The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^
    I know, was simply pointing out that depending on one's expectations the mood is either "it's going to be shit, the studio knows it" or "we know the reviews will be good, what's the hold up."

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

At least we know who the villain is, and are excited because of it. Take that, Abrams!

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Reviews of The Dark Knight Rises are under embargo until July 19.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm assuming this is Warner Bros way of containing possible spoilers that could leak out due to reviews. You don't really want more potential David Letterman situation's happening. JacksonArcher I believe posted some early reaction in the movie review and discussion thread he started. Apparently those who have seen it already, say it's mind blowing. I think I read somewhere one audience theater gave it a standing ovation.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

The huge bulk of them, yeah. But you still usually see a handful of reviews a week or so beforehand.

I wonder if it might have something to do with the controversial political themes in the movie we've heard about. The studio might now want a bunch of bloggers and news commentators making a big fuss and getting morally outraged over it right before the movie comes out...

6. JarodRussell

Embargo?

Oh God why.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

That is very common with huge films like this. For a number of reasons. Too prevent spoilers from getting out before release or bad buzz to be created.

Sometimes reviews are early released anyways though. It may affect their future access for early screenings for the studios films.

8. JarodRussell

Then they should do better films. A review embargo... preventing you from voicing your opinion about something... where are we? Nazi-Germany?

9. Dick Whitman

Like I said nothing is forcing anyone to actually comply with this arrangement! I am sure some type of review will surface before that.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I would intentionally NOT read one just on the chance of someone not being carefully enough to spoiler code the right material.

Glad I didn't see the Letterman clip.
    I stopped following this film closely weeks ago on purpose and I'm far from "the most excited person" waiting for this film.

I don't think TDK is the manna from heaven film it's so lauded as, good yes, and I have reservations about this one. I'll be seeing it Thursday at about 2:30pm though.

11. Dick Whitman

I have similar feelings. I did enjoy TDK but it's not something I rewatch much. I definitely want to see the new one. I also respect that now that he has told the stories he wants Nolan is ready to pass Batman to someone else. For their own unique vision.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The studio could have a huge embargo/gag order on the reviews. Anyone who saw the previews likely signed paperwork to the effect and if they break the embargo they forfeit their first born child to the Firegods of Warner, or they'll be sued into oblivion.

Either way breaking the embargo/gag order wouldn't be a smart move for a professional journalist or publication (even the net-based ones.) Studios generally take this kind of shit very, very seriously.

13. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, maybe the movie is just crap and they don't want the reviewers saying so yet. :p:p

14. Trekker4747

Usually in such circumstances where the studio isn't confident in positive reviews they don't screen the movie for critics.

15. Dick Whitman

Alan Scott/Green Lantern being gay in the comics way just a diversion for the big revelation about Bruce in the movie!

16. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is that why Alfred is still with him after all these years? :eek:

17. Trekker4747

[​IMG]

18. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

It's actually very common - from movies to computer hardware the makers allow the reviews to be written but not published (an converserly the reviewrs are under preasure to make sure it's also set to go when the embargo lifts).

It's not about freedom of speech - it's a commerical arrangement if and the conditions that are placed. If a reviewwe doesn't like the embargo he's free to bitch and moan - just just won't be reviewing the movie.

19. JarodRussell

Just because it's common doesn't mean it's alright.

20. Trekker4747

A company making you sign a contract to keep your trap about their intellectual property shut =/= a government forcing you to keep your trap shut through fear and intimidation.