The X-Files - First Time Watching

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tomalak301, Dec 14, 2013.

1. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

After reading this thread I wondered if the series was released on blu ray. Since I sold my X-Files videos years ago, it could be a good opportunity to buy it in a high definition. Apparently Fox has made plans:

Our sources say Fox has likely decided to “rebuild” the seasons in high-definition, in much the same way that CBS has done with Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek: The Next Generation. Provided all the original camera negative has been properly stored and archived, it’ll presumably be an easier task as the show featured fewer and less elaborate visual effects.
    Link to the full article: http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/the-rumor-mill/is-fox-bringing-x-files-to-blu-in-2013

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can see an X-Files remastered, and it shouldn't be too hard. I watched the episode about the space program the other day and I was just wondering if that episode would have been more well received with better effects. I watched it plugging in my computer to the HD TV and the picture was rather blurry, like they ran out of money. After reading some reviews and noticing that it wasn't well liked, I still found it enjoyable, but not as much as Fallen Angel (Which had decent effects) or Eve.

3. tomalak301

Fire

This episode was kind of lame. There were a lot of just corny scenes, and that ending was weird. So he just burned himself, for what reason? Also, the reuniting of Mulder and his old Flame seemed to be in response to Scully trying to have a life despite working the X-Files cases in a previous episode. I did like Mulder's fear of Fire though, and Anderson does seem to be getting better as an actress. Despite that though, this one was kind of a just ok but not great episode.

4. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Gillian is a brilliant actress, because she manages to convince us that she's an intelligent and serious scientist in the series, whereas in real life she's a total dip. :)

5. tomalak301

I've never heard an interview either with Gillian or David. I know David is a little out there in real life, but I wonder what Gillian is doing these days. She's kind of faded more than David has, but then David was in Californication for a good number of years.

6. Forbin

I'm currently watching Gillian's British TV series "The Fall" on DVD. She plays a British cop chasing a serial killer in Belfast. She's very stoic and laid back in this, so far. Not much in the way of strenuous acting. It's weird hearing her using an English accent.

As for her interviews, at least the ones I've seen, she comes across as a bit ditzy and giggly.

7. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Gillian has a recurring role on NBC's Hannibal (very good show IMO).

8. selina

She has done some movies, too. "Playing by heart" I always liked, though it's from 1998. "The Mighty" and "The Last King of Scotland" are good movies also.

You can read about her filmography here:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000096/?ref_=nv_sr_1

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Weird as it is, the English accent is her real one.

10. tomalak301

Beyond the Sea

Brad Dourif plays creepy serial killer really really well. I've seen him in Babylon 5 and in Voyager as Suder, but watching The X-Files and seeing him here for the first time was really something to behold. The way he shifts characters in the scenes he was in was eerie in a really fantastic way.

It's also amazing how much can change in 13 episodes. Just a few episodes back I was complaining that Anderson didn't start out as a good actress in this show and we even got that awful beehive hairstyle. Now we're getting Scully probably at her best, a woman who we see at her weakest point but still so strong. Anderson was fantastic here, and the scene where she lost it saying she would flip the switch on Boggs herself was well done.

We're only in the first season, but the more I watch this show, the more I'm starting to see how great this show was. It took shows like Star Trek, Babylon 5, and Farscape a season to get good, yet The X-Files at episode 13 is amazing and we have 8.5 more seasons left. I'm starting to see why this show was such a hit.

11. selina

Beyond the Sea is a great episode. Actually, it's one of my favourite ones (along with the episodes that I posted before. Ah, well, it's so hard to choose favourite X-Files episodes.) It was really interesting to see how Mulder and Scully swaped positions, with Mulder eing the sceptical one here.

12. Forbin

I was wondering; I know she was born in England, but even in interviews I don't recall her using it.

13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It's probably "real" in the sense that she used to really have it but then lost it.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Possibly, but she got it back. I'm pretty sure she's been living in the UK for a while now.

15. tomalak301

Gender Bender

This episode was strange. At first I thought it was one of those outer-body experience type episodes, then I thought it was a commentary on Cults (Which I remember was quite prevalent in the news back in the 90s) and then that ended left me kind of wishing the episode was a two parter. There is a lot of exposition here that was left unexplored, like what exactly the Kindrid are, anything else with the scene were Mulder was inside the shed watching the group put that goo on that guy, and basically I was coming to the end of the episode with a feeling like this story could have used another hour.

I really did love the atmosphere of the show though. That ended scene with the crop circle was eerie, and the music, once again, was great, this time reminding me of the Exorcist theme.

16. tomalak301

Lazurus

Much better episode. It was tense from the original bank robbery up until the very end. Not really X-file-y, but we got some more backstory on Scully, she's still a skeptic, even though that final scene with the watch might be a character defining moment. Also liked seeing the rest of the FBI actually helping Mulder instead of mocking him. Of course we got some of that in the middle, but I have to remind myself that we are only in season 1.

The guy who played Jack Willis reminded me of Jim Harbaugh. It actually was a little distracting. :lol:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  17. Forbin

Out OF body experiences.

18. tomalak301

Whatever. ;)

19. Forbin

For the record, I watched the interviews on the DVDs of The Fall, and Gillian does NOT have a British accent (like her character) when being interviewed. Though you can hear her American accent being affected very slightly by being in England for a long time.

Oh, and she agreed with me - she admitted that she's nothing like these clever investigators she portrays. "In real life, I'm a ditz," she said. :adore:

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Weird. I saw her in an interview maybe two years ago, and she definitely DID have a British accent. Damn girl can't make up her mind!