Captain America movie rumor. And the role has been offered to...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SalvorHardin, Sep 8, 2008.

1. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Will Smith :wtf:
    Just a rumor but still...

from Dark Horizons http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080908r.php

2. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

That's a pretty out-there rumour (both in terms of content and source).

3. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

I love with Will Smith but he's not Cap. Mark Valley, Brad Pitt, or Matt Damon. Either of those could do it.

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

If true, they've lost a ticket sale from me.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'll be the first to say it.

Captain America's NOT black. :mad:

6. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

I agree. It's not realistic even for a comic book. The American Government and America in general was horribly racist in the 40's and there is no way they would pick a black guy for Project Rebirth.

7. jep316

jep316 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You know there's no good way I can say this without it coming off bad..and I hope everyone knows where I'm coming from...but Captain America has to be white..based solo on the origin story of the character being a symbol for WW2 America.

Now if he's going to be a modern version then it really doesn't matter..but it's been reported that the story will be set in WW2 and then later in modern times for the Avengers movie.

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting. But it's difficult to see how that jibes with the story starting in the 1940s. Having a patriotic black superhero dealing with the racism of the time is an intriguing notion, and could make an excellent movie, but it's not the Cap story. And not starting the overall story in the 40s really deprives the character of a lot of what makes the story work.

They'd have to change it beyond all recognition so the better approach would be to give the role to a very good white actor who can handle a role that requires growth and nuance - I'm still thinking Timothy Olyphant is the closest to being right. There are many superhero characters that could have color-blind casting but Cap is one of the few who can't.

Dumb approach. Better: just accept that only Americans are going to "get" the Captain America story, and depend on slam-bang action and glitzy SFX to sell it overseas. There have been any number of brainless action flicks that have done great box office globally so a movie doesn't even have to have a point in order to succeed. Captain America has a point, and that shouldn't be held against it! Why not have an action flick that has brains, but only a small part of the audience understands the point? The rest will get what they want anyway and the story doesn't have to be eviscerated for those of us who can appreciate it.
    But you could invent a new character for this scenario, something along the line of the Tuskegee Airmen, an experiment to prove the racism of the military is a lie (with Eleanor Roosevelt in charge :D). Good story, very different from Captain America's story, so we're talking about two different movies.

9. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

well, there was that Cap LS, Red White and Black which revealed Rebirth was trialed on black soldiers, largely unsuccessfully...

10. Temis the Vorta

Captain America spinoff movie or even a franchise in its own right!

But we still need to do Captain America's story first.

11. I call bullshit on this.

If it were true, I don't know. I'm not the biggest Will Smith fan, but he seems to be making an effort to try out interesting scripts, I am Legend and Hancock. I thought both were good if flawed (actually they both had fantastic first halfs and lame second halfs but i digress). I'd hope that would mean the script is trying something good. I dunno.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see Will Smith doing this. He did Hancock, I think, cause he wanted to do a superhero/comic book themed movie his way with his identity. Not become another identity.

I say fake

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Paul Walker has decent range when the script is good (check out Running Scared, as opposed to 4 Fast 4 Furious).

14. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

No, Paul Walker sucks.

15. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Brad Pitt is too old.

16. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Most of those picks are too old. Cap is 25 tops at the start of his career.

17. Hicks

Hicks Captain Captain

Well, if they can re-tool the origin story to fit with, say, the Cold War arms race instead of WWII, I can see it.

Normally I'm against changing the race of an icon, but frankly I've typically found CA to be boring and would welcome the change in this instance.

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd say the actor can be 25 but Steve Rogers was an Army cast off wasn't he? He was seen as too frail to join but was offered a chance to serve his country as a test subject. I'd say for the era Rogers was age 17/18 and frozen as Cap about age 22/23 tops.

19. Temis the Vorta

Even with a 1950s scenario you'd still have to address the racism issue.

Still can't think of any actor in his mid 20s or younger able to pull off the role. Patrick Wilson maybe - he looks a lot younger than his actual age.

20. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Jesus.
    God save me from children.

Dick Purcell was 36 when he played Captain America.
    Bill Bixby was 45 when he started playing D. Bruce Banner.
    George Reeves was almost 40 when he first played Superman. Of course, back then adults played these roles, not little boys.

Captain America needs a certain maturity. He's not Spiderman or the Human Torch or Robin.