Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Re: TOS Enterprise Interiors -- Unreal 3 Engine

For anyone who's interested in such things, here's a side-by-side comparison of the polygon content of each model:
    [​IMG]
    You see that things have to be condensed down considerably in order to make a game-ready model. It's a sacrifice of detail to have this all rendered in real-time, for sure.

2. LilyThompson

LilyThompson Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Donny, I am DROOLING over your work. :luvlove::drool::eek: I was wondering, do you do physical drawings or are you mainly a computer guy? Either one would be great, because I need someone who is REALLY good at fanart to help me with my new fanfic. Basically, the character I've created is a female cross between TOS Kirk and Spock (There is a good reason for this and they are NOT gay.) Could you - would you - help me out?

3. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice Donny.

A suggestion from a game perspective would be to have the top piece of the Phaser-1 raised, perhaps in sniper mode. You can see Kirk using it to aim in "The Man Trap".

4. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd look forward to seeing your ideas for TOS Assault phasers and phaser rifles to be used in the game :)

5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

They had the three-coil rifles in WNMHGB, but I don't recall ever seeing assault phasers in anything TOS until Final Frontier.

6. Donny

I'm building the Phaser Rifle as seen in WNMHGB right now. I've always loved that design. As for an Assault Phaser, I really don't see the need for one. From a functionality standpoint, how would it differ from a regular Phaser?

7. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I alway made the assumption that an assault phaser would be a more robust version of the Phaser 2 perhaps without the Phaser 1 connection and a larger engergy reserve. An earlier version of what we saw in ST-V

8. 137th Gebirg

I suppose the AbramsVerse phaser could be construed as a TOS-era assault phaser after a fashion - a design which I actually like, with its flippy emitter nozzles. I just wish it wasn't bloody chrome!

9. blssdwlf

It really isn't any different functionally. There's a Type-1 something in the forward housing. The grip has an energy clip. It just looks "meaner" :)

10. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Great reproductions, Donny! I really don't want to be devil's advocate but somebody should mention it:

Considering what the old "pilot" phasers looked like, I feel that the WNM phaser rifle design is clearly a "child" of the pilot TOS pre-production phase and look.

Put next to the advanced and timeless phaser II design, it looks like a relict from another time and era, IMHO (and might have been the reason from the producers' point of view not to reuse it in the regular series).

Bob

11. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.

I don't know how you manage to do all that, Donny.

You, sir, are a master.

12. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

That's a video game? How do the people come out?

13. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I always felt it was more that the phaser II was supposed to be so powerful, one didn't really need a "rifle" version.

The production, however, probably didn't reuse the rifle because they didn't own the design and would have to pay royalties for a reuse (if they were allowed to even reuse it at all).

14. blssdwlf

A TOS-ified Phaser 3 rifle with the same design as the Phaser 2 would make sense when they didn't want to haul down a ship's laser cannon onto the surface ala "The Cage". The older Phaser rifle from "WNMHGB" seemed just as capable in taking off the top of a small rocky mountain :D

15. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Especially when it appears they recycled the animated "beam" and "sparks" from "The Cage". ;)

Sincerely,

Bill

16. Robert Comsol

Exactly :techman: The reason I linked the images was to suggest that the golden, cylindrical core component of the pilot phasers can be easily spotted in the phaser rifle, only much longer and times three.

It almost seems phaser I is the analogy to the pilot phaser, while phaser II could be the analogy to the phaser rifle.

Apparently Gene Roddenberry stated something along the lines he didn't want rifles in the regular series, IIRC because of allusions to westerns (hmm..."Wagon Train to the Stars"? :rolleyes:).

Now either he changed his mind after "Where No Man Has Gone Before" or it was the excuse not to pay royalties.

Bob

17. 137th Gebirg

Eh...I just chalk it up to one more of Roddenberry's myriad self-contradictions.

18. Donny

I have to admit, I'm getting pretty tired of sickbay. Gonna try to finish it soon so I can move on to more exciting areas, like Engineering.

Here's some shots of the pressure chamber in the medical laboratory. I still have a few details to flesh out (wall plant-ons and such), but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  19. me999

me999 Ensign Newbie

Hi Donny,

I have been following your progress with your builds - the TOS enterprise interiors and enterprise e as well as your previous work on the enterprise d using the quake engine. I really like your attention to detail and your renders are the most realistic I have seen.

I have been experimenting with the oculus rift and would love to walk around your models using the rift. There is already built-in support in UDK.

Any chance you could put compile a demo with oculus support or provide source so I can compile one?

20. Robert Comsol

Based on my experience in the TOS Enterprise deck plan thread, I dare to say I think I know exactly how you're feeling. Seriously, who wants to spend more time than necessary in sickbay when you're healthy and can explore other areas of the ship instead...unless you're an M.D. and not an engineer (okay, in "The Lights of Zetar" it's somewht vague with Scotty suddenly developing an interest in female "life sciences" and his delta insignia changing accordingly). :rommie:

Looks great. :techman: Now, it becomes even clearer that the chamber door rested on rails and slided horizontally. A great eye-opener considering it wasn't that obvious in the episode/s.

I'm also looking forward to your reproduction of the engine room, but do you plan to still feature the horizontal viewing glass on the chamber and the console operated by Spock?
    (no reply necessary if these show up in one of the next posts ;)).

Bob