Are the Cardassians the most interesting Race in the Star Terk Galaxy?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Thor Damar, Feb 5, 2009.

1. PSGarak

PSGarak Commodore Commodore

Re: Are the Cardassians the most interesting Race in the Star Terk Gal

^ I can't get PM's yet, but my two week time period should be almost up. I'm looking forward to it!

2. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..

Alas PSGarak you still have over a week to go. I too would be interested to see what you've cooked up Nerys Ghemor.

That's quite an important point made about the nature of Totalitarianism, (although there are always limits to how absolute it can really be) we can never be sure who the 'real' Cardassian is and what is the front persona. By this I mean that a Cardassian would always be very careful about what he/she says or does and would always bury their true feelings. So you can never tell what is true or not for example who Mr Garak actually is. (It's true that ASiT revels a lot about Elim Garak but it comes from the mans own diary for the consumption of one Dr Bashir...:shifty:)

I think that Damar and one or two others maybe the exception that proves the rule. His rather gruff abrasive manner and his obvious sense of inferiority is the polar opposite of the slickness of Dukat and Garak. Damar truly believes in the Cardassian people and when he realised that he had failed them he turned to drink, it was only with the rebellion that Damar found his strength and leadership. (and like any true patriot he learned to face up to some unpleasant truths about his nation, witness the brilliant scene with Kira in tacking into the wind). However Damar is, in my eyes a rather rare individual in the Cardassian system, most Cardassians are either narcissistic like Dukat or sycophantic like Broca.

On the plus side the Cardassian people must enjoy a dark and sardonic sense of humor...

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  3. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed, I imagine they would.

Tekeny Ghemor would also be a major exception--but then again, I actually got the idea a lot of Cardassians could be decent: Gilora Rejal and Ulani Belor seemed like they were. :)

And I'll send you a PM, Thor, explaining what I'm up to.

4. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Natima Lang, her students... Mila also seemed a quite straightforward old lady. Some of the military Cardies we've met weren't nice but weren't particularly narcissistic or sycophantic either, just your average gruff military types. Rusot was one such, only dimmer and more prejudiced than Damar. I think we've seen all sorts of different Cardassian personalities, even though we've seen just a small portion of the population, and almost none of them were 'ordinary people'.

Really, is it logical :vulcan: to derive such a broad generalization based on the few Cardassian individuals who obviously can't be typical of the entire population of billions, since they are distinguished figures in 1) military and politics or 2) secret police.

5. Thor Damar

No it is not. Thank god that we saw such a level of characterization in the Cardassians that we saw onscreen. In fact I would argue that they are the most realistic of the trek races. (was going to say the most human but...)

6. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In my time, humanity has evolved beyond the need for characterization.

7. Thor Damar

Then it is no longer humanity, for what are we but the sum of our imperfections?

8. Trevacious

Trevacious Captain Captain

This is why I enjoyed DS9's Rules Of Engagement. The Klingon prosecutor, Ch'Pok, represented the return of the wily Klingon. He was a classic in the original series tradition.

9. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wile E. Klingote?

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Eh, I always saw the TOS Klingons as generic bad guys really. There was nothing to make them unique in any way, there were just guys up to no good.