Massive New Trek Lit Update in Star Trek Magazine

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Jun 18, 2010.

1. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Personally, I'm expecting that unless something else comes along for '12 that covers the gap, there'll be a DS9 anthology to expand on the missing five years to coincide with DS9's 20th.

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As an enterprise fan I'm glad we'll be getting a reprint of the first Rw novel and a new Enterprise novel next year. I just wish we'd gotten a short story anthology for the series 10 anniversary.

3. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Trade paperbacks, particularly anthologies where the logistics of producing them are a bit more involved, tend to operate on different schedules than the mass markets, so not seeing one on the schedule (which could change for any of a number of reasons, especially for anything listed as coming out more than 6 months from "now") at this point doesn't necessarily mean we won't see one at all. I know that ideas for at least a couple of different anthologies have been put forth (including one or two I pitched), but so far as I know Jaime hasn't responded to any of them.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dayton thanks for an inside look at how anthlogies are produced.It would be a time consuming process to plot out stories and juggle authors schedules to get the stories in on time to be edited and a book to be published. I still hope we'll get some short story anthologies come out in the next year or two. Good luck with getting your story ideas published.:bolian:

5. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I look forward to The Romulan War: In Shariel's Shadow but disappointed that this is all we get on the 10th anniversary. I know many of us had been holding out for more since we had no Enterprise Novels this year. A real shame.

Please reprint a stitch in time.

6. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm clearly having a memory block, and Memory Alpha/Beta aren't helping.

Who was Shariel? Was he/it a deity or something?

7. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

According to this entry, "Shariel" is the Vulcan god of death.

8. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So I guess perhaps the theme of this book is snatching victory from the jaws of defeat, in a metaphorical sense since this isn't New Frontier.

9. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

Has this been answered and I missed it? I was wondering why Pocket chose to announce the schedule in this issue of the magazine instead of the traditional announcements at Shore Leave? Kind of stole some of Shore Leave's thunder this year and the usual nook lovers anticipation to the upcoming online reports.

Kevin

10. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last year trekmovie posted the schedule before Shore Leave, so it's nothing new. I guess that it was mostly Marco who wanted Shore Leave to be the time to announce the schedule.

And as far as I know there will be no editorial representation at Shore Leave this year anyway, so one or several of the author would've been forced to announce the line-up.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^The schedule announcements at Shore Leave weren't any mandated policy, just a habit the editors had gotten into, I think. So nobody would've been "forced" to do anything. We might have a panel this year taking the place of the usual schedule announcement (in function if not in time slot), but that's something we've been discussing voluntarily.

Star Trek Magazine is the official licensed news source for ST, so it seems like the logical place to post the official schedule announcement.

12. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

With NuTrek being aimed more at the general public rather than old time Trek fans, bypassing the Trek conventions and concentrating more on larger, more general cons like San Diego makes sense.

13. PowderedToastMan

PowderedToastMan Commodore Commodore

Actually for the last couple of years TrekMovie was briefed before hand, but embargoed the article until Margaret/Marco hit the stage at Shore Leave. So anyone at shore leave was getting new info

As there was no Shore Leave presentation this year they went with the Magazine, but we arranged again to do an article that coincided with the release of the mag.

14. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

I dont think it matters. the "general public" isnt likely to buy a Star Trek book where ever it is advertised.

15. Christopher

For the most part, no, but a small percentage might be, and that's enough. After all, the current Trek novel audience is about 1 percent of the Trek fanbase, and that's been sufficient to keep the line going for three decades. And the same would go for the other franchises promoted at a "general" con like San Diego -- their book lines only need to draw in a fraction of the total audience.

16. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

SDCC gets national TV coverage. Shore Leave doesn't.

17. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

I know. I've just never been of the opinion that you'll get any significant increase in people buying stuff like these type of books by choosing to go to a more "mainstream" type of con over a more specific one. The people who have no interest in buying them still wouldnt buy them if you advertsed them during the World Cup final for example.

18. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

SDCC gets national media coverage because of all the TV and film stars and related events. Book publishers don't even move the needle so far as tracking activity there. Hell, even comics don't get a fair shake there anymore. :)

19. Christopher

We're not talking about going that mainstream, we're talking about SF/fantasy/comics conventions as opposed to specifically Star Trek conventions. Lots of genre fans are fans of multiple franchises. Many fans of Star Wars or Stargate or Galactica may have lost touch with ST over the years, but had their interest renewed by the new movie, say.

Besides, if you try, you might fail, but if you don't try, you guarantee failure. So how does it make any sense not to try?

20. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

True, I should have said national media coverage. However it is a much larger convention with a wider audience than Shore Leave. And you know that there will be people in Star Trek costumes shown over and over.