DC Announces Batman Earth One and Superman Earth One!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well Geoff Johns's next project was announced this morning and boy it's a doozy...some people might not be as high on this as I am but I'm already pysched for it. Here's the AICN exclusive on the project:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43302

This seems to be an Ultimate DC project to me..without calling it Ultimates much like All Star was considered to be that. They're both going to be graphic novel formats!

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Lovely.

I'm interested to see what he'll bring to the depiction of the Daily Planet.

3. Admiral_Young

Yeah...Shane Davis is doing the art on Superman Earth One, not really that familiar with him but the Superman sample used looked okay. The Alfred pic is very interesting...it reminds me of the Russian from Ex Machina who helps Mitchell Hundred actually, "Kremlin". I wonder if Geoff's been hanging out with Brian K. Vaghaun lately lol. Both these projects are now high on my interest level, I wonder when they'll be coming out? This is just a guess on my part but I think they could be released after next summer's Superman event. I hope we don't have to wait that long myself.

4. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

"Clark Kent - mild mannered blogger for a great metropolitan media conglomerate..."

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

This seems...odd. Isn't DC producing a Superman origin story right now? And they are going to do it again next year? I realize one will be in continuity and another not, but it doesn't seem like Superman-Earth One is going to be too radically different from the mainstream title. It seems like a strange move, especially since this doesn't seem to be going to series the way the Ultimate titles did.

EDIT: I re-read the article and I saw the note that they are planning to release two graphic novels a year, so it is going to series in a sense. Still, seems odd timing to me somehow. :shrug:

I remember that! I was turning around a corner when I saw him tackle the guy. I had no idea what was going on until a dealer told me later. The dealer said it was JSM and I didn't buy it until I looked in the program book and saw his picture.

I'd say it is more the price. 3 or 4 dollars for a 22-30 page comic is way, way too much.

6. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The link is not working for me currently. Maybe the fans crashed the server. :)

Neat Avatar, Admiral Young! Where's it from?

And Christopher - that story sounds very similar to the Spider-Man story too.

7. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

This actually sounds pretty interesting to me, and I've honestly been a big Superman fan (Batman has always and will likely always be more my speed).

8. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The article at Newsarama said that these would be more "accessible" versions of Batman and Superman. But DC's choice of the pricey graphic novel format might make them less accessible (in another way).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  9. Admiral_Young

My avatar is Gary Frank's art on Batman Earth One. It's in the AICN and Newsarama articles. I thought it was a bit strange regarding the Superman title since Geoff is in the midst of revamping Clark's origin in Superman Secret Origin. Also the Batman design along with Bruce Wayne reminds me of the art from the Wizard Magazine Ultimate DC article which I think was done by Jaxhill Studios (I might have fucked up the name). The notion that these are going to be in graphic novel format has be hooked as I no longer buy single issue comics, can't afford them. I just wait for the trades. I'd love to get secret files and origins for both these books.

10. Christopher

I'm confused by the "Earth One" subtitle. I thought "Earth One" was the term for the main DC Universe as opposed to the various alternates. So why use the title to refer to yet another alternate reality?

11. Admiral_Young

Yeah I don't get the Earth One subtitle...

12. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

That fact that it is trade only has piqued my interest. I'll check it out.

13. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually Infinite Crisis established that the main DC Universe is New Earth, so Earth One is up for grabs.

14. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The current DCU Earth is dubbed "New Earth." It is composed of the original Earths 1,2,4,S, and X and apparently the Milestone Universe has been folded in as well. It was created in it's current state during INFINITE CRISIS.

The multiverse was reborn during 52, but I don't believe we've seen the "New" Earth 1 yet.

15. Christopher

Still, given the long-established history of that designation, it seems odd to repurpose it like that.

16. Kibbin

Kibbin Commodore Commodore

With the link down I was wondering if somebody could tell us what this is all about?
    Is this as somebody said above just Ultimate Superman and Ultimate Batman?

17. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

It does make a lot of sense, to be honest. If this is to be an "Ultimate" take on the DCU, then having it titled "Earth One" suggests to new readers that this is where it begins (Kinda like how the Ultimate titles original name was going to be "Ground Zero"). Also, as others have pointed out, since the mainstream DCU is called "New Earth", using the "Earth One" designation was open and free to use. Besides, since the apparent goal is to bring in new readers, chances are those readers wouldn't be aware of the difference between the "Earths", let alone the whole DC multiverse concept. Those that do know it, would also know how this is different, yet a nod to it.

Basically, yes. However, instead of a monthly issue format, it'll be in a longer, graphic novel format with a goal of releasing ~2 a year.

18. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Editorial had been saying sine 52 that we hadn't seen Earth 1 yet, and people were mistaken in thinking that the main DCU was Earth 1. Apparently this is what they were talking about; and it's the apparent replacement for the All-Star line.

As for my take, I'll read Johns on anything, but I don't look forward to JMS on Superman. JMS is too focused on the "grit" and keeping it "real"; that's the last thing Superman needs in my opinion. Superman should be a story about wonder and optimism; something to aspire to. I don't want to see the big S dragged down to our level.

19. Galactus

Galactus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

+1 Superman has the gold "S" on his cape
    -1 Superman still has the red panties on

-1 Batman is wearing gray

Can only hope it is better than Ultimates

20. Admiral_Young

Johns said when asked if this was like Ultimates or All Star he replied essentially yes. Honestly I'm looking forward to Johns/Frank on Batman than I am JMS/Davis on Superman. I thought the announcement would be that Johns would be taking over from Grant Morrison when his run is done on Batman and Robin but this is just as good. Apparently there are more big announcements coming down the line this week too...the Newsarama article which I didn't link to indicated this was just the start of them.