Sony's Perceived Idiocy.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by TedShatner10, Aug 10, 2008.

1. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

And again, I'd say not one of those games are that great. Sure they may be fun but when your console costs as much as a PS3 does they need to be a bit more than what the competition is offering. None of those games are enough to make me want to get a system so I'm going to stand by my statement and say it doesn't have any exclusives that are worth a damn.

2. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Certainly entitled to your opinion, as BigFoot stated, to each his/her own. Uncharted was worth the price of entry for me, not so much because of the game but because of the experience. In a similar manner Gears of War was worth the price of the 360 for me not cus of the game but because of the total experience.

*sigh* good times.

3. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

I do kinda want a PS3, there are some cool things on the horizon like LBP, and there's the bluray player aspect. But the 360 game library isn't exactly leaving me wanting, quite the opposite actually.

4. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Uncharted is a fun game. I got it when it was released and played it once. Then I didn't play until about a week ago when the Trophy patch was released. Since then I've played through it twice already and plan to do so again (on Crushing). And I have to admit I'm actually enjoying it more and more. It's just a ton of fun.

5. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

That's my opinion on the Xbox360...
    As dragunzng said, to each their own...

6. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

And yet, the Sega Dreamcast was allowed to die like an infected dog, even though it didn't have these problems, was able to really surf the 'Net unlike PS2 and XBOX, who could only do it when they were hacked by somebody, and was probably a better system. Amazing how people were/are so gullible (and I have to include myself as well, since I bought both a PS1 and a PS2-the latter system because of the crappy game Superman: Shadow Of Apokolips when I could have bought a XBOX and be playing Crimson Skies instead! I have enjoyed my PS2, though, although I am now on my 3rd.)

7. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or lucky. I expect my XBOX 360 to blow any day now.
    And I've had one PS2 go on me as well.
    It's commonplace.

Permit me to entertain you with a Japanese expression:
    soni taima (Sony Timer)
    "ソニタイマ"
    The idea is that some Japanese people believe that Sony actually designs its own electronics to malfunction at a future date, ideally just after the warranty expires, requiring the consumer to buy another!
    It's even on wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_timer

In a lot of countries, that level of unethical behavior from such a large company would cause intense rage! But in Japan, it seems to be laughed about and shrugged off.

(Personally, I don't buy into the "Sony Timer" myth)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  8. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

The "sony timer" concept is not unique to the japanese. ;)

9. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

My first PS2 lasted a pretty long time, well over half a decade, but the streamline PS2 seems very fragile and I lost the first one within only two years.

10. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

ok, i have had 3 psp's over it's run, a first gen which had the defect of the buttons being so close to the screen that i killed some pixels hitting the button, i leant it to my friend and his 5 year old brother got his hands on it, the second ran great, disappeared mysteriously, now i got the new gen Red God of War psp and it came with a dead pixel in the middle of the screen, a much more fragile construction (its mostly cheap plastic when the first two gens were mostly metal with a rubber handgrip texture) and to show how sony feels about it's fans, they packaged the movie "superbad" with the GOW PSP

my PS1 ans PS2 ran pretty well, no complaints there

i'll only get a PS3 if they remake Final Fantasy 7 (it's implied by the ending of crisis core but Squenix has waffled on the official word)

</all seph has to say on sony>

11. unimatrix7

unimatrix7 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It implies no such thing. It's a prequel, and it says 'to be continued' at the end of it. That doesn't imply a remake is on the way anymore than it's suggesting you go and put the original FF7 back into your PS1/PS2/PS3.

12. Sephiroth

the video at the end, the remake of the ff7 intro was introduced a few years ago to demo the graphics of the PS3, given how popular and expanded the series, it's highly concievable that there is a remake in the works

13. unimatrix7

I'm not suggesting it isn't conceivable, and I hope it happens too. I'm just saying that Crisis Core didn't really imply anything one way or the other.

14. Sephiroth

i kinda see the inclusion of that video as a subtle hint, remember, final fantasy 7 originally had alot of delay problems due to square being premature on the announcement

15. dragunzng

I don't know that a FFVII remake is actually in the works, but they've hinted and teased about it, whether on purpose or not, far too strongly for them not to do something on that front.

That said, I sort of doubt it'll come out this generation, Nomura and co are a little to busy working on Fabula Nova Crystalis as well as the various Kingdom Hearts games methinks.

16. Sephiroth

if you look around somewhere, you will find some promo images fo FF7 and 8 remade for the PS2, but they killed it cause the ps3 was gonna be out in 2 years, so it would have been a waste of effort, wouldn't be suprised if they have been working on it since they got the tools to start coding PS3 games

17. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

It would be fun if Sony remade FFVII, they would be criminally stupid to pass that on, but I won't hold my breath.

18. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From what I've read Final Fantasy XIII development hasn't been going smoothly and has been using a huge amount of Square Enix's work force, so I doubt they are actually able to remake Final Fantasy VII for the PS3 unless they farmed it out to a different company.

19. unimatrix7

I think you're right, but the timeframe may have been off. Square confirmed that remakes of FF7, 8, and 9 would be coming to the PS2 - but they did that at the very beginning of the PS2's lifecycle. I think they were killed by 2003, at the latest.

20. dragunzng

Sony can't remake FFVII, only Square Enix can.