Indiana Jones: The Quest for Death...aka Harrison says kill Indy!!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Lucas considers those wraparounds apocryphal, and has since the VHS releases of the late-90s which excised them. They aren't even on the DVD box sets.

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Spoiler alert, Mr. Ford.

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

My thoughts entirely (including Mutt being a lame nickname), although I think I enjoyed The Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls more than most.

Really? Why does Lucas not like them? I've never watched the show (except a YouTube clip of Ford's appearance).

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, I hadn't seen the 4th again until they aired it on cable a couple weeks ago, and I have to begrudgingly admit that the first half of the film works a lot better than I remembered, and actually serves as a pretty cool reintroduction to the character.

Unfortunately the second half (when the actual Skull plot kicks in) is still a complete fucking disaster.

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, if Lucas has decanonized Old Indy-- which is a shame-- there's nothing preventing them from killing him off. As long as he dies a grand hero's death, I would be okay with it. It's not like there will be any more movies.

6. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, that's not really his name. He grew up thinking his dad was an Englishman, so he wouldn't have been given the Jones surname.

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait. Are you telling me that Wiki is wrong?!! The horror, how could this happen. ;)

I get what you mean in context. Nothing stopping him from changing his name now that he knows so that for INDY 5 it is HJIII. :p

I also really like INDY 4 and while I can admit to some fault with it I think its overblown. Much like the overblown hate for Terminator 4. Flaws, sure some but you'd think the art of cinema had been nuked the way some people pour outrage into their blown out of proportion 'points'.

8. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Anyone interested in KotCS should have a look at the "Indiana Jones IV plot holes" thread I've started. It does a really good job of showing why the film ought to be decanonised.

9. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fortunately, the art of cinema was hiding in a fridge at the time.

10. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Fail. :p

11. BDJ

BDJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Lucas and Speilberg NUKED THE FRIDGE with Indy. Lucas has proven after the Star Wars Prequels and with Kingdom of the Crystal Skull that he has absolutley lost all of his ability in writing and directing. George go home! Leave Indy alone. I don't want you anymore!

12. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Spielberg directed the thing...he's just as much, if not more responsible, than Lucas.

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Uhhh...that would only be a fail if Reverend had started that thread.

14. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Ford wants to kill off Indy on the screen I'm not sure what the problem is. Fans act like they should have more say on what happens with the character than him... Well I'm pretty sure Ford spent more of his life working on Indiana Jones movies than any fan spent watching Indiana Jones movies.

After the mess that was Indy 4 I don't really care what happens with the franchise to be honest.

15. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The problem with killing Indy is that we'd likely have a 20 minute scene made up entirely of CGI and set in the after-life.

16. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Everything up until after the bomb goes off is pretty excellent in had they written some rad Indy adventure leading up that point it would have been a brilliant ending. Even the fridge would have worked in crazy third act action scene context.

The film would have then ended with the 'Top Men' saying that they're keeping an eye on Indy, possibly setting up a sequel.

17. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, what's going on there?

18. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

For the love of god, please, no more Indy movies. Stop. Just Stop.

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Would they really be expecting me to pay for and watch an Indiana Jones movie where Indiana Jones fucking dies? No chance in hell.

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I'd dispute that a poll with 32 participants is a reliable measure of opinion. ;)

If I fail at anything it's typing a coherent sentence and proof reading my posts...In my defence it's bloody cold here and I get punchy when I loose feeling in my fingertips.

That too.

There might be something too that. In the previous movies (and in the Bond films for that matter) the prologue sequence is quick, punchy and action packed. This one takes up a good quarter of the film, goes a bit over the top and so blows the proverbial wad before the actual plot kicks in.

I still maintain however that the root of the problem is a lack of chemistry between Ford and that jittery bloke who's name I can't spell.