STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I assumed they were coffins right up till a few days ago. The coffins could have been from the attack on Starfleet. The frost could be because they preserved the bodies, or some sort of futuristic method of preparing the body. Easy.

2. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, there were some who thought one of the vague faces had ridges on its forehead like Klingons. But that was unlikely, so yeah, the jig was up then.

Didn't the very first teaser have the hands on the glass scene? Turns out that months before release, we got a glimpse of what a lot of folks vehemently dismissed as anything but what it turns out to be:
    Kirk's death scene.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Probably the biggest giveaway was the first actor they tried to hire. No wanted to believe it.

4. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To me, Benedict Cumberbatch resemble Phillip Pine, the person that play Colonel Green, then he does Ricardo Montalban.

5. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
  6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I have to say that the 'magic blood' combined with the uber-star destroyer Vengeance has me a bit concerned. But like anything else it'll all be in the execution.

7. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

At this point, all the squabbling about magic blood, coffins, Khan supermen and Section 31 uber-sized starships is fanboi nonsense.

What I am really looking forward to is...
    Kirk's death. The story is what Kirk would do for those he cares about deeply - his crew. I want to go on this journey. I want to see how the creators turn TWOK on its head by making Kirk the sacrifice at the end. I want to see Spock's reaction to Kirk's death. This has great story written all over it.

8. Franklin

I don't know, a ship like the Vengeance makes sense in the post-Vulcan era and after confronting a ship like Nero's (which was only a civilian mining ship). I'm sure Starfleet has its version of Area 51 and is keeping even a few more secrets.

Don't like the name of the ship, though.

To me, the "magic blood" is problematic and one of the lesser things about some of the technology shown in Trek that's ever bothered me.

9. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Magic blood is indeed weird but remember that we all accepted that Spocks dead body was shot in a torpedo tube into the surface of genesis and then regenerated itself into a baby then a child then back to an adult of the exact same age Spock used to be all in the space of a day or two.. Co-incidentally the planet destroyed itself in the exact same time span and co-incidentally the enterprise turned up at just the right time after being on a long journey home for weeks. A few hours later and they would've turned up at a pile of rubble where a planet used to be.. Yet magic blood is somehow a no no. And that's only TSFS. There is 750 episodes and movies of these weird things !

Trek is very strange really...

The issues I have are the switcharoo, what Spock shouts and the fact they are retreading old ground. I have no doubt that I will enjoy this movie when all is said and done. Spoilers laid out on a page can be a bitter pill to swallow when you don't actually see the movie !

I am contradicting myself a lot in this thread when I think about it. Clearly reading the spoilers was a bad idea ! Just show me the movie already.

10. BillJ

I think Kirk's death bothers me too. Not that he dies, but that they bring him back (and Kirk is my favorite character in all of Trek). It seems cheap and that Trek is once again hitting the reset button on a major change.

Once again, it'll all come down to execution.

11. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a minor reset button IMO. How many time travel stories did we see where they use that plot device to solve a problem. A great example is in Star Trek IV .... why didn't they talke the whales back to an earlier point in history - deposit them - so the alien probe would have never showed up and presumably a lot of people wouldn't have died?

12. Franklin

I'll put this in spoilers because it has a reveal some may not want to know, but there's something about one well known part of TWOK that was replicated in STID that amuses me:

In TWOK, Kirk's now famous and almost comic shout, "Khaaaaaaaan!" was insincere. He was selling his plight to Khan. He knew everything was OK because he knew the Enterprise would be back for them, shortly.

However, when Spock yells, "Khaaaaaaaan!" in STID, there's real feeling to it, because it's a crying out over Kirk's death. In a way, it's too bad it will invoke the memories of Kirk's yell in TWOK because Spock's moment will be truly powerful. He's not faking it.

13. BillJ

Star Trek has had a ton of funky plot logic over the decades, I don't think anyone can argue otherwise. But I was hoping with three years to write the movie, that the plot gimmicks wouldn't be quite so transparent.

14. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I thought they could've been mortuary chambers because of the sequencing of the edit. First they showed a Federation flag being folded, and then they showed that. But the room didn't look like a morgue really. Nor did it really look like a ship like the Botany Bay. I'm guessing it's where Khan's followers were being held on earth in some sort of bunker, but I haven't read the full synopsis of the movie. Is it actually known where this room is and who those two people are?

15. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

It doesn't bother me. Neither does...
    How they bring him back to life.

I'm looking forward to both.

But yes, it is about execution. Nemesis was an example of execution done poorly.

16. GMDreia

GMDreia Commander Red Shirt

It's kind of funny that for all the secrecy, so many people here and on Trekmovie.com practically pieced together the plot from the trailers. Then there's the fact that apparently the villain's identity leaked out really early, and Cumberbatch's casting is the only thing that kept it from being suspected in any way - it leant his real identity some plausible deniability.

My disappointment in the spoilers isn't in the plot... it's in the total lack of surprise. For all of Abrams' intent on surprising us, I feel like I already saw the movie several months ago. I was hoping that the spoilers would indicate that all of the pieced together evidence was wrong, but it isn't. Abrams actually laid everything right out on the table early on.

I'm still going to see it though, probably several times in the theaters, and in all likelihood, I'm going to love it. I think I already do - because it's a pretty novel approach and I love seeing a different approach. IMO, this *is* how the same character would be written in this time and it fits Greg Cox's "Bond villain" approach to the character. The nature of warfare has changed.

Why did he specifically have to be Khan, though? Would the film have really been missing anything if he wasn't?

How do you all feel about the different personality and characterization portrayed by Cumberbatch, vs Montalban? That he seems like a different person?

It doesn't matter in the end, to me, I'm probably going to see the film five plus times in the theaters while it's out. :)

17. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

You know? I have to agree. And it's made even more brutally opportunistic by the fact that they didn't kill Cumberbatch's Khan. Wonder what K&O are planning for the next one.

Listen, I want to see this movie badly. And I'm sure I'll enjoy it. More than that, I want my dad (who's all of 86 and a Trek fan for a long time and with whom I have the deepest Trekkie connection in my life) to enjoy it like he enjoyed ST09. If that happens, I'm okay.

But for the next movie, I want K&O ko-d. I want other writers.

18. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nemesis was more than simple poor execution - it was bad everything. Poor writing, bad plot - which was filled with holes - and even medicore acting from everyone including IMO Stewart which is unusual for him.

It is the only Trek film I've ever sat through in the theatre where I was hoping it would end soon.

19. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Kirk's death and Khan's little smug message to Spock video makes me wonder if Spock going to beat the shit out of Khan especial since the Spock yelling clip in the video makes it look like he is beyond pissed off

20. GMDreia

GMDreia Commander Red Shirt

Is anyone else feeling this is more an homage to Greg Cox's Khan than the TOS/WOK Khan?

How do you feel about this guy having such a different personality and characterization from the other guy?