*Spock/Zachary Quinto Appreciation Zone*

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Cassy4, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Tribbles

Tribbles Commander Red Shirt

^ I recognized it right away, Wynter, and that's just because I'm amazingly astute and have a photographic memory and NOT AT ALL due to the fact that I've watched every scene that includes Spock at least fifty times. Yeah, it's definitely because of that first thing I said.

*watches gif again* Wait... what were we talking about? :drool:

2. Wynterhawk

Wynterhawk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You're too much! I'd better step up my Spock viewing on the double! :p

3. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

Zachary is so good in Star Trek wonder how he will develop in the sequel

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Between Vulcan and Uhura, he'll face more emotional angst and struggle in that regard than Spock Prime ever did. I'm looking forward to the next time ole Spocko runs across a Rommie (poor Rommies of his time had no idea they did anything "wrong.")

5. Tribbles

:D Indeed! For the purpose of self-edification, of course. No other reason. :shifty:

Regarding Spock's role in the sequel, the fangirl part of me (which comprises, like, 87% of my being) wants some hawt pon farr hijinks. But that 13% of me that contemplates these matters with some objectivity doesn't want the Spock/Uhura relationship to undergo that kind of stress. Not only because I like the couple, but because I don't want their story to become too prominent; again, the fangirl says "heck yes, gimme some hot hybrid lovin' onscreen nao plz", but I think I liked the romance because it was tender and understated rather than shoved in my face as epic and more important than anything else in the film.

I hope it remains something sweet and constant in the background. I rarely like romance in films (seriously, I kind of cheered when Rachel Dawes was killed in The Dark Knight because, omg, Batman doesn't give up the cowl for ANYONE, WTF), but Spock and Uhura stole my heart right away.

6. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

*gasp* I cried my eyes out over Rachel! agree that Spock/Uhura should remain tender sweet and a little mysterious - let Capn' sweetpants have the hijinks!

oh - and constant - definitely a must!

7. TheJosmo

TheJosmo Lieutenant Red Shirt

Spock/Uhura was my pet peeve when the new Trek first came out. I'm something of a Sulu/Uhura shipper myself. But now I just have to clutch my chest like an old lady at a wedding and go "Awwww" whenever I see 'em. That being said, I still wish it were nurse Chapel, so Uhura could stick with Sulu.

8. Wynterhawk

Yes! Yes of course, of course. That's why ;) I'm doing it now :)

Can I ask why you ship Uhura/Sulu? This is totally a genuine question and no harm is meant! I like hearing what people see in different pairings and why they dig them. It's cool. :)

9. TheJosmo

No prob. It's not the most common pairing anyway. When Sulu and Uhura interact, I see some chemistry, even if it isn't the blatant flirting that Uhura does with Spock.

In The Tholian Web, Sulu grabs Uhura's arm at one point and it's cute the way he does that. And the "Naked Time" where he's running around shirtless with his fencing sword, grabs Uhura around the waist and screams, "I'll protect you, fair maiden!":guffaw: Then there's "Mirror, Mirror," where evil! Sulu is hitting on Uhura and she messes with him for a few minutes. I don't know if Uhura has any interest in Sulu (probably not), but Sulu definitely has a crush on her.

10. Tribbles

Sorry if I sounded totally cruel, oldstredshrtevr! Batman is my original fandom though (I watched BTAS religiously as a little girl, and my mania grew from there), and I kind of become Comic Book Guy whenever I try to discuss him. I'm the worst kind of inflexible nerd when it comes to Batman-- even my husband grows irritated with me about it. :lol:

That said, I love the Nolanverse except for Rachel Dawes. When he offered to give up the cowl for her, I just about flew out of my seat in a fit of nerd rage. :D Oh, well. I just omit it from my personal head canon. Also, I admit that I did like Rachel MUCH more once Maggie took over the role from Katie Holmes.

I'm glad I came to the Star Trek franchise much later in life because I'm more willing to see where new writers will take the characters. I definitely understand fans with years of devotion to the series getting upset over big changes, though. I certainly have no room to tease them for it!

11. KimMH

so funny how our experience is switched! I've loved Trek since I was a tween (a long long time ago in a glaxy far far away . . . ), but didn't meet the comic world until I met my hubs and through him X-Men. It sitll irritates him no end I'm mostly Marvel and he's DC and DarkHorse! I've survived all the crossover crap of the 90s and Morrison and Wheedon - SO OVERRATED!!!!

Hubs agrees with you completely about Rachel - he says - Batman is what he IS not what he DOES! I agree with you about the casting - I did like Mags much better than Holmes. She has so much other baggage it's distracting (in the back of my mind I'm thinking - yeah, but she married a wacko) and I just found Gyllenhall so much more grounded seeming.

I've had a harder time accepting all the alternate U's in the Marvelverse than the Trekverse - possibly becsue of the same reason you see the flip side - we came to our respective original "realities" younger and to the later when we were older and more mentally developed - it feels less like your entire childwhood was a lie! :rommie:

12. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

and she replies "Sorry, neither" :guffaw:

One of my favourite Uhura lines ever.

*drags thread back onto topic*

I'm a bit ambivalent about Spock / Uhura in ST11. When I first saw it I was all "Yay!Spock" but in retrospect Spock's social awkwardness and isolation was one of the things I identified with when I first saw TOS reruns as a teenager: I'm not sure the added romance improves him as a character for newcomers, satifying though it was for a long term fan. :vulcan:

13. Merlinmaus

Merlinmaus Ensign Newbie

I don't know how much of you watch the current season of Heroes - it has a lot of Zachary in it - but in the last epsiode "Let it Bleed" his character Sylar showed a lot of skin... :-)
    I started making screenshots (it might take until friday to finish and upload them all) so here are some of my favourite "skin moments" so far :drool:
    Enjoy! If you like them, there will be more ;-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

sexy Zachary is keep the pics coming

15. TheJosmo

*tugs collar* oh my. *Runs off to catch up on episodes*

16. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mine, too! :bolian:

I always had the impression that Sulu had a crush on Uhura, but that it was one-sided.

I always liked the Uhura/Spock dynamic. Of course, I wouldn't have expected it to grow into a romance in TOS, since the writers had an unwritten rule about getting main characters in long-term romantic relationships, and Spock in particular was struggling with his emotional side and wasn't able to be in a relationship, the way he was at that point in his life in that reality. But I would have loved to see more of their friendship/flirting, have an ongoing sexual tension and Uhura's teasing, I think it could have been as fun and interesting as Spock/McCoy and Kirk/Spock joking and taunting each other.

If I was to list most likely romantic interests for Uhura based on TOS, I would rank them in this order 1) Spock, 2) Kirk - you could make a case for Kirk/Uhura since they had an affection and respect for each other, even though it was only platonic in TOS, 3) Sulu, but as I said, it seemed to be a one-sided crush on his side. But, it still would have made more sense than Scotty/Uhura. :shifty:

17. Wynterhawk

Aww, I liked that scene as well. It really made me giggle. Yes, I can totally see that he could have a crush on her. Who didn't have a crush on her :D

18. KimMH

I never really imagined Uhura and Sulu an item - may have to rethink this a little!

Does anyone have any nuSpock/Quinto photos to post to help me uh - concentrate?

19. TheJosmo

Gosh, we have been getting off topic. (probably my fault.) More pics!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (btw, M'Sharak, SpocktheSithSlayer is my username on photobucket, and I don't know how to change it. Do I need to get a new account or something?)

20. KimMH

oh thank you thank you thank you!