So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my review of Kirsten Beyer's Protectors. (Or should I say "New York Times Bestselling Author Kirsten Beyer"?)

Currently reading The Lost Era: Serpents Among the Ruins by David R. George III, as well as a very interesting novel: Hominids by Robert J. Sawyer.

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm Reading Digital shield by Dan Brown.I can't wait to read Greg Cox's new Star trek novel coming out in a few weeks.

3. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

It's February, so I'm reading this year's Baseball Prospectus annual volume. Only now I'm finally saving shelf space (and the annoyance of dealing with last year's volume when this year's volume rolls around) by getting it in eBook form.......

4. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sorry, double posted and did not know how to delete first message.

5. Endgame

I went to the reading list at www.thetrekcollective.com or whatever the correct site is and noticed how few of the recent books that I have read. A disappointment but also meaning many good books in the future.

I finished reading "The Mind Parasites" by Colin Wilson (1967, 2005) which was a good read and then took a Christian book break and read "Spirituality for the Rest of Us" by Larry Osborne (2007).

Now, I just finished Chapter 1 from "Vulcan's Glory" by D. C. Fontana (1989, ST-TOS #44) which looks to be an older but better read. Look forward to more up-to-date books soon.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  6. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Ahem:

New York Times Bestselling Author Kirsten Mother Fucking Beyer.

Get it right. ;)

7. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whoa.. Protectors is #19 in MMPB.

8. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My mistake! :D

9. Endgame

Thanks "Thrawn" for the flowchart. Shall make use of it more and more. I am media unaware. Do not know who "Kirsten Beyer" is let alone how to pronounce that last name. I guess it rhymes with Meyer. Shall have to do a Google search. I suppose if you have a problem with the name, you sing "I'm a Kirsten Beyer wiener." But surely that would be juvenile. And I must surely be foolish before looking at who this person appears to be from a simple google prompt.

10. Endgame

Another double post. Sorry. Did search. See that Kirsten Beyer has authored 8 or 9 Trek novels. I have bought about the first 20 or so VGR novels but have yet to start reading the series. Maybe soon. Must use flowchart...

11. Roddenberry

Roddenberry Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Trek To Madworld

12. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Just finished Typhon Pact: Rough Beasts of Empire. Quite good. A few quibbles about a lot of stuff happening "off-screen" as it were. Not a fan of the direction it takes Sisko in, though I do understand it and think it makes for an interesting story point. I will say that it the end of the "Two-State" Problem does feel a little... quick. Overall though, very good.

I'm currently stalled about 1/3 of the way through Nick Harkaway's Doctor Who novella, Time Trips: Keeping Up with the Joneses. It's not badly written, but the Tenth Doctor it depicts feels like a caricature, too over the top - even for Ten! - and perhaps too twee.

Anyway, now onto to Typhon Pact: Paths of Disharmony

13. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

Last week I finished The Kane Chronicles, Book One: The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan.

I then read The Walking Dead, Volume 3: Safety Behind Bars.

I'm currently reading and almost finished with Star Trek: The Fall: Peaceable Kingdoms.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I decided I was in a comic book mood, so I started Saga Volume 1.

15. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I'm reading the DS9 novel "Warped" by what looks like K.W. Jeter, but may be H.W. Jeter, the cover shot on the Kindle is a little fuzzy and the font is weird. I'm not familiar with this author, will have to do a little research when I finish it.

I've been on a TrekLit kick for the last year or so and it doesn't seem like it's gonna end any time soon. After catching up on most of the recent novels I decided to go back to reading older 'episodic' novels. I like the one-shot, action-oriented story lines for casual reading. I like this novel a lot so far, it seems a little deeper thematically and in terms of character presentation than a lot of the episodic novels. This author does have a penchant for the technobabble, which is probably really entertaining for some, but for me it's distracting. That's the only complaint I have though, I'm looking forward to the rest of the book.

16. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

17. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Thanks for the heads up!

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up Saga Vol.1 last night. I posted my thoughts here.

20. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I appreciate the link, but I am pretty capable of doing my own Google- and Wiki-ing.

Thanks for clearing up the fuzzy-font thing also, I was getting ready to head off to work, and faced with the choice of finishing the post or looking it up.

I think the novel is interesting enough that I don't want to learn about the author until I'm done. They chose to go 'K.W.' for a reason, one of the effects is that I can't identify the author by gender without a little effort. So I think the author intended for me to think about the story presented without considering if it were written by a man or a woman. If I don't even want that biographic detail, I don't want more either. Yet!