Coming July 2013: STAR TREK ENTERPRISE — RISE OF THE FEDERATION

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Christopher, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

And, I'd say that a raid on the people of Earth could still be a raid on an early Earth colony world.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, there were two "Man/M'dok wars" - one before and one after the founding of the Federation. Sadly, even the cut-down pseudo-Kzinti don't fit into ENT's version of the 22nd century.

3. Hando

Hando Commander Red Shirt

Can you tell me where you are getting this? According to Picard in the Captain's Honor, there was one war in the past and he feared starting a second.

Christopher, by the way, why are you creating a new uniform, or even a single Starfleet, directly after the Federation's founding? Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the Mirror Universe and to a lesser extent the story 'A Less Perfect Union' actually show that the TOS-era Starfleet was a successor to/extention of the Earth Starfleet (although it could be the Chicken and the Egg scenario).

If you have already thought out an answer and will use it in the book then I will let myself be surprised.

4. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Well, maybe it was easier for the Andorians, Tellarites and Vulcans to adopt the visual style of the Earth newcomers instead of those of their former longstanding enemies. No historical taint, so to say. :vulcan:

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Obviously Earth Starfleet is one of its primary antecedents, but it doesn't make sense that it would be the only one. It's not like the other members' space fleets/services would've just evaporated. As I said in my initial post, they may have made greater contributions to the Federation Starfleet than is superficially apparent.

The Mirror Universe's 23rd-century ships presumably looked the way they did because they were copying the Defiant's technology. As for the ALPU timeline, we couldn't actually see the ships, so there could've been differences in the tech that weren't evident on the page.

Besides, why not make a change? This is the start of a new era in Trek history. I'm not just doing more ENT, I'm showing the beginnings of the institutions we got to know in TOS and beyond. This is called Rise of the Federation, after all. The new uniforms are symbolic of a new beginning, both in-story and metatextually.

Not to mention that changing uniforms is kind of a Starfleet tradition. Kirk's crew went through four different uniform designs in 20 years -- pilot, TOS, TMP, and TWOK. Picard's crew has been through almost as many in a comparable span of time -- TNG seasons 1-2, the slight variant design from seasons 3-7, the DS9 fatigues used in GEN, and the FC-style uniforms. Archer and crew wore the same basic uniforms for a decade -- I say they're due for a change.

As for the timing, the Starfleet Academy seal introduced in TNG specifies a founding date of 2161, so I'm kind of locked in there. But that doesn't mean there isn't a process of transition and evolution to be explored.

6. rfmcdpei

rfmcdpei Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They were doing their job. The two big existential challenges faced by Earth in that decade came from the Xindi and the Romulans, two species that were not only unknown to the humans but were also mostly unknown to the galactic neighbourhood. (The Vulcans kept knowledge of the Romulans very limited within their own civilization.) They can't be blamed for not knowing that two unknown out-of-area civilizations had it in for Earth.

(It's also not evident that Section 31's meanderings were actually that useful. Wouldn't Trip's original mission have seen him providing support to a Romulan faction that would have been even more anti-Earth than the incumbents?)

Earth was a Vulcan protectorate during this time period. It's implausible that the Vulcans would have let the Kzin, or any aliens, go after their protectorate. Also, given the nature of the Vulcans' technological lead over the galactic neighbourhood at the time, it's implausible to me that the Kzin would have been more than a nuisance.

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I think we will (more than with the other novel series) need a full visual guide. Pretty much everything is going to be different. Uniforms, hairstyles, ships, interiors, the works. Sketches of uniforms and character designs are only part of it...pretty much every other Trek period has a TV show or movie as a point of reference.

I'm all for using your imagination, but in a shared universe like this we should all be imagining something consistent !

8. Christopher

We have seen two glimpses of possible looks for the ENT cast in the early 2160s: "Twilight" and "These Are the Voyages." Although one was an alternate timeline and the other was an apparently very inaccurate holosimulation.

9. Middleman

Middleman Captain Captain

[​IMG]

10. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Twilight - the only Enterprise episode up to the standards of TNG/DS9s peak days ...

11. Christopher

I think there were more than one that came close. And some that did a good job of capturing a TOS flavor ("Observer Effect" in particular stands out there).

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think there were a shitload of episodes better than Twilight.

13. Sho

I agree that Enterprise was good fun plenty of times, and I was actually quite impressed by the ambitious season 3 arc. But I don't know, the only time I really felt those people, sat up straight and had a pang in my heart for what they faced and and what they felt for each other, that was during Twilight. A great hour of television, that one.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Honestly, and this isn't meant to demean your view in any way, I found Twilight dull and contrived. One of the least entertaining episodes of the series. An episode that really didn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things with the massive reset button being pushed at the end.

15. Sho

^ That's totally OK, and I can even see where you're coming from. It's probably also a question of mood-in-life at the time of viewing, etc. I agree that the script wasn't terribly original for example, but I guess in concert with the actors' performances it just hit me in the right way and moved me.

There's a bunch of other moments like that in Trek, some of which have the added benefit of being also intellectually pretty stimulating. Picard in Chain of Command, Garak interrogating Odo ... powerful stuff.

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Uniforms are symbolic. New era, new uniform! And novels don't have to worry about a wardrobe budget!

17. F. King Daniel

For whatever it's worth, I've always had a fondness for FASA's idea of a post-Romulan War uniform (from 1986):
    [​IMG]

18. F. King Daniel

I'm probably misremembering.

19. Captain59

Captain59 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Connecticut - Home of the Hartford Whalers
    Wow...I can't believe I just found out about this, but...WHOO HOO!!! I'm so looking forward to this. I can't wait to pre-order! I was worried Enterprise novels were dead. Full speed ahead!

20. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Also glad to hear this news. CB, I'm glad the franchise will be in good hands.