Aurora-Class Bridge Module

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Kaelri, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Kaelri

Kaelri Ensign Newbie

Hey, folks! A long time ago, I posted a Trek-inspired starship bridge design that I'd been working on - I got a great response and a lot of helpful feedback. The project fell by the wayside shortly thereafter - but last week, after 10 months away from it, I got the inspiration to pick it up again. (I think it might have something to do with all seven seasons of TNG showing up on Netflix. :)

So here's my greatly-revised-and-expanded "Aurora" command module infographic! The resolution is very high, so I'm going to link rather than embed it:

Aurora Command Module, Draft V

Aurora Command Module, Draft V (with Intrepid-class Scale Overlay)

This is not a pure Star Trek design; elements are also inspired by the CIC of Battlestar Galactica (2004) and the White House Situation Room, as depicted in The West Wing. In short, it's not something you'd find on a 23rd- or 24th-century Federation starship. But fundamentally, Trek is its heritage, and I believe you'll find something of every USS Enterprise (not to mention Voyager, Defiant, and a place called Terok Nor) in its DNA.

To save you the trouble of reading the earlier thread, I'll summarize the concept:

- The captain is situated at the center of the bridge. All primary stations are oriented to face her - and, consequently, each other - so no one has to look over their shoulder to talk to someone.

- Instead of a viewscreen, the main display is a holographic image projected in the air above the conn area.

- Fore and aft stations are recessed, to give the captain a clear view of the screens. Each viewscreen can also be split up and converted into auxiliary consoles, allowing the bridge crew size to expand or contract as needed.

- Port and starboard stations are raised, to give the stations a better view of the hologram. All of the main entrances are located behind these stations, to shield the commanding officers from distractions.

- The ready room and briefing room share the bridge's transparent viewscreens, allowing the captain and other officers to keep an eye on the bridge at all times.

- And yes, I decided to be one of Those People who thinks about where the bathrooms are.

Questions and feedback are more than welcome. Otherwise, I just hope some of my fellow design geeks are entertained. :)

2. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very nice. I could see this fitting as a typical command centre for a Trek-verse starbase or other facility. You put a lot of thought into this design and it shows, well done!

Mark

3. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

Very DS9esque...

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very Excellent Bridge design :) :techman:

5. Kaelri

Kaelri Ensign Newbie

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone. :)