Let's Talk About Horror Fiction and Film

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Spaceman Spiff, Oct 10, 2007.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I love that set. His movies are stylish and surreal, like being pulled into a nightmare.

2. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. Very interesting documentary.

Not only is it a very good movie, with a great performance by Karloff--it actually presents a surprising amount of historically-accurate information.

Every time I teach my 19th-century European history seminar, I have my students read Ruth Richardson's Death, Dissection, and the Destitute--a book about body-snatching, medical education, and the Anatomy Act of 1832. The movie could have been based on that book.

3. RJDiogenes

My copy of House Of Wolf Man shipped today, along with Curse Of The Full Moon, an anthology of short stories. Now I have to resist watching it for the next 28 days. :rommie:

4. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

Well I've just ordered Session 9 and Jacob's Ladder from Amazon, since I've heard that elements from both movies where technique and thematic inspirations for the Silent Hill series, so I'll see what they're like.

I've also been reading H. P. Lovecraft's Mountains of Madness Omnibus recently as well. Some of the stories are good, and nearly all of them surreal. However, one of the short ones (I can't remember the name of the top of my head) just fell completely flat for me. :(

5. RJDiogenes

Not all of Lovecraft's work is top notch. I made the mistake of reading his entire set all at once, and it actually turned me off of Lovecraft for several years.

6. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. As the saying goes, Lovecraft's work profits by selection. Reading his stories is like panning for gold.

The gold, however, is exceptionally fine. When the stars were right, the man wrote some damn good horror stories.:techman:

7. RJDiogenes

Indeed it is. :bolian:

8. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

Re: Hallowe'en Reading and Viewing, 2010!

I guess it's time to rename this thread again. Where does the time go?

I haven't watched House of the Wolf Man yet, but I checked it just to make sure it's working, and, well, the look of it is pretty good, but it's got a few seams. Michael R. Thomas's Dracula is pretty great, though. I'll probably watch it over the weekend and let you guys know what I think.

Another one in a similar vein that I ordered after hearing positive things is Maxwell Stein:

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm going to get crucified for saying this probably but I'm very much looking forward to seeing "Paranormal Activity 2" in a few weeks. Also just started to read "Abraham Lincoln:Vampire Hunter".

10. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

Eh, I thought Paranormal Activity was decent, though it's become fashionable to trash it.

11. Admiral_Young

I saw the original theatrical version online (and loved it) as opposed to the reshot version which was the wide released and preferred Katie being dead so I was vehemently opposed to a sequel. The trailer and the virals have since changed my mind.

12. RJDiogenes

Ah, check it to make sure it's working. Yes, I should do that. :rommie: My first plan was to keep it in the mailer until Halloween, but that only lasted about 24 hours. Now it's still sealed in plastic, but you've given me an excuse to open that. :D

Well, just because they don't have a perfect grasp of grammar and punctuation doesn't mean they can't make a good movie. :D Too bad they're not available through Amazon; I hate using PayPal.

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Taped four Hammer DRACULA flicks off TCM last night. Look forward to watching them in the weeks to come . . . .

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

My Netflix queue is loaded up over the next 6 weeks.
    Last week I watched the animated Resident Evil: Regeneration.
    I just got Zombieland which I haven't seen as well.
    After that its the Evil Dead trilogy. The original is actually the only I've seen completely and that was years ago.

I'll update the rest as I go through the month.

15. Admiral_Young

"Zombieland" is awesome and the second one should be as well when they start production. A script was being finished last word on the project.

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

How is the book? I admit I've read one of the series, "Jane Slayre" because I like Jane Erye. Although "Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter" sounds good too.

And honestly Greg shame on you, I picked up all the Hammer Dracula's on DVD, they aren't that expensive.

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Well, by "taped," I mean I recorded them on my DVR to watch later. I wasn't going to stay up until four AM just to watch them all in one night!

18. Admiral_Young

Abe Lincoln:Vampire Hunter is pretty interesting so far. It'll probably take me a week to finish it.

19. RJDiogenes

I missed the Hammer Films last night. :( I'll have to keep my eye on TCM. I'm sure they'll be doing more over the next few weeks. And maybe they'll put them up on On Demand.

20. Deckard

Deckard Captain Captain

I've just started reading Susan Hill's The Woman in Black, I'm about half-way through it and so far it's turning out to be the quintessential ghost story.
    Apparently ITV made it in to a one off drama scripted by Nigel Kneale (creator of Quatermass), which I would love to see but the DVD has been out of print for some time.

Movie-wise I've been enjoying a few old black and white horror films like The Innocents and the 1963 release of The Haunting.

I'm also slowly making my way through Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes and his short story collection, not because they're bad (far from it) but due to my reading routine changing abruptly.

I also recommend the Millennium episode "The Curse of Frank Black" as perfect Hallowe'en viewing.