Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Basically, we need to wait for the official press release at midnight. That will hopefully include details missed by the vanishing newspaper report as to whetehr there might be more, or this is definitely it, and whether anything else from other shows has been found (I'd assume Dad's Army would have been mentioned by now, but Out of the Unknown or similar might not ring any bells for a non fan journalist).

2. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I see what happened now... someone said 9, was overheard as 90...

3. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Ha, yeah, it could be that simple.

4. Leonardo T. Dragon

Leonardo T. Dragon Commander Red Shirt

I couldn't have said it any better. This is a great 50th anniversary treat for the fans!

5. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well that lasted about five minutes :)

The source of the episodes was apparently a batch of four stories sold to Benue-Plateau Television Corporation in Nigeria in 1974. (Abominable Snowman, Enemy Of The World, Web Of Fear and Wheel In Space.) So if there are any more episode to come it will be from those ones baring any other African finds.

Now let's try this abstinence thing again...

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

The Telegraph's full article popped up and then disappeared and said the same thing:

you can read the rest in google cache:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...of-fear-recovered-after-45-years-8872220.html

In terms of price:

7. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

Not long now. Not sure what to look forward to more now, the 50th Anniversary Special or some classic Troughtons!

Earlier this year (before the rumour business started) I joked that they may come across some missing episodes in time for the 50th anniversary. Guess some wishes do come true after all.

Also I've read around some places that there is "more to come" apparently. I wonder if there is any truth to that or is that just rumour BS?

8. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

That "my work must continue" business is interesting, as is the fact that he wasn't actually at the event.
    Well, from the leaked articles it sounds like nothing else is being announced right now, though they apparently didn't rule out further finds either. The people who were right about this when a lot of us were laughing at them have said there's other stuff located, and that there might be a staggered announcement. And more recently it's been claimed that recovery of further found episodes might depend on the money raised from the release of these.

9. Candlelight

Still wonder if William and Carol Ann's appearance (and Anneke's mystery screening) will still play a part...

10. Brendan Moody

Wills was at a screening of An Adventure in Space and Time. She tweeted a photo of herself with Mark Gatiss from that event.

Were Ford and Russell actually at the missing episode event? I've seen it reported both ways.

11. diankra

Just did a bit of checking and it seems the relevant Nigerian station bought seasons 1&2 (inc Marco Polo) BUT 8 years earlier. Could explain why it was mentioned in rumours but not today - it was a possible but no cigar.

12. The Four Doctor

The Four Doctor Commander Red Shirt

Simpson Park, Mitcham, Melbourne, Australia
    still amazing that Enemy and Web survived the net for junking

13. Brendan Moody

Was it the same station, then? BroaDWcast (which may be in error) says it was different ones. Actually, there were apparently four Nigerian stations that ran Doctor Who: the one that bought all of seasons one and two; one that bought two individual stories from season two and one from season three (these were the ones that came back in 1985); the one that bought the four season five stories, two of which are now returned; and one that bought two stories from season six. Eventually, all the stations were incorporated under a national service, and their archives combined... in theory, anyway. The fact that new episodes are still turning up in Nigeria suggests otherwise. If they haven't found Marco Polo, possibly they thought they might because there was a chance the archive centralization left it in the same place as Web and Enemy?

14. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They could have been at the same screening, after all they are both in it.

Enemy and Web have always been pivotal to the rumours, be it 17,42 or 90+. So their recovery doesn't disprove anything. If anything else I would play a hunch we might see Marco Polo by Christmas, but again that was always at the heart of it so wouldn't prove anything further.

Hopefully this is only the beginning. Just getting under 100 is amazing.

15. diankra

Could be: the sales I mentioned are to RKTV.. which might be BPTV in another language (French/English) or after a name change. If not there wee more sales in 1974 than previosly known

16. Brendan Moody

RKTV and BPTV are definitely different stations; one was based in northern Nigeria and one in central Nigeria, and BPTV didn't even exist when RKTV bought seasons one and two. There's more about them at the BroaDWcast link.

17. Brendan Moody

The episodes are now up on both US and UK iTunes. Links:

US Enemy: https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/doctor-who-enemy-world/id704921951
    US Web:https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/doctor-who-the-web-of-fear/id704945256
    UK Enemy: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/tv-season/doctor-who-enemy-world/id704921951
    UK Web: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/tv-season/doctor-who-the-web-of-fear/id704945256

U.S. prices are $1.99 per episode or $9.99 per serial. UK are £1.89 and £9.99 respectively.

Mine are downloading now. Haven't bought from iTunes in so long I had to update my billing info, which felt like torture.

There's a trailer included with Enemy, which confirms that iTunes will be the only download platform for these episodes.

18. Candlelight

I can hear the bells of midnight...

19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'll wait for the DVD's...

20. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder what the coming soon trailer will be for on the 10th Planet DVD? Also is the Enemy of the World cover a slip case or can we buy it with the standard silver cover?