Battle: Los Angeles Trailer

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Locutus of Bored, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

The first trailer for the alien invasion film 'Battle: Los Angeles' can be found here.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The movie might suffer a little from audience fatigue given the similar setting and premise to this month's 'Skyline' (aliens invade Earth as seen primarily from the perspective of LA), but the quality of the acting talent involved is certainly improved; no offense to Turk from 'Scrubs.' The two films even share the same VFX artists (the Strause Bros. directed and did the FX for 'Skyline').

The director's short catalog of mostly bad horror films doesn't exactly inspire confidence, although the low-budget psychological thriller 'The Killing Room' was surprisingly tense for being primarily set in the one room that gives the film its name:

- Genesis and Catastrophe (2000)
    - Darkness Falls (2003)
    - Rings (2005)
    - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006)
    - The Killing Room (2009)

It's sort of a sad testament to the number of films shooting elsewhere nowadays that a film set in and featuring Los Angeles in the title is shot in Louisiana with the LA skyline done entirely on green screen, especially since it's not hard to find Marine bases near Los Angeles to borrow your vehicles and extras from.

2. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a truly terrible title. It sounds more like the title of a first-person shooter than a feature film.

Still, the film itself sounds interesting.

3. Locutus of Bored

Yeah, it is. They would have been better off calling it 'The Battle of Los Angeles' if they wanted to keep it connected to that event. Still not a great title but better than what we have. Though the international title is even worse.

4. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I'd much rather see a movie set in 1942 about the Battle of Los Angeles (even though it was already made- Speilberg's underrated 1941) if there was going to be one inspired by it...

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Looks fairly decent from the trailer (which doesn't mean much).

Like the World Invasion: Battle LA title better though.

6. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

I like the sort of vibe they're going for with the ID4/Blackhawk Down atmosphere, but I get the impression that the movie was designed as a gimmick instead of focusing on a good story and plot.

I hope I'm wrong, I'd love to see this be a great movie, but if its just another platoon of grunts running around LA shooting at CGI effects it'll basically be the end of Transformers all over again.

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

This was an easy one for The Asylum to rip off. They're calling theirs "Battle of Los Angeles." The budget might be a tad lower though. :lol:

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just saw it and quite enjoyed it, will probably see this next spring.

9. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll take a look when it comes out here:)

(And just going off the trailer, I wouldn't mind seeing a mod of this flick for for one of the Modern Warfare games)

10. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Hope its better than Skyline, because it looks exactly the same.

And I'm sick of trailers saying "NOTHING CAN PREPARE YOU..." No, nothing can surprise us more like. We've seen all this shit before a million times.

11. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks interesting so far.

12. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

I guess the sequel will have the title Battle: New York. :)

13. Locutus of Bored

Here's the international trailer:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT_YL1085cY&feature=related[/yt]

14. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

I do like the MOOD of this trailer, and the way the visuals and music play out to convey that mood into an almost District 9 feel. For now I am going to see this, unless as its time draws closer, I feel that it'll royally suck.

15. Brandonv

Brandonv Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It is a cool trailer. But then again, I also thought the trailer for Babylon A.D. was cool. ;) I guess we will have to wait and see.

It seems like alien invasion movies are starting to make a comeback. After watching this trailer I keep thinking that it would be cool to do a Half-Life movie set during the Combine invasion of earth.

16. jep316

jep316 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well it was made by the same special effects company Hydraulx which is own by Greg and Colin Strause, the directors of Skyline, in fact Sony Pictures is threatening to sue the brothers over using resources they had gained while working on Battle: Los Angeles without their consent to make Skyline.

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

This one being told from the perspective of soldiers fighting the alien threat should make it an improvement over Skyline which is told from the perspective of douchebag partygoers witnessing the alien threat.

Sadly, I worry that some may overlook it since it looks so similar to Skyline and they are reminded of those horrible memories. A shame since Battle: Los Angeles looks like it'll be the better of the two movies.

18. Aragorn

Is that Peter Weller doing the voiceover?

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Of ALL the SCI FI themes out there, the one I LEAST expected to make a comeback was the Alien invasion one. Just amazing.

RAMA

No, its the narrator for Frontline

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Lyman

RAMA

20. Aragorn

Yahoo Movies has the FULL TRAILER.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_pAsPPDdC8[/yt]