cool that there are so many TMP threads

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by JT Perfecthair, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Generally when Disney acquires a property, like Pixar or Marvel, it's because it attracts an audience (and money) that their own products don't, so they want it to keep doing exactly what it's already been doing, with the only difference being that the profit goes into Disney's money bin instead of somebody else's. I'm sure they want Star Wars to keep being Star Wars, because that's what creates audience loyalty.

On the other hand, the difference as I understand it is that Pixar and Marvel Studios are independent production companies owned by the Disney corporation, alongside the Walt Disney Studios which are also owned by the Disney corporation. Whereas Lucasfilm has been absorbed within the Walt Disney Studios as a subset of that production company. So it's possible that Lucasfilm won't have quite the same autonomy that Marvel does, say.

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Who said I was talking about your comments specifically? I was referring to a number of different posts in this thread which repeated conventional wisdom which has on numerous occasions been dubunked re the production difficulties of this movie and the DE.

3. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Thanks for mentioning that. Awesome Welles was in South America at the time and when he returned and saw the final cut of "The Magnificient Ambersons" he said that it looked as if "someone went over the film with a lawnmover".

When I saw the television alternate edit of TMP I just couldn't grasp why many good scenes involving characters and not VFX hadn't made it into the theatrical version.

The TMP DC released on DVD is okay, but so is Ridley Scott's DC of "Alien", IMHO. There is still material that should have been included, but maybe Bob Wise was afraid it would make the original theatrical edition of TMP look too "bad". :shrug:

Bob