Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

They were in good company. When Burton told Keaton that he was making a Batman movie and wanted to cast Keaton in it, the actor's first reaction was 'Oh, as The Joker? Yeah, I'd be up for that.' Cue double-take when the director tells him what part he wanted him for.

I know this is well off the Superman topic, but I think Tom Cavanagh (Yogi Bear, Ed, Scrubs) looks really like The Joker.

(And it's hard to believe from his imdb page that he's 49 this year http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0146915/ )

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. 20 years from now, no one is going to remember some crappy scifi flick like Battle: Los Angeles or some disposable Adam Sandler comedy. They'll just remember the good stuff, like Bridesmaids, Drive, or The Artist.

Every year there are TONS of great movies that are released-- you just have to know where to look for them.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have we heard anything about what movies will be advertising during the Superbowl? Or is that too early?
    EDIT: Oops, didn't realize there were more posts after the trailer discussion.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

We usually don't hear about Super Bowl trailers until near the end of this month. The NFL playoffs have just started this weekend so we probably won't hear about trailers for a good couple weeks yet.

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Hollywood, from day one, was built on recycling old ideas. Anything considered original is a novelty and far from the norm.

6. Broccoli

I bet there will be, at least, an Avengers. Marvel movies tend to get previewed during the Super Bowl, I've noticed.

7. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

We'll probably see the first teaser trailer with The Dark Knight Rises.

8. Admiral_Young

^ I kind of doubt that. It'd be sweet but I think the big trailer will be "The Amazing Spider-Man". Perhaps "Avengers" as Broc stated. Maybe Ghost Rider will squeeze one in there. If anything maybe we'll get the first TDKR trailer or something from last month.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

At this point I'd be happy with just some more official photos of the cast.

10. Admiral_Young

11. Broccoli

I like that casting, and I'm happy to know that Hamilton will be featured in the movie.

12. Admiral_Young

The casting in this movie has been incredible...maybe this late casting announcement gives some credence to that Bradley Cooper/Luthor rumour, which i've not seen confirmed still.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's a question, don't know if it's worth to open a whole thread about it. Superman basically has strength of plot, right? If he needs to lift an entire continent, he can, if he needs to fly faster than light to travel through time, he can. His heat vision can burn through any material in no time if the plot requires it.

But does any of that exhaust Superman? Will he get breathless/weak after an hour of flight and needs to take a sunbath?

It would be kinda cool if they made an effort in the movie to keep it consistent (at least inside the movie). In Superman Returns he did need to take a sunbath, but because he was stabbed. And then it looked like lifting the crystal island took him just as much power and effort as lifting the airplane in the first act.

14. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Per Miller and Byrne, yes. Fucking ridiculous.

15. Broccoli

In the Byrne reboot era, it was mentioned once that he needed two hours a sleep a day.

Though, I don't understand why that would be "fucking ridiculous". If anything, like all living creatures, it makes sense that he'd need to rest and recharge at least a little bit. Then again, I also don't get enraged over the make believe biology of a fictional character.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

To me, it makes more realistic, and enjoyable if he does actually get tired, and needs to recharge. While I have enjoyed the Superman stuff I've seen, I've found it a little annoying at times just how powerful he is.

17. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Why? Even in the Pre-Crisis era, Superman was shown to sleep and need rest.

18. Admiral_Young

"Superman: The Animated Series" and the Timm Verse in general showed a significantly de-powered Superman who even got beat up and tossed around at times.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I like a "Superman who sweats" as Byrne put it a few decades ago.

20. Admiral_Young

I have never really cared much about Superman's power capabilities as a limitation or frustration. To me that's the challenge as a writer. To make that concept work. I tend to think fans make a big deal about this particular subject. Look at "All Star Superman" for example. Morrison decided to write a Superman that was immensely powerful, near the end of his career. It is generally considered one of the greatest Superman stories ever.