(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I hate to say it but Derby are at the edge of that list as well.

Are southampton being docked the points this season not next then?

2. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Apparently it depends on where they finish. If they escape the drop, they get the -10 this season so will get relegated anyway. If they finish in the relegation zone, they get the penalty next season. I believe the rule was brought in due to Leeds going into administration right at the end of the season in 2007 to avoid having the penalty in League One, which they were 99% likely to drop into by that time anyway.

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well I guess the aim is to finish outside the bottom three this season but I doubt they will now so it's 10 points next season. It does make sense because it can be exploited but it's a bit of a kicker as well.

4. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I find it hard to have any sympathy for Southampton due to their bitterness after the playoffs a few years ago.

Derby are on the edge of the list, but I doubt we'll have too much trouble. All of the other teams below us need to get points with us getting none. Personally, I think we'll beat Charlton tomorrow and then it doesn't matter either way.

Roy Keane at Ipswich, not so sure that's a great idea. Seems to have questionable man-management skills and really only achieved anything at Sunderland after spending £80m and having Niall Quinn's unconditional support. He won't have anything like that at Ipswich. I'm surprised he's taken that job to be honest.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well it is unlikely, but unfortunately not impossible. I reckon we'll probably get a point against Charlton tomorrow and someone else will slip up making it academic.

I thought Keane did an ok job to get Sunderland promoted. I don't think he spent too much getting them up (although he got some nice loan players from Utd if I recall correctly) it was after promotion that he went spend crazy (but he did keep them up remember.)

6. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

He seems to suggest he left Sunderland because Ellis Short was interfering too much, which had not been the case before he became the majority shareholder.

I do agree though - he wasted colossal sums of money on poor players at Sunderland, and only barely avoided relegation last season. On the other hand, his man-management is perhaps more effective in lower leagues than when dealing with premiership egos. Paul Ince and Phil Brown are probably the same.

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

He took Sunderland from bottom of the championship to top in less than a full season and didn't spend too much more tha nayine else around him, so I wouldn't say hes not done anything. Ipswich sacking Jim for being 9th/10th is a little dodgy IMO who do they think they are but am sure Keane could get them up within 2 seasons but they would never survive in the PL.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well they did at least give Magilton 3 seasons, and the impression I get is that he did spent quite a bit and the team, whilst not terrible, doesn't seem to be getting better. I don't think that's a terrible reason for sacking a manager...sure as hell a lot better than getting rid of Ince after a couple of months.

9. Angel4576

Safe with a game to spare! :D

Thank you Mr Hulse.

A nice relaxing weekend next week with fingers crossed that Forest pull their usual trick and blow things! :D

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Time for Reading to finish off Norwich ;)

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

2-0 to the Arsenal, good result and a nice sportsmanlike game from Boro so a round of applause to them too, no yellow cards for either side.

12. Tomalak

I think time's run out for Norwich, which is a shame for them.

It's not too long ago since they were in the premier league, having romped home to win the first division. Then came the crazy relegation battle in 2005, where they only needed a draw to stay up, but managed to get beaten 6-0 by Fulham instead. Everyone remembers Delia's wine-fueled rallying cry!

It all went wrong when they threw away the first premiership title in 1993, in everyone's favourite pub quiz question. And they're the only English club to win away at Bayern Munich.

As you can tell, I've got a mate who is a Carrow Road season ticket holder.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah the number of people who sneered when Jewell bought Hulse but great season 50+ games and 18 goals, not bad for someone who cost less than 2 million. Am very glad that that's over, we can relax and look forward to next season.

While it would be highly amusing to see Billy Davies relegated, I would miss the local derbys and the 4/6 points next season...then again there's always Leicester! :lol:

14. Angel4576

^^ Yeah that's what I'll tell myself if they escape. If they don't though, well, like you said, there's always Leicester, and the chance to p*ss ourselves laughing at Billy the Troll..... :lol:

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Watching the game and oh yes oh yes FOREST are staying the Championship, thank you Reading and Shaun Long :cool::cool::cool:

Time to give Derby that over due spanking next season

16. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Forest are officially safe. Well done boys.

17. Nivilla1982

Nivilla1982 Ensign Newbie

Does not look good for Norwich.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Good luck with that :devil:

19. Tomalak

It does not. They do have marginally better goal difference than Barnsley, but that's a very long shot.

A strange one for Newcastle - they seemed to create chances, but also faded badly. This was really a must win game, and I can see the Newcastle-Middlesbrough match being a result that helps neither side.

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

You do have to wonder just how screwed Newcastle are if they get relegated. Owen Viduka etc are all on huge contracts, and many of them don't have much resale value really, and even though some of them will be attractive to other clubs, will they pay the same wages?