What is "canon?"

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by dub, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Lenny Nurdbol

Lenny Nurdbol Lieutenant Commander

And I am So glad that you appreciate my wisdom to consider me lucky to have around!

You have a funny way of using the word "saves"!
    Maybe J.J will bring back Jar-Jar?
    If He does it, it's gotta be great!
    (And if J.J. were a little bit older, I'd also believe that he was named After Jar-Jar Binks!)...

2. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Does it hurt to pat yourself on the back like that? Or do you have special exercises that you do beforehand?

3. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Would it be risking a security breach to ask if that membership extends beyond yourself? :)

4. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

[​IMG]

5. Lenny Nurdbol

Lenny Nurdbol Lieutenant Commander

Just a little necessary humor... I think that this thread, among others, could use it!
    I really don't understand why so many people are so tense around here these days... I mean, it's just this old TV show, right?

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Who's tense? We think you're comedy gold.

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

You do realize, don't you, that Geoffrey Mandel worked on both "ST Maps" for Bantam (credited as the Astronomical Artist, but he was actually the Co-illustrator/Editor) and "ST Star Charts" for Pocket, and his brief from Pocket's editors was to tweak "Maps" to take in all the new information provided about the layout of the galaxy suggested by the TOS movies, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT?

Additionally, he worked on...

Of course, after Mandel settled on Procyon as Andor's star for "ST Star Charts), along came an episode of ENT that decided that Andor was an icy moon orbiting a ringed gas giant.

And the "Starfleet Medical Reference Manual", building upon a reference in the "ST Technical Manual", designated Andor as being Epsilon Indi VIII, not VII.

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not tense... unfortunately there's just a good number of plain hateful people on this forum.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lenny Nerdbol was really the infmous James Dixon, he knew. In his Fandom Star Trek Chronology he dubbed Geoffrey Mandel "the lastest traitor to Treknical fandom."

I tried to explain to him the reasons why Franz Joseph's manual and other books of the era were ignored (some of which made sense, some of which were downright underhanded and petty), but he refused to believe it, instead blaming everything on Mike Okuda as if he went rogue and took over the franchise... :shrug:

10. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Why just live action? TAS was onscreen, was it not? I include it in my canon

Canon is on screen sources. The TV shows and the movies. Things like novelisations are B level canon (as they're usually based on earlier script drafts from before the episode/movie was completed)

11. CaptainDave1701

CaptainDave1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Canon is like "Row Row Your Boat" where you do things in a round that goes back to the beginning and continues in a circle into eternity or until someone either dies or just get's plain tired. :rofl: