ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

Again, Robocop is not SWAT, he's not a ninja and he's not an assassin. He rolls up, gets everyone's attention and either intimidates perps into submission or blows them away. He's not hopping off walls and getting into Matrix kung-fu fights. And the end of argument concerning the black armor: nuRobocop's eyeline GLOWS RED. Glowing =/= stealthy. Either make him actually stealthy (which is stupid to do with a giant man-robot) or don't bother.

Better yet, the filmmakers should have come up with their OWN idea of technology encroaching on man and government/corporate corruption and not called it Robocop. Then there would only be a comparison between the two and not inbuilt expectations.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, obviously it's for the audience but it's implied its how the system operates which doesn't make sense.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised there's debate about the original Robocop's design...it's clear from the first film that they "lost" almost all the organic parts. Basically the head and brain are all that are left.

Secondly, what happened in that movie has little bearing in this one, so the arguments about what's "proper" Robocop are moot, since this is a new incarnation. This point reminds me of the endless comments about what was proper for Khan in TOS/TWOK, when STID was a new reality..

RAMA

4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I never got beyond the first movie either. I did try though. I am looking forward to seeing this though. I do like the new suit and I am curious to se what they will do with this movie.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  5. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Had to look that up, I remember watching a few eps of the animated series as a kid but not that one I don't think. Why, was it really bad?
    A cheap cartoon cash in hardly counts as part of the franchise anyway, I don't think many fans of say Back to the Future, Bill & Ted, Dumb & Dumber, Ace Ventura etc take those cartoons to be "canon"

6. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

No. He was definitely in pain when he was stabbed with the beam. I can't imagine the programmers were sitting around and said: "Hey, how about we have him scream out in pain for shits and giggles whenever something pierces his body."

7. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

It's definitely one of the goofier entries for the Robocop property, I doubt you could get further from the tone of the first movie if you tried. Here is the intro (lol at the roller skates).

8. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I was going to point out the original cartoon, but then I realized you guys were talking specifically about Alpha Commando.

I watched a few episodes back in the day. I remember an episode where he was in a snowy setting with snow shoes(!) on. He turns to the screen and says "Heavy Metal" then sinks into the snow.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Who is that show about again? ;)

I'm glad I don't remember that cartoon. It looks painful. I did have Robocop toys as a kid, though. A Robocop figure, a police car (which, sadly, was a 1988 Ford Taurus) and coolest of all an ED-209 figure!

10. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Those Robocop figures they put out based on the first cartoon were extremely high quality, I really wanted them when I was a kid, but not enough to beg my mom for them (I was more of a Ninja Turtles guy.

I thought the Robocop figure was the coolest of all, where his helmet actually came off.

11. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

His torso is organic too, hence the blood from when Lt. Hedgecock's men and ED-209 shoot him up and later on when Boddicker stabs him in the chest. I quote:

"We were able to save the left arm."

Bob Morton: "What? I thought we agreed on total body prosthesis, now lose the arm, okay?"

So based on that dialogue, it's definitely Murphy's torso, brain and face with robotic arms and legs.

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Yeah alpha commando turned robocop into inspector gadget

There was even one scene where he took a shower wearing a showing cap and sung in the shower

Gotta also love 80's children non safety rules too. Those blaster cap figures were awesome.

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Devil's advocate: while I agree that a big shiny black robot with a glowing red eye is decidedly NOT stealthy, there is something to be said for it being intimidating.

Indeed I think I read somewhere that the reason that the SAS use black fatigues in situations like the Iranian Embassy siege, is precisely because of the intimidation factor.

Despite what 70's ninja movies would have you believe, wearing black in the dark doesn't make you invisible. Far from it. In anything other than total pitch black (where the colour would be irrelevant anyway) black actually really stands out as a silhouette. You'd do better wearing desaturated shades of green & grey for blending in with shadows.

14. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

They sure took a long time writing the lyrics for that one, huh? Good god.

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I didn't even know there was a cartoon. All I know of are the three movies, the live-action series and the mini series where they had another Robocop that was tinted blue.

16. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

There were two Robocop cartoons. Alpha Commando was a later one, but there was another one that lasted one season in the late 80s. It was darker than the Alpha Commando series, but they changed it so that Boddiker was still alive and showed up as a villain a few times.

The Marvel comic series from the early 90s written by Simon Furman.

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

90s cartoons are so garish...

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

It's kind of ironic that they were do determined to make Robocop safe and kid-friendly, when it was the dark and edgy style of the original movie that made kids like me fall in love with the character in the first place.

Once you've seen him be a total badass in the original movie, the last thing you want to see is him pulling his punches and shooting guns out of people's hands.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never understood the obsession that Hollywood had with turning R rated movies like Robocop into kid friendly cartoons. I know a lot of people take little kids to R rated movies, but it's always seemed weird to me that they would actually promote the characters for kids who were to young to be familiar with the movies.

20. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I saw the trailer for the remake Riddick and it does look pretty good, but it's not as gritty and dark as the original. The original had such a huge impact I can't see the remake having the same impact on audiences, the original went out of it's way to blow your mind with shocking and sometimes funny(in a dark way) scenes, this movie looks rather ordinary.