Ambassador class

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by kent, Mar 3, 2009.

1. kent

kent Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Does anyone know what the MSD looks like? Or do they have a cutaway? There is so little information about this ship, I want to find out more...

2. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

3. Bill Morris

Bill Morris Commodore Commodore

4. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

5. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Jackill's cutaway can be found here

6. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I kinda dig how Jackill's forward torpedo tube is in the primary hull superstructure and sorta then gels with FJ's TOS weapons placements somewhat.

7. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

Newtype Alpha, try the link again, please; couldn't access it.

8. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

9. JoeRalat

JoeRalat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here is my version
    [​IMG]

10. Praetor

Wow, Joe, that's spiffy. I thought I had seen all of yours now but that's a new one to me.

11. SicOne

24 decks from Joe's MSD seems like too few for a 526m long ship; likewise the 40-odd decks from the Jackill link seems too many. Per Ex Astris Scientia, there are 30-some countable window rows.

12. Praetor

I didn't even blink at Jackill or Joe's deck count but now that you mention it they're both seeming rather odd.

LCARS, the fantail is right for the C, but they modified that fantail and other details for subsequent appearances of the model as other ships. I remember reading comments to indicate that those were refits in the Trekverse and the 'C' represented more or less the original Ambassador design.

13. Bill Morris

Bill Morris Commodore Commodore

You're right, Praetor. Sorry. I did some more research and came back and deleted my post. I knew that a year ago but had forgotten.

And SicOne sold me on the idea of updating the deck count, which I did. And Jackill's version, with more decks than the Galaxy class, was a bit surprising to me the first time I saw it.

For now, I've got it like this, which seems reasonable, although I noticed my saucer rims are slightly off, even though I reversed and pasted the aft one after drawing the forward one (but probably later modified it when trying different ways of showing the Bussard collector while clarifying how the impulse engines fit in there).

[​IMG]

14. JoeRalat

From a design point of view, I would be more then happy to have my msd go against any other MSD. But If I could do it again, with the correct information...I would go 30-31 decks.

15. SicOne

Joe, how would you figure the deck count if you could do the MSD all over again now?

16. kent

kent Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought the deck count of an ambassador class was 36 decks....

17. JoeRalat

Well Rick S. Gave the real length which is 478.55m so I played with the hight and I got 126m Then Rick S gave the hight he use for making the cutaways, which is 13 feet. 126m to feet is 413 feet. I get 31.7 decks. Now you could round down to 31 or even 30 decks.

The deck count could jump up and down depending what the ship needs. Now you can have tanks at the bottom of the ship, that takes up the space of 1 1/2 decks or maybe two decks, which would look like one large deck. Also the jefferies tubes, maybe the ones on the Enterprise-C are larger then the ones on the Enterprise-D or B. That too could give you a low deck count.

I love even numbers, so I would go 30, but I have no problem with 31 or even 32.

18. Praetor

Ah, I'd nearly forgot that little issue over at Drex's blog of the Ambassador's 'real' length a few weeks back.

19. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I'm a little mixed about Jackill's torpedo placement - I always kind of figured it was in the neck. It seems more plausible on FJ's designs because of how the component shapes differ.

20. Praetor

Oh, agreed, I just think it's interesting. IIRC, Sternbach specified them to be on the lower neck, but Greg Jein accidentally left them off the model.