The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

Re: What I did and didn't like at Star Trek

Oh, I thought that was for grading and nitpicking, not for reviews... Thank you!

2. DiSiLLUSiON

Since it seems we may not make individual review threads, I'll post mine here so my thread may be closed:

Some spoilers ahead.

I'm not a film reviewer. Nor am I the penultimate encyclopedia on anything TOS. I'm just a regular guy, mid twenties, who has watched and loves everything Trek. Having said that, I do have some thoughts:

I've just watched the movie. And, after letting it sink in, all I can say is (to paraphrase McCoy): I like it, it's exciting! :D

And it truly is.

The space battles don't look 'realistic' (in the 'the universe is so large you'd be kilometers away from each other' sense), but they are exciting as hell. It gets the blood pumping and damn, I was literally rocking in my seat.

The emotional scenes do more to give the characters, well, character, then entire seasons have done for the previous series. My girlfriend even let a tear escape when Jim was born. Even my eyes got a little wet (sure was glad for that few seconds black! Gotta wipe my eyes in secret :D).

And the story, well, of course it's rushed in some places; it's a movie, what do you think? But it's not some slice of cheese with more holes then my garden fence like most previous Treks: it's engaging, it's (at times) very logical and it's definitely not too drawn out, it's the right pace at the right times.

Even the re-design of familiar elements have been done superbly. Yes, I don't like engineering much either (still looks too much like a brewery -- where's the warp core?), but what it does look like is real. It's looks absolutely, completely, definitively real. And that rocks. Just like all other elements of production design. It looks cool, it looks real and above all: most of it looks completely and utterly futuristic. This could very well be our future! Our bright, optimistic, wonderful and exciting future!

And to top it all off, they lost the reset button! That's right, no reset. There are now 2 Spocks in existence. Vulcan is no more and the United Federation of Planets and it's heroes would forever be altered. Nothing will be the same again.

The new possible story lines that these events have opened up are fantastic as well; how would you feel if Spock's efforts of unification would come true in this universe when all he had to do was to sacrifice his entire home planet? How will things develop now? All the possibilities are staggering.

And I love it. When the movie was done, I felt like a little boy, seeing my first Star Trek movie on the big screen. You know that scene with the food from 'Ratatouille'? When the guy relives his childhood? That's how I felt. And you?

PS: When is the next movie coming out? Cause I say: BRING IT ON!

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No problem.

It's for grading, nitpicking and reviews :bolian:

4. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

I just took it as a friendly little jab at the Ewoks in SW, and the sidekick in Futureworld. But I wouldn't miss him (it?), either. Unless it's a robot that Scotty built, of course. ;)

--Ted

5. Eddie Roth

Eddie Roth Commodore Commodore

I fully expect to see a novel at some point that deals with exactly that question. But you know, it made sense. Wouldn't it? Wouldn't you seek out the enemy race who just obliterated one of your prized starships to ask them "what the hell, dudes"? ;)

6. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Vulcan bullies. Fantastic.

Scotty's bean eating pet thing - get down! Fantastic

British Red Shirt out to kick some Romulan Arse! Fantastic

Wulcan. Fantastic

Window as view screen. Fantastic, why didn't they think of this before?

Pike in wheelchair! Fantastic, wheres my beepy light though?

Seriously, whats not to like?

Well, I prefer my engineering a with bit more flash and a bit less 20th Century industrial; and Uhura as goddess and not Spock's sloppy seconds. But apart from that, it rocked!

More please.

7. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If anyone with the necessary clearance wants to shift my first post into the thread for nitpicking and reviews, I'll be more than happy. :bolian:

Don't want to be seen to be making a mess, even if this is just about my first ever thread on here in years.

I'm wondering about going for a second viewing, but it's expensive and quite a long journey there and back. Might just wait for the Blu-ray.

8. Blackster

Blackster Ensign Red Shirt

That was absolutely marvellous. Marvellous!

I'm too excited to say anymore, frankly.

9. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Are there toys of it yet?

10. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He'd be suing himself if he did that. ILM did the EFX for this movie.

11. Praetorian

Praetorian Captain Captain

I'm sorry, those things weren't in the movie....Not Canon! =P

12. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True.... but they show what the writers had in mind and therefore are relevant if you seek answers to those questions.

Or at least more relevant than some random fanboy explanation.

13. DiSiLLUSiON

I'm thinking about making this movie as 'The Excuse' to finally buy a blu-ray player. But I read it hasn't been shot in HD. Does anybody know more about this?

Because if the blu-ray version is marginally the same as the dvd version, it's not worth a new player...

14. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

D-Day!, I'm in the theatre now movie is starting in now gotta go will report back

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did little jump at the Cardassian drink being mentioned in the bar scene. It seems unlikely that Cardassia would have been known enough for a drink to make it's name known, or to even use the name "Cardassian" as a drink moniker whether it came from that planet or not.

16. Praetorian

Praetorian Captain Captain

Movies are by definition shot in HD, I believe...

17. sto vo kor

sto vo kor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought that too, but hey I'm a DS9 fan and thought it was great. ;)

18. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Was that really the reference to DS9 they promised, though? Because the Cardassians were originally a TNG race. Granted, DS9 really made them into what most Niners came to love eventually, but referencing them doesn't really scream Deep Space Nine to me.

However, I liked that name drop. :techman:

19. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

1) If memory serves, we don't know when we first encountered Cardassia/interacted with them
    2) Alternate timeline - for all we know Starfleet started on a big 'ally search' following their mysterious attack by a massively superior force. They ran into the Cardassians, and forged a friendship.

20. Llama

Llama Captain Captain

tee hee - I too was at the Melbourne IMAX early. Probably saw each other... Its a small internet/world isn't it :bolian: