THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skywalker, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

^^It'd have to be "out of Isengard", as the TTT wargs were Saruman's forces... and we know he was already doing breeding experiments. :D

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yep. It was originally going to split into two films, but back around Comic-Con they decided that they had enough material for three films instead.

I was a little annoyed with it at first, but now I'm okay with it. Based on where I think each movie will start and end, I think there's going to be enough in them to make it worthwhile. The original plan did seem kind of like the two films would be a bit overstuffed, in retrospect.

3. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

They probably shot a lot of scenes and instead of allowing the studio to cut it down they decided to make it a trilogy.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

You know I've never been exactly clear on where all those Orcs were before they started ripping apart Isengard. Were they hidden down in the caverns all along, or did Sauron send them and the wargs after Saruman switched sides?

It seems a bit hard to believe that one of the White Council could have orcs coming and going to his home all that time and nobody noticed.

5. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

Saruman became obsessed with the One Ring almost from the start. When he arrived in Middle Earth he traveled Eastward where he most likely gained much of his knowledge of Sauron's ring. After returning to the west he founded the White Council, not so much for combating Sauron's evil, but as a means of foiling his and the Nazgul's attempt to gain footholds and rise to power. Saurman had befriended the people of Gondor where he learned about how the ring was lost. He became obsessed with finding the Ring and becoming greater than Sauron. He manipulated the Gondorians into giving him Orthanc which was near the Anduin river; knowing it was a logical base of operations since this is where Isildur lost the Ring. He became increasingly isolated at this time. During meetings of the White Council he would manipulate the discussions to hide the fact that he was secretly searching for the Ring. So even at this time Saruman began using unsavory minions (wildmen, outlaws and and probably orcs in some fashion). When he caught on that a ring had been found by Bilbo and Gandalf had knowledge of it he begain building his army. He insisted to the Council that the Ring was lost forever and dissolved the organization. 50 years later when he was about to make his move he used Radagast in a plot to lure Gandalf to him and either try to sway him to his alliegence or eliminate him. The film seems to indicate that Gandalf meet and was imprisoned by Saurman just by happenstance while the book says that it was all plotted out long before.

6. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Eh, the LOTR wargs were one of my least favorite designs in the films - but they weren't bad enough for me to care a whole heckuva lot about it. Plus, I see no reason why the wargs in The Hobbit can't be much closer to Tolkien's descriptions. They come from another place ... and another time than Saruman's pets.

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I think that name came only later. In The Hobbit, it's marked on the map as 'The Lonely Mountain,' and there are references throughout the story to "the Mountain" and to "the King Under the Mountain" returning to reclaim the throne of Thrór.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

That's what I thought. This gives me hope that they'll include the conversation between Thorin and Gandalf about Smaug being used as a weapon for Sauron. Or, at the very least, they'll include a similar conversation with someone - basically, continue the effort of Tolkein to tie the Hobbit with the Lord of the Rings.

9. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am hoping for a bit of back story of Smaug driving the dwarves put of Erebor.

And I wouldn't mind seeing Gandalf and the members or some of the members of the white council refer to the possible role Smaug could play under the influence of a greater evil.

10. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

It's interesting that there's been neither hide nor scale nor mention of Smaug in the trailers so far... I think that there's a bit of pressure on WETA here. After what they did in LotR they basically are expected to redefine the on-screen dragon's realism, and given how high they've set the bar it's going to be a challenge. It's one of the things I'm most looking forward to in this project.

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Honestly, as much as I'm dying to see what Smaug looks like, I never expected to see him until we're close to the release date for the second film. It's going to be a huge reveal, and as you said, there's a lot of pressure on WETA to create a visually appealing dragon. Of all of the movies we've seen over the years, I've never liked what I've seen for dragon designs. At least for live action because I am somewhat partial to the Smaug design in the Rankin/Bass' production of The Hobbit.

12. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

There is a mention of Smaug in one of the alternate endings to the latest trailer.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Surprised to find out that Arwen/Liv Tyler isn't in it. When they are in Rivendell, wouldn't have been a problem to have a small scene with her and Agent Smith.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not all surprised we haven't seen Smaug yet. I think they realize how curious people are about him, so they're probably waiting to make it a big surprise in the movie. Honestly, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they didn't show the design at all before his first appearance onscreen. At least not on purpose, it could always leak early.

15. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

^ I think we'll see him first right at the end of movie one, or possibly even in a trailer appended to it. Smaug will probably be intended as a big draw for the second movie, so there would probably be little wisdom in showing much a year before it debuts.

16. Greylock Crescent

Well, we do, in fact, get to see an image of Smaug in the trailers: On the map. :D

But there's no real reason to show the fully-rendered version until the trailer to The Desolation of Smaug. An Unexpected Journey will be served by the pent-up demand for a Hobbit film and the trailers featuring Gollum. And IIRC, there weren't any trailers attached to the ends of FOTR or TTT. I'm guessing our first look at Smaug may be with the teaser to Desolation, and/or, perhaps, Comic Con 2013.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

If we do see Smaug in An Unexpected Journey, I think it'd be during flashbacks to his conquest of Erebor.

18. Greylock Crescent

^ That'd be the most logical place to reveal him in Film 1. And honestly, considering the lack of promotion for Smaug the Magnificent, it'd be one helluva surprise to see him on screen this December. But I still think a trailer for Film 2 is the most likely official reveal.

19. mswood

I would actually be very surprised if we didn't get some history leading to the downfall of Erebor. But they could certainly tell the tale in a way to not really showcase much of Smaug. I mean look at the history of the ring, and how little the actually showed the audience of Gollom in that one scene and saved the big reveal for the Two Towers.

20. mswood

But a ot of that depends on the take Jackson and fellow writers are taking with the material.

Based of the teaser, I was expected a fairly series telling of the story in the exact same style as the previous LOTR films.

Now after the first trailer, I expect a much more humorous take of the tory, possible aimed at the full family. And if that really represents the films, I could see them not focusing on the history of said events.

I want some of the humor as the Hobbit is a lighter tale, but I really want the majority to be told in a manner very similar to LOTR.