classic Who should be in colour..

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by starsuperion, Jan 21, 2011.

1. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

I know most do not agree, but I can't help but think that it would just make the older series come to life in a new way..

don't get me wrong..

I love the old school classic black and white..

but there is something to be said for the coloured images found on this site:
    http://kittensdirect.com/colourise/season1.html
    http://kittensdirect.com/colourise/season2.html
    http://kittensdirect.com/colourise/season3.html
    http://kittensdirect.com/colourise/season4.html
    http://kittensdirect.com/colourise/season5.html
    http://kittensdirect.com/colourise/season6.html

watch this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4mSbAFU1WM&feature=related

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've always thought no and those hideous photo's just reinforce my opinion.

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

agreed.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Wow in some of those pics the skin tone is so sallow that Steven looks like a zombie! :lol:

Anyway not going to get embroiled in this debate again. It was made in B&W, leave it in B&W, that is all :)

5. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Hmm. This is now the third thread we've had on this same subject recently and my response hasn't changed. Nope. No colour.

6. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Thirded.

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I wouldn't want the original B&W erased from existence, but, I see no problem with having a color option

8. starsuperion

2 out of a billion fans agree..2 out of a billion.. haha hahaha.. Sorry josan, I didn't realise there had been other threads on this same subject..

however, it does show to me that there is at least some others who are interested in this subject as I..

so like I said, even if I know the vast majority are against it, I feel comforted in knowing there are some others of the same mindset..

that said, if the BBC did release some colourised epi's would you turn them down?

9. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If we're talking about how we'd like to see the classic series given a new prominence, I'd much rather see the missing episodes animated, a la The Invasion.

Color isn't going to do much to make the older shows more accessible. Even if they somehow could remaster them in 3-D, it's still not the kind of story-telling that's going to grab a lot of new viewers.

And that Menoptera convinces me--these are stories where the visuals aren't exactly the most compelling aspect, if you know what I mean.

10. starsuperion

that is true, but then again I see by your avatar you like the animated trek..which then I can assume you like the classic trek as well...and well, some of the classic trek's visuals were lets say... interesting..

they were in colour.. and I still like them..

I also prefer the classic lost in space in colour as apposed to it's original black and white format.. so maybe hokey and campy looks more realistic in black and white, but honestly for me, the colourised versions just stand out more and endear themselves to me more..

in all honesty I would rather the original missing epissodes found their way back to the BBC as apposed to animation placed in to supplant the missing.. however with no sight of the missing episodes surfacing as of yet, I would also second your wanting them to release those animated ones..

however, I wouldn't mind a (star wars the clone wars cartoon style) retelling of the lost episodes in that animated style, but set to the original sound track of the lost serials..

honestly if we are going to retcon the classic Who, might as well do it right in 3D CGI
    http://harry-palmer.cghub.com/files/Image/014001-015000/14253/767_stream.jpg

11. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes I would turn them down - what possible reason would I have to buy them in colour when I already have them in B&W!?

Colourising would make no difference to the scripts, direction or performances so what does it actually give us.

Surely the only reason to have them in colour is to get extra sales among people who won't watch B&W and lets face it if they can't cope with B&W the pacing and style of the 60's episodes will be just as problematic!

I would like to see the rest of the missing episodes animated as we don't have the originals. CGI effects are fine as a DVD extra but otherwise no thanks.

12. Shatnertage

This is what I was trying to say.

And as far as TOS goes, I'll be the first one to acknowledge its weaknesses. I definitely don't watch it for the special effects. At this point, it's more of a nostalgia thing.

13. Winterwind

Actually, I'm quite certain that you even started one of them.

And if the Beeb colourised some classic episodes, while I would watch them out of curiosity I wouldn't buy them. The black and white on my DVD shelf are plenty fine. ;)

14. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I enjoy seeing colourised images, and last time we had this debate I was of the opinion that I thought it would be okay to colourise episodes. Everyone disagreed with me and I thought about their opinions and they seemed to be valid to me. I still like seeing colourised images when they are done well.

15. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This reminds me of all those threads they used to have over in the ST:TOS forum about having CGI effects for TOS, and look what happened there.

16. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Yes. Colorize it and edit the serials down into something watchable.

17. Winterwind

Blasphemy!!!

Kelso, you should be ashamed of yourself. And you completely distracted me from my thoughts whilst looking through the links in the OP. I was in a pleasant place, having my coffee and thinking... "Mmm... Zoe..."

18. Shatnertage

^ I don't totally agree with Kelso, but I know where he's coming from.

19. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

It gets my vote. I can't see that there'd be much of a market, though.

20. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I sense Kelso had tongue in cheek in that last comment, but I've seen people make the comment in total seriousness, not just regarding Doctor Who, but in their rationale for never watching black and white movies like Citizen Kane. My opinion has always been if something as petty as color is a deal-breaker, you don't deserve to watch it, period.

What has me worried is I'm starting to see people exhibit the same prejudice against non-HD and non-3D productions too (and permanent physical books). Worried, and quite sad because these people are squandering themselves out of a lot of entertainment and potential enlightenment. More for me, I guess.

Alex