8X01 "Deep Breath" Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Aug 23, 2014.

?

Grade "Deep Breath"

Poll closed Oct 2, 2014.
  1. Scottish!

52 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Good

74 vote(s)
    47.4%
  3. Average

17 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. Bad

8 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. I miss Matt Smith

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

The Doctor knows the headmaster... is it such a stretch to use that to give her an in? ;)

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The headmaster who enrolled Susan in 1963 was eventually working for the Daleks in remembrance of the Daleks a few months later... And stewardship would have changed hands again a couple times in the succeeding 50 years.

The Doctor would have faked her permanent record to reflect her "acquired" computer skills from the great intelligence fiddling with her mind, just like how he got Rory and Amy a house and a modelling contract.

3. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Exactly. It all hinges on her going to uni first, which is possible, so, yes, one could easily do what she did.

4. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Or the school is an academy or free school who can employ who they like with whatever qualifications they like.

It's not M-level - it's a Post-graduate Certificate as the name suggests, off the top of my head it carries about half the credits you need for a Master's.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Sorry, you're right, my error :)

6. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

We really need a whole episode focused on Clara's curriculum.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Doctor couldn't use his transcript from the Academy on Gallifrey to get his teaching position in Season 2's School Reunion since he failed his exams the first time around.

8. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Speaking of Academies...Moffatt won an Emmy last night for writing.

So, there's that.

9. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe the reference was to the fact that Ian is now Headmaster... Apologies if that's not where this was all going.. Only on my first cuppa...

10. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I though he was chair of governors not the headmaster?

11. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I knew someone who was determined to cram a 4-year Bachelor of Education degree into 3 years. I don't know if she managed to do it - 7 courses per semester plus practicum, but she was smart enough to have a good chance of it. And if she were to get a job offer based on her practicum performance, that's one way a person could manage the course and get a job in 3 years.

Ian couldn't be in charge of the school until after 1966(?), since that's the in-universe year when he and Barbara turned up in the Dalek ship when they left the Doctor.

12. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh... Gotcha ... But even so... I'm sure the Doctor and Ian were able to pull a few strings to get Clara a position there. :)

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

And Doctor Who even got a shout out from the announcer as well, which is kind of cool on a broadcast that has the kind of massive audience the Emmy's has.

14. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

The point is that Ian is a bigwig at the school NOW, in the 21st century.

15. Timelord Victorious

This is pretty much what I meant. ;)

16. Stoo

Stoo Commodore Commodore

Wasn't thrilled at first; I guess we expect "doctor acts disoriented and erratic" scenes after a regeneration but it felt like a burden on the plot. Worth it in the end though; Clara had a couple of great scenes standing up to Vastra and Head Robot Guy. I like her a lot more these days. Then there was the doctor talking (maybe!) the Robot Guy into giving up.

And, just to reiterate what others have said, Clara's difficulty with the doctor's new face made plenty of sense to me. Knowing he's had different incarnations in the past is quite different to losing her own version of him.

Interesting that Jenny is still the tea lady behind closed doors.

17. Timelord Victorious

Bin listening to the episodes soundtrack, and, wow, is that dark. Didn't really notice it that much during the episode.

There are some lighter tones but overall pretty moody.

There is an urgent theme near the end which could very well be the new Doctor theme.
    if true it will be less iconic than "I am the Doctor". guess with upcoming episodes we will see if it repeats with different variations.

18. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What a drawn-out mess.

I've tried to watch this episode three times now. Once, in pre-release and twice again this past weekend. It certainly didn't have the story to carry through the extended runtime and Capaldi's performance was an off-putting mix of callous and poorly-timed comedic one-liners. Ecclestone was dismissive and rude but still managed to make us believe that someone would want to follow him, that there was a hidden life behind the manic eyes.

Capaldi just doesn't pull it off. He's rude and boring.

I want it to be better. I want to enjoy this show again for the eighth season. It just isn't there. The Doctor has died and another lesser man has gone swanning off with his name and his memories. Maybe he (or she) will be back again.

But not today.

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree Capaldi came off a little too strange and off-putting at the start, but once we do see him finally settle down in that final scene with the cyborg, and become the much more calm and serious Doctor he will be, I thought he was absolutely fantastic. And riveting as hell to watch.

I'm not even familiar with the actor in anything but the old Pompeii episode, but I immediately recognized why this guy is so admired and respected as an actor. And I'm now looking forward more than ever to what he does in future episodes.

It is a very different style and tone of Doctor than we've seen in a while though, so I can definitely understand why he may not appeal to everyone.

20. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I wasn't entirely happy with the episode but I have to say that Capaldi was fantastic in the "You don't see me" scene.