STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

BTW, the poster over at IMDB who posted the extensive spoilers has this to say about Khan's appearance:

2. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

OK, for those who saw the movie:

1. Is Kirk brought back to life at the end of the film, with gold shirt and all?

2. Is Enterprise back and repaired?

Mind you, I'm still going to see it, multiple times. This won't ruin anything for me.

3. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

We don't actually have a disagreement. There are a bunch of purists who want Trek to be a NonProfit and that's not how it's done. Hell, TWOK itself was done as a moneymaker and it actually turned a decent money for the Summer, 1982, season.

I understand the fanboi complaint about the writing and the holes and the Magic blood. However, the movie will succeed despite all that. And as Legion points out, ALL the boycotters will line up for tickets, coke and popcorn.

I'm actually one who thinks that the only problem with Cumberbatch as Khan is that he dominates the film so overwhelmingly that it becomes his showpiece, and not Pine's.

4. TommyW

TommyW Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

It's clearly not that different though eh! It has exact duplicates of scenarios from the previous timeline - only flipped around a bit!

5. section9

Well, if the "Magic Blood" plot device rumor is true, then I have some cause to be a bit set aside, but other than that, I'm going. That sounds like something Damon Lindelof would do.

There's this entire community of fanbois over at AICN who despise Abrams because of the plot holes in the 2009 film and can't abide what they are hearing about it now. They also remember what Lindelof did with Prometheus, so they are quick to jump on him. The Magic Blood thing is a bit off putting, imho.

But again, a lot of this is third hand fanboi posting from people who haven't seen the movie (like me) going off the rails.

6. section9

Clearly they made the decision after seeing how great an actor Cumberbatch was to bring him back.

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Have you ever tried reducing ST III to a list of spoilers?

* McCoy has voices in his head and goes to the "Star Wars" Bar.

* A Klingon's girlfriend with huge breasts gets obliterated for reading his emails.

* Saavik now has permed hair, Vulcan eyebrows and differently coloured eyes.

* Spock is magically reborn - as a baby.

* Uhura locks a young man in a closet at phaser point.

* Scotty takes a few parts out of a starship and it goes putt, putt, putt, and stops dead in space.

* Young Spock ages in bursts, just like the planet - and will stop aging if only they can get him off the planet before it explodes.

* The scientist son Kirk only just met gets stabbed to death trying to save Saavik.

* The Enterprise explodes and streaks through the sky.

* Kirk changes his voice to get back aboard the Klingon vessel.

* Spock is magically returned to the same age he was when he died.

Not that I recall.

Not in the version I saw.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Here's what leaked out about ST II (other than Spock's death), swear to gods:

Khan steals a weather-making machine and traps the Enterprise in a cloud.

BTW, "There's this entire community of fanbois over at AICN who despise." is actually a complete sentence.

9. Therin of Andor

Yep, that was a quote in "Starlog". It was also reported as "The Uncharted Continent", someone's misremembering of seeing a script subtitled "The Undiscovered Country".

Mind you, the weather machine was in a proposal. Khan was in another. A male Dr "Savik" was in another. And Janet Wallace and son David in yet another. Meyer combined them all.

10. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Isn't trapped in a cloud TMP? Rip-off.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Strictly speaking, the Genesis device is among other things a weather-making machine...and a nebula is a cloud.

12. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

In fact, some of the worst writing in the history of TV drama can easily be found in TNG. And in Voyager. And in ENT. Heck, even in DS9.

There's atrocious crap all over the franchise, but the gospel according to Roddenberry SHALL NOT BE QUESTIONED! :klingon::klingon:

:rolleyes:

Even my late great grandmother could have written her way out of anything, blindfolded and on drugs, using Lindelof's way of doing things.

Strictly speaking, this thread is now about Spider-man!

[​IMG]

13. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Meh. No different than Spock being reborn on the Genesis planet; or an entire Genesis device creating life out of nothing; or the spores in "This Side of Paradise" providing perfect health; or Nomad bringing Scotty back to life; or the Ba'ku's planet's ability to stop aging.

And of course, there's the amazing red matter.

Genetically enhanced blood having restorative properties is actually a little bit more believable and truer to real science fiction than the stuff mentioned above. Also, and I'll put this part in spoilers just in case,
    it's some of Khan's blood that restores the dying child's health early in the movie. So the signal is given in the first few minutes that Khan's genetically enhanced blood is special. What it can do just doesn't come out of left field as a cheesey plot device at the end of the movie.

Edited to add:
    If people want to continue comparisons with TWOK, bringing Kirk back to life with Khan's blood at the end of the movie is the "Genesis device going off" moment. Makes one wonder if Kirk will feel any deleterious effects from the blood in the next movie.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Yeah, this is carefully set up rather than being a deus ex machina.

Hey, guys - remember the first shot of the cryogenic chambers that came out months ago through official channels? The ones with the frost on their little windows? What did people think they were other than cryogenic chambers?

15. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

To add to the list:

* Protomatter
    * Borg Nantites
    * Transporter
    * Gene/viral resquencing in a can...uh hypospray.
    * Two words: Spock's Brain

Trek and plausible medical tech =/= Trek and science. Medicine is "speed of plot" like the science is.

16. Therin of Andor

People said they were coffins.

Others argued that Starfleet coffins don't have windows. Then I reminded them of "The Schizoid Man" episode of TNG, in which Ira Graves is buried in space in a coffin with a little window in it.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Coffins with frost on the windows.

That dog never did hunt. Khansicles, people. Khansicles. The game was up right there. :lol:

18. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He'll have the uncontrollable urge to wear fine Corinthian leather and open a secluded island resort.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
  19. Therin of Andor

[​IMG]
    Schizoid Man by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

Frost, reflections, lens flares...

20. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

And recruited Section 31 Agents shall also only be British. ;)