Sleepy Hollow (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Christopher, Sep 17, 2013.

1. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

LOL... Klingon fanboys of yore!

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

3. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

I'm surprised no one is talking about how easily Crane's alibi as a visiting professor from England was confirmed by stereotypical suspicious ex-boyfriend cop. What's up with that? I'm pretty intrigued.

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Supernatural does have the best recaps.

5. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suspect the university said they never had such a professor, and the boyfriend is saving the info for just the right moment.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^No, we heard the voice on the other end of Morales's phone, and they confirmed that Crane was indeed an Oxford professor. So we know that Crane does have a cover story in place. We just don't know yet who arranged it for him.

7. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed.

Crane himself wouldn't be thinking about these issues. My vote goes to Capt. Irving, who is being more and more supportive as things go on, he recognizes Morales' (ex-boyfriend) propensity for sticking his nose in Abby's business, and he has some authority to request co-operation from the university.

8. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I noticed that immediately at the time, but didn't bring it up here.

I like the story of the week and the mythology, so far.

9. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

So! The "Templar Knights" are coming up soon, and the shot of a Masonic square & compasses. Figured it was only a matter of time, considering the prolific nature of Masonry amongst the Founding Fathers and the fraternity's ties to Templary. I'm hoping this won't be another Hollywood hatchet job, though. A Dan Brown-style treatment would be preferable. We shall see...

10. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Ichabod and Abby return tonight on a new episode. Good to see Walter too! :lol:

I liked Ichabod and Katrina's history - how they first met. He was an ambitious duty-bound British officer, a good man whose conscience prevailed and who did the right thing when Katrina told him he had a gift, the power to bear witness and see demons and their true forms. "Evil grows when good men do nothing. "

All this time Crane felt responsible for Cicero's death, and thus he needed to be sanctified. The revolutionary's death meant Ichabod's salvation, though he perceived it as his sin.

This show just gets better every episode.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The baseball was really good.

Everything else was paint by numbers terrible.

I think Hank McCoy asked Bruce Banner that the other day in a comic... "I have always wondered why you just don't kill yourself?"

12. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm. My only gripe was when Abby said, "Blah blah blah ... or I'm calling the Calvary. "

It's "cavalry," sweet cakes.

13. 137th Gebirg

^^^ That's starting to become a more common mispronunciation I've noticed, lately, particularly in the American South.

Much like "periphreal vision" and...heh..."mispronounciation".

Nice to see a story line that depicts Masonry in a semi-favorable light for a change. Although I don't think I've ever seen any "hexes" or pickled chicken's feet when in Lodge. :lol:

And, for the record, suicide - even when supposedly "necessary" or "noble" - is viewed as strictly taboo. If a member does this, he is expelled posthumously, with no chance for Masonic burial services - name stricken from the roster. Granted, this was a fictional "extreme" case, but still - not gonna happen under any real-world circumstances.

And we generally don't meet in a cave off ancient sewer tunnels, either, but still a very moody and cool atmosphere. :lol:

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm not sure Beharie said "Calvary." It sounded like "Calvalry" to me -- like she almost stumbled over the word but fixed it just in time.

But "Calvary" has always been a common mispronunciation in my experience.

Anyway, a pretty impressive episode. They're managing to get some good drama out of their unapologetically ridiculous premise. Although I found it contrived that Crane had only one sin he needed to purge in order to break the connection, and that it wasn't even a real sin.

15. 137th Gebirg

I got the impression that it was his sin in his own mind, which made it his, regardless if it was or not. Perception is a powerful thing, and if he perceived that the other guy's death was his fault, it would haunt him as such until he allowed himself to be freed from it. It was that internal weakness that the Horseman had latched itself onto.

At least, that's what I gathered from what was said.

16. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Maybe it was because that particular sin was linked to the headless horseman. I'm sure he has other sins hidden away there somewhere.

Great to see Walter again!

The show is certainly one of those that's better than it has any right to be. I'd say this was the best episode so far in terms of production values, tight direction, balanced storytelling, and hot female leads... :p

17. 137th Gebirg

Agreed, on all fronts. I have been very impressed with it since the beginning. Worlds superior to that insipid new Dracula show, IMO. I couldn't bring myself to watch beyond the pilot and even that was a stretch for me towards the end of the episode. Maybe I'm just burned-out on the whole Vampire/Werewolf/Zombie sub-genres lately, they've been played out to death in the past 10-20 years now. Sleepy Hollow, on the other hand, positively rocks!

I wonder if the real Sleepy Hollow, NY has enjoyed an up-tick in tourism, even though the show wasn't filmed there (North Carolina).

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Apparently it has! According to an article I read last week, the real town has seen a boost in tourism since the show debuted.

No surprise there. The previously obscure town of Forks, WA has become a tourist spot since Stephanie Meyer set the TWILIGHT books there, even though the movies were filmed elsewhere.

And last time I visited Snoqualmie,they were still milking the fact that TWIN PEAKS had been filmed there. You could buy maps to key locations and murder sites . . . . :)

19. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

If you never been, Sleepy Hallow NY is an awesome place to visit.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And you're interested, the mansion where they filmed the first two Dark Shadows movies is also in the vicinity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyndhurst_(mansion)

I wonder if it will turn up in SH at some point?