classic Who should be in colour..

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by starsuperion, Jan 21, 2011.

1. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

future generations are going to be sooo spoiled..

"what's black and white tv? what's a fax?? What's a TV, we only immerse ourselves in hologram Vision, where you don't sit on the couch and are part of the interactive adventure.."

that does bother me..

in japan they had the first free form hologram (ala princess lea star wars) singing anime chick.. with AI software..

with 3D, and WII Fit, the Xbox Kinnex and so on..you get up off the couch and move cause of the obsessive need to stop the couch potatoes..

one day, TV will be a bygone era, and 3D immersible holographic serials, or holographic TV will be come the medium..

"don't just watch a show, live it!" or some such nonsense..

by then, you and I will have a passing thought..

ya know..??

compared to what the future may yield..Classic Doctor who in colour didn't sound so bad..:techman:

2. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

^

I too am dismayed by the world spinning, time passing and people changing. Where can I subscribe to your newsletter?

3. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Well... halfway. ;)

Having been filmed in black and white for the first 6 seasons is the least of the old show's problems. But the show did genuinely suffer from the serialized format and could be greatly improved by having the padding edited out.

And as for Citizen Kane... well, I agree that works of art should go unmolested... but we ain't talkin' about a work of art here. :lol:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  4. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    No, no, no, no and no! Leave them the way they were originally shot. They were designed to be filmed in black and white and that is the way they should be seen.

They can clean up the video, add more clarirty and convert it to blu-ray, but darn it, I like my Troughton monocromatic!

5. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The serialized format is the point, that's what the show was intended to be - if you take that out then you have a different show.

6. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    A better one? I can live with that.

ETA: (Actually, I was just being snarky. I don't think it would be a different show at all without the serialized format. In fact, I once watched a reedited "The Curse of the Fenric" and it still felt very much like Doctor Who.)

7. VDCNI

I just meant the 60's era to be honest. You could probably cut down 80's Who in Fenric style and it would work for the most part. The 60's show works best at the pace that the serialized format gives it.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

The trouble with editing it all together is that you always lose the cliffhangers, and though a lot of em are rubbish some are very good.

Plus in this era of not enough hours in the day there's something quite handy about a TV show I can watch in bite sized chunks :lol:

9. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Yes.

Agreed. :bolian:

Colourisation would add nothing worthwhile to classic Who.

10. starsuperion

Ted Turner would disagree..:guffaw:

11. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Ah,the thrill of a 25-minute "hit" of Doctor Who. I remember it fondly...

12. starsuperion

actually I think that some of the charm was the fact that you could take a half hour of Doctor who in, and then go back to work, with anticipation for the next day's lunch hour..:techman:

much of the magic lost on the classic who was the colours depicting the 60's mauve era..psychadelics and such that were in some episodes.. would the impact of the classic star trek have been such had it been in black and white only?? what about the zaniness of the classic lost in space.. originally it too was in black and white, and yet, the colourised version is what most people purchase on DVD..

all I am saying is to give those of us who prefer colourised episodes the option, to not at least have the option is pretty horrible.. let the fans decide which version they prefer..

if the few colourised episodes don't sell very well, then don't do more, and then at least it was tried.. but to not even allow 1 release in colour is just closed minded, and tyrannical in action by the BBC..

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Tyrannnical action by the BBC?

Free the Colourised 2!! :)

I think what this would come down to is an issue of cost effectiveness. Considering they won't even produce any more animated recreations of lost episodes, I can't see them spending money colourising ones they can just as easily sell as they are.

And TOS is a poor comparison. Star Trek was filmed in colour, Who was not, and whilst many of the sets/cosumes were coloured (see Zoe's catsuit for further details) many of them were actually just varying shades of grey because the show was designed to be filmed in B&W.

I think another interesting point is that in many cases whoever did this would in effect be imposing their own colour pallate onto the show. Take Zoe's catsuit (I'm not obsessed!) It's actually purple, but would the producers have made it purple if the show was intended in colour? Or was it chosen because it looked good in black and white, or just because it was the only colour available. So do you colour it purple (which may or may not have been the original intent) or do you make a choice based on what colour you think it should be?

14. starsuperion

starkers, I have the same avater you have, only I blew up the rear..hehehehe..:devil:
    [​IMG]

sigh... Zoe.. the original Ghetto Booty..

okay so Peri has the record for frontals, but I mean sheesh! Zoe has a big heart! Valentines day can't come sooner..
    [​IMG]

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

ghetto booty?

16. VDCNI

What nonsense - why should there be an option for something that never existed.

I've heard the BBC be criticised for a lot of things but for not colourising B&W TV must be the most absurd.

Where are these fans who desperately want to see it in colour!? If you can't cope with watching it in B&W, stop watching 60's Who.

17. starsuperion

wow...I mean, just wow.. that shut me up..:rofl:

ummm.. yeah nonsense??..that is why black and white TV has colourising as an industry.. cause no one wants it..you are so right :techman:..

that's an easy argument to make isn't it..

like I have statistics or something laying around...where is your proof that no one in this entire world except I, want colourised Doctor Who from the 60's??

if we followed that logic, the world would be a pretty dull place..

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Imagine the actors you could use if you Colorized Classic Who. Morgan Freeman as the Doctor, Gabrielle Union as Barbara... ;)

19. starsuperion

it's an urban American term type thing..

this picture is labeled Ghetto Booty.. I thought it was an appropriate term, given Zoe's apparent exceptional anatomy..

[​IMG]

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Her bottom seems in proportion to me :)