Question about one reality from Parallels.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Vanyel, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

In Parallels, we saw two reality that had something to do with the Borg. The one where the Federation, and maybe all the Alpha Quadrant, are assimilated by the Borg. The other has Picard lost to the Borg, but otherwise everything seems okay.

So how did Riker and crew defeat the Borg in that reality? Did everything happen exactly as portrayed except Picard did not survive the destruction of the Cube; or Picard was able to resist long enough for the Deflector Dish weapon to work.

I would like to think that everything happened as it did in BoBW except that Picard did not survive the destruction of the cube.

What other ideas are out there?

2. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

That's what I always thought too, things proceeded mostly according to our universe's BOBW, but they were somehow unable to rescue him.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always liked to think the super deflector beam they fired at the cliffhanger worked in that one.

4. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Wonder how DS9 turned out in that universe, since Sisko wouldn't have become a broken man....

5. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Wolf 359 happened before they were able to destroy the cube. Picard's rescue and/or death would've been after that. Damage already done

I kind of assumed that things played out the same, except Picard had not survived being separated from the collective, upon destruction of the Borg cube, and died in sickbay.

Although, since Riker states in Parallels that Picard had been "killed" we could also consider that he was never rescued at all, and was destroyed aboard the cube as Locutus, by some other means

However, I can't imagine what those means could have been. Locutus was aware of all the plans and tactics the Enterprise could use. Accessing the collective through Locutus was the only option they had besides destroying themselves. So, I tend to lean toward them doing so, and Picard dying afterward. It wasn't that hard to capture Locus anyhow

6. Jerikka Dawn

Jerikka Dawn Captain Captain

We know that in the same quantum reality that the Bajorans overthrew the Cardassian Occupation and became more aggressive. Unfortunately, that's the only clue we're given.

If the deflector pulse worked, Wolf 359 didn't happen, Jennifer Sisko didn't die. It's possible Sisko remained first officer aboard the Saratoga or became her captain later on.

Additionally, things likely could have gone down a lot different in "Ensign Ro" with Riker in command of the Enterprise without Picard there and the plan hatched up by Admiral Kennely and the Cardassians may have worked. Part of that scenario may have also hinged on how much influence Guinan may have had on Captain Riker during those events since, had it not been for her, Picard may not have given Ro the benefit of the doubt in the original timeline.

The outcome of that episode alone could have affected Bajoran/Federation relations, with the Bajorans seeing the Federation as allied with the Cardassians after Kennely helped them grease a bunch of Bajoran refugees.

This would be an interesting "Myriad Universes" story. It sure as hell would have given the Prophets a headache though.

7. Hando

Hando Commander Red Shirt

^^^^
    I always thought that they used the command "die" on Picard, rather than "sleep".
    I am just not sure now where from I got this idea.

8. R. Star

Probably the same place I got the idea of the deflector working and destroying them. Imaginations are nice things. :p

9. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Crusher sneezed during a crucial moment of the de-Borging surgery.

(They don't like to talk about it.)

:p

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Wesley pulled some trick out of his ass and saved the universe.

11. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always thought it would be interesting to set a story in this universe. O'Brien would probably still be on the Enterprise. Sisko would still be on the Saratoga. Perhaps you could have Bashir and Dax join him and have them discover the Bajoran wormhole.

12. Finn

^Assuming Sisko was responsible for O'Brien being reassigned to DS9.

13. Vanyel

Had the Deflector Pulse worked, I think The Prophets would have found some way to get Sisko to Bajor. Maybe his finding the wormhole happened later than in the Prime Reality. His being the Emissary could have been enough for Kai Opaka (assuming she lived) to persuade the Bajoran Government to call off hostilities with the Federation. A new Space Station of Federation design with Bajoran influences could have been built near the mouth of the Wormhole. That could have been starting during Parallels, or a few years after it.

Ensign Ro under Riker would have been an even better story to watch, I believe, because of Riker's distrust of Ro, Guinan may have had to lead Riker into his own way of trusting Ro instead of just bringing him to the Captain and use her sway to have him listen. Or by that time Guinan could have built up enough trust with Riker to pull the same stunt.

It would have been a sadder ending to BoBW for Picard to die at the moment of victory, but, if he was a counterpart to the Borg Queen, Picard could have come back at some time as a foe Riker would have doubts about trying to kill.

It might have made Parallels better if they had got Elizabeth Dennehy to come back as Shelby for the episode.

Still, I think Picard not surviving the destruction of the Cube at Earth would have been what happened.

14. Finn

^That's a bit fanboyish

15. Vanyel

Which part?

16. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I assumed it was probably Starfleet Command who did that.

Uhhh, all of it?

You're assuming, of course, that there even ARE any Bajorans in Starfleet in this universe. (Conversely, we do know there's at least one Cardassian in Starfleet in this universe).

17. Vanyel

Isn't this whole thread about assumptions?

But if you both wish to dismiss my ideas as fanboyish, please do so at your pleasure.

18. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Let's face it, any post on this entire board proposing a hypothetical situation in the Star Trek universe is going to have at least 1% of fanboyism in it. It doesn't matter if it's a what-if scenario, a book discussion, a fan film, lengthy discussions on the technical aspects of the complexity of transporter pattern buffers, or whether Uhura sleeps in the nude.

19. R. Star

While we're at fanboyishness, let's have Kira or Ro command the Bajoran ship. :p

20. Finn

with a borgified Scotty as Chief Engineer :)