What would you have liked to have seen during the Dominion war?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by mupps, Oct 7, 2012.

1. mupps

mupps Lieutenant Red Shirt

I personally think I would have liked to have seen a Sovereign class (maybe an up gunned one) tearing it up during a battle.:cool:

Anything else you would have liked to have seen. Maybe if there was unlimited budget etc to do it?

2. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

A major battle that Starfleet actually won on their own without another power or god like super aliens coming to their assistance.

And yeah, a Sovereign class ship in battle.

But perhaps most of all, a major battle where Starfleet was using actual somewhat realistic tactics and strategies instead of endless space dogfighting and "swoop & shoot"

3. mupps

mupps Lieutenant Red Shirt

That would have been nice.....:)

4. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like most fanboys, I'd have loved to see the Enterprise involved in a serious way on screen.

5. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'll second the request for the Enterprise-E. Given that Worf had no trouble showing up for the TNG movies, it would have been nice to see the Enterprise-E make a visit to DS9. Particularly after the Enterprise-D had been there twice.

Many forget that the TNG Episode Birthright is a crossover, with the Enterprise-D stopping at DS9 and Bashir hanging out with Data. So it wasn't unprecedented for the Enterprise to crossover. I'm sure Frakes and a couple other TNG cast members could have been talked into making a cameo, and with a line of dialog about Picard being on Earth for some meeting, you don't even need Stewart.

It was definitely a missed opportunity, particularly given the other crossovers that have happened throughout Trek.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The reason we never saw a Sovereign class ship in the war was because Paramount wanted the ship to be movie only and refused to let it be used on TV. There was quite the argument when Behr wanted one used in the final battle in WYLB.

7. Jimi_James

Well, as long as they had a good reason.

8. The Wormhole

The alleged reason was if the ship was seen on TV then no one would bother to see the movies in theatres. Of course, no one bothered to see the TNG movies in theatres anyway...

9. Jimi_James

That's film studio logic for you. I swear, it's like they live in a different reality than the rest of us. To them, up is down, left is right, dogs and cats are living together. It's mass hysteria.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

How about, during "The Seige of AR-588", somebody remembered that phasers have a wide-beam setting? It may have been unsporting and unstarfleet, but one guy on wide beam setting (as seen in TOS, mentioned in TNG and seen earlier on DS9) could have held that canyon by themself. Remember Ronald Tracy killing thousands of Yangs before his phaser ran low in "The Omega Glory"? It might have been interesting, the psychological ramifications for the guy holding the phaser.

I've also wanted to see a ship bombarding a planet from orbit, ever since the Enterprise had to eradicate dangerous spores from a planet in an old Gold Key comic book.

11. Deimos Anomaly

Deimos Anomaly Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Proper soldiers / ground forces. Like MACOs or something similar.

Also: any time that combat is imminent, several of said troopers should be visible stationed in the bridge and other critical areas of starships (and ops on DS9), armed and ready to defend against boarding actions.

12. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Spock and Odo interacting on DS 9.

13. Jimi_James

I agree, though I would extend this to include general security personnel that actually wear some sort of uniform and gear beyond the mere Starfleet uniform. Something that offers some level of protection above simple fabric, and carries gear one might need to actually deal with a security threat.

How many times did we see Worf and his security teams get theirs but handed to them, while showing up to deal with a security threat with little more than a phaser and a tricorder. I mean come on. You don't send cops into a bank to deal with a robber, armed with just their standard uniform, their side arm, and a flashlight. You send a SWAT team.

Ships security shouldn't be handled by regular Starfleet personnel and shouldn't be a secondary duty of the Tactical officer. Both are critical positions and should be independent departments aboard almost every ship.
    If they're going to pull ideas and traditions from the navy, than create a separate depart of security forces, like the MACO's or a group of Marines that have no other job than to defend the ship and ensure the safety of those aboard it...meaning they go on away missions as well.

14. The Wormhole

Of course, budget is also an issue. Why spend money on special uniforms and armour when a guy armed with a phaser rifle conveys the message to the audience at a fraction of the cost? The fact that someone was willing to spill some money to make those outfits for the guys in Nor the Battle to the Strong was surprising. Less so with the MACOs, since they were covered in the new season's budget.

Security officers in the TOS movies did wear armour, but only when they were on shipboard duty. No one that took part in the assault on Nimbus III in Trek V was wearing the armour. In fact, in Flashback when Sulu calls security to the bridge, those guards are only wearing the enlisted uniform.

15. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Some sort of self-determination negotiated for the Jem Hadar. The Vortas not so much since they were not physically dependent on the Dominion.

16. pimp

pimp Commander Red Shirt

I would love to have seen the feds get destroyed lol :p. Because I always loved the domies and lets face it the feds really had no chance, only because of the writers they won :).

17. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd love to have seen a Sovereign-Class ship being destroyed on the frontlines, or at least someone mentioning that, "the Sovereign had been lost in an ambush".

Better tactics and use of fighters would have been nice, seeing a wing of Akira's opening their forward hanger doors and dozens of starfighters joining the fight.

Would also liked to have seen Starfleet more on its own, without Klingon and Romulan support.

More Romulan classes of ships, rather than just the D'deridex.

Commander T'Rul returning to DS9 to act as liaison (the Romulan equivilant to Martok).

Dealing with civilians/refugees from the fighting, the suffering and loss war brings to people on a far more personal level.

Maybe the return of Natima Lang, in exile on DS9 after being hunted down by the Dominion.

18. Admiral_Sisko

Admiral_Sisko Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wouldn't that violate the Prime Directive? As the Dominion is a foreign power, the Federation does not have the authority to enact political reform within their government. An armistice was signed at the war's conclusion, and the Dominion agreed to return to the Gamma Quadrant, but that's probably all that the Federation was able to arrange.

I agree that the Jem'Hadar deserved to be treated as sentient beings as opposed to slaves, but that decision rested with the Founders and the Vorta, not the Federation Council.

After all, if the Federation were able to convince the Founders to stop treating the Jem'Hadar like cannon fodder, wouldn't it make sense that they would do the same for the Remans?

19. Admiral_Sisko

Admiral_Sisko Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I completely agree with this, and it's something that I've always wondered about. The Romulans were part of the alliance with the Federation and the Klingons, but the writers didn't treat them with the same level of respect. Granted, the Romulans didn't have the same relationship with the Federation that the Klingons had, but it would have been nice to see shots of Romulan ships orbiting Deep Space 9, instead of the stock footage showing only Federation and Klingon vessels.

It would also have been nice to see more of their troops wandering the Promenade or eating in Quark's. The only time Romulans were shown on the station was during the scenes involving war planning and strategy, or those few scenes with Kira and Cretak chatting on the Promenade.

20. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A Galaxy class or two without the saucer section, with the implication that they were being used as battle ships.