, exciting, or universe-changing. Who wouldn't want to be there on the first wave of a new front for humanity?

8. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, as long as my name appears in the opening credits. I figure I'm relatively safe, then.

9. LoneDragon

LoneDragon Lieutenant Red Shirt

I just noticed that the TC is Zap Brannigan...if he's recruiting for this mission, then he's in command...I'm not sure that ship is safe.

10. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Both are VERY valid points! :techman:

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Oh, we'll be fine. Those robots have pre-set kill limits!

12. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then I'll just hurl wave after wave of my own men at them until the killbots reach their limit! :techman:

13. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

By changing only a few lines of code, killbots can easily be converted into fembots.

It going to be a long trip.

:)

14. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree, I think that I would volunteer as well.

15. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

If I left now, I would probably be in my late twenties upon the ship's return. It would be an adventure, an educational experience and as noted would look fantastic on my resume. While there might be dangers on the mission, I would want a reasonable expectation of a round trip.

Were the ship to have a crew the size of the Enterprise Dee, about a thousand people , there would be enough of a assemblage for me to acquire a nice circle of friends during the journey. But not so large that over the course of years I couldn't become acquainted with just about everyone.

Perhaps more like living in a small isolated town somewhere, or on a island community. At the speed the ships move in the various series, the time between star system would be measure in days. Depending upon what it is you do aboard, there would be opportunities to leave the ship for investigations, to explore, or simply to stretch your legs in a unique environment.

True, but if given the chance to just go to some place like Mars for a extended visit, then return to Earth, wouldn't you want too? Even knowing in advance that it's (probably) completely lifeless.

:)