Mark Lenard & Trek Fandom

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Steve67, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Steve67

Steve67 Commander Red Shirt

Mark Lenard fascinates me. I've been watching his numerous TV appearances in Mission: Impossible, Hawaii Five-O, and The Wild, Wild West and of course, as Sarek. How was he viewed by Trek fandom and how did he feel about the interest shown towards the show and his character? He seems to have been as icy and mysterious as the characters he often played. So, your thoughts on Mark Lenard, please.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  2. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think he was one of the better guest actors they've had on the show, both in TOS, TNG, and Star Trek movies. I don't recall ever hearing about him having attended a convention, so I suspect he didn't express much interest.

He passed away in 1996... and his Wikipedia entry highlights his role as Sarek over all his other acting work. His last two appearances on screen were "In The Heat of the Night" in 1993 and Star Trek IV in 1991.

3. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    He was definitely a quality actor. I saw him on 'It Takes a Thief' recently, in two episodes playing two different characters, not unlike his turns on TOS.

I imagine he was just a private person. I think the 'Star Trek: Communicator' did a writeup about him at the time of his death and went into his life and family. I'm sure I have that issue laying around somewhere.

4. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He also was in another 1960s show - Here Come the Brides. What can I say, I was 10. Anyway there were two accredited teen heart-throbs on that show (Bobby Sherman and David Soul), but personally I had a crush on Mark Lenard's character, Aaron Stempel, even though he was supposed to be sort of a bad guy. I remember recognizing him from Trek (as the unnamed Romulan), of course.

I was either a very weird girl or maybe I just had sophisticated taste? Or both.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  5. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

A number of female fans I've known think Sarek is as hot as Spock; that's probably why he got his own novel. I thought he was very dignified, but still liked Spock better as a romantic figure.

6. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Oh, yes, but Spock wasn't on Here Come the Brides, you see...

Like Praetor, I just got the feeling he was a private person. And a convention is no place for a really private man.

7. Steve67

Steve67 Commander Red Shirt

That SAREK novel was one of the reasons I got back into Trek. I remember seeing it around 1996-97 and Mark Lenard had died around that same time. Seeing the novel reminded me how much I liked his character, although it was only recently that I bought the book!

8. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

According to a Chicago Independent Booksellers poll of about 10 years ago, 80% of book buyers are women.

9. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A friend of mine once told me he had attended a con where Mark Lenard was a guest.

10. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

11. Ward Fowler

Ward Fowler Commodore Commodore

Sarek is a fantastic Trek novel.

12. Navigator_NCC2120

Navigator_NCC2120 Captain Captain

In the Fall of 1974 I enjoyed his portrayal of the antagonist gorilla General Urko in the short lived TV Series "Planet of the Apes", which was very different from his roles as Sarek or the Romulan Commander on Star Trek. It was strange to see him briefly a few years later in the Woody Allen film "Annie Hall" in 1977. He had no lines he was there on the Dick Cavett Show dressed in a Naval Officer uniform as Woody Allen's character walked on stage. Then only to see him briefly again in 1979 in TMP as the Klingon Commander.

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
    /\

13. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except in the Trek novel Ishmael, where Spock is stranded in the 19th century while suffering from amnesia as a result of Klingon interrogation, and is taken in by one Aaron Stemple...

14. WendellM

WendellM Commodore Commodore

My impression at Dixie Trek in the '80s in Atlanta was that he was a gracious and informative guest who gave an interesting presentation. It's true that he wasn't ingratiating or fawning, but I'd say "dignified" rather than "icy." A classy man. He was polite and - I'd even venture - friendly at his autograph signing afterward:

[​IMG]

15. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

**raises hand**

Oh man... :drool:

16. Iowagirl

Iowagirl Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love Lenard as Sarek. For me, he'll always be the ultimate Vulcan (along with Spock, of course, but Spock is a class of his own). When Sarek deboards his shuttle in "Journey to Babel" it's as if Vulcan itself arrives. Ya know what I mean?

OTOH, I've always admired his subtle performance when he urges Kirk to recover his son's Katra in STIII. The way he fights back his "emotions" with effort, and his almost reluctant, yet sincere respect for Kirk when he returns Spock to Vulcan

Oh, and fine interaction between Lenard and Shatner.

Fascinating! :vulcan:

17. Outpost4

Outpost4 Vice Admiral Admiral

18. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, Shatner's scenes with Lenard were always quality. The OTT Shatner and the reserved Lenard worked well together counterpointing each other.

19. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Mark Lenard was a true talent and really solidified the role as Sarek. He made it is even after playing the part of the Romulan Commander in Ballance of Terror.

But let's not forget his wonderful portrayal of the doomed Klingon Captain in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. It took me years, YEARS to finally discover that was actually Mark Lenard playing the part! He looked so perfect as a Klingon that even now I still can't recognize him.

I'd give anything to see his make-up process or any behind the scenes photos of him as the Klingon Captain.

20. Tan Ru

Tan Ru Captain Captain

Lenard and Nimoy more or less "created" Vulcans in TOS and even onto the spin-offs & films. What's not to love and appreciate about Lenard? He is sorely missed.