Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

If you are referring to the floor grate that GR is standing on, then it was there from the beginning, per this screencap.

2. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

No no...I'm referring to the raised floor all the way to the right of the set, as seen in this TNG screencap....

It was not present in TMP, but looks to have been added post-TMP, as seen in The Cage Intro screencap I've already referenced.....

3. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think that bit was raised, more that the greebles were stripped off the rest of the floor, effectively lowering the level (back to the level of the corridor outside)

4. Donny

I don't think so. You'll see that the "raised" portion I'm talking about meets the diagonal wall to the right of the transport chamber a little higher than it does on the diagonal wall to the left of the chamber (By "diagonal walls", I mean the ones that meet the transport chamber at an angle, and both have the 4 square panels on them in TMP-TSFS, and are lit panels by TNG). It meets this right-side diagonal wall in the same spot as it does in the TNG screen cap...

5. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ahh I gotcha. Maybe a TWOK addition to facilitate Kirk, Spock and Saavik leaving by door number 2?

6. Donny

Exactly. But by TWOK, "door number 2" had been changed to more of an opening, extending all the way to the diagonal wall with the 4 square panels, much like it is seen in TNG and TUC.

Once I render out this section of the wall, I will be able to better illustrate these differences in the set I've observed.

7. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looking forward to seeing that keep up the great work :)

8. Donny

Proof I'm still working...;)

It's coming together. You'll notice the lighting is very TWOK-grey/blue instead of the TMP-purple. Obviously not finished, as the floor grating is still a solid slab of metal and the floor greebles have yet to be modeled...
    [​IMG]

9. Donny

...and the finished floor grating and tiled greebly panel...
    [​IMG]

10. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like you kept the no-smoking sign, too. :techman:

11. Donny

...and the completed transporter console...
    [​IMG]

12. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Truly stunning. Fantastic modeling and your textures are amazing. :techman:

13. Donny

It is evident in TMP that the transporter room control booth has some sort of overhead monitors or display panels. Both Kirk and the unnamed crewman look up towards the ceiling at times during the transporter scenes. As far as I know, there are no photographs in existence of these overhead monitors, but there is some sort of overhead structure which would seem to contain these displays. See the screenshots below:

Crewman is looking at something....maybe a cockroach is on the ceiling? ;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this shot, adjusted for brightness and contrast, you see Kirk is looking at the overhead structure above the transporter console:
    [​IMG]

And in this shot, we can make out the shape of the structure:
    [​IMG]

I have attempted to create this structure, and filled it with various displays. The two oval "video screens" are obviously reuses of some of the screens seen around my Main Bridge build, and the middle flat panel contains graphics seen in this Lee Cole Phase II panel. This is a best guess, and I have no evidence to back up what would be on these displays. What do you think?

[​IMG]

Also, using the two below screencaps from TMP, I was able to deduce that the display panels to the right of the main console are indeed unused Lee Cole Panels (seen here and here) from the Phase II engineering set. I had to guess on colors and animations (and also change the panels' text to reflect a "transporter" display rather than an "engineering display"), but I think they fit nicely:

Is Rand yawning??
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  14. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I think that's her shouting "TAKE THEM BACK, STARFLEET!"

That's some really good detective work and theorizing, Donny. I never noticed that they were looking too far up for them to be focused on the transporter pad.

15. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Ooo. That's some awesome reasoning and clever detective work. I never got that far in the control chamber, but I love that you found the source of those visible displays.

As to the overhead monitors and displays: Speculative or not, I'm all for a little artistic license, especially if it doesn't outright conflict with anything. Though we never saw the graphics, but it's clear there is something there. I love your use of the larger round monitors given the suggestive framework and your use of the Lee Cole graphics from the intended bridge transporter station. Makes perfect sense. :)

16. trekriffic

trekriffic Commander Red Shirt

Yep. That pretty much sums up how I feel too. :bolian::bolian::bolian:

17. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is a lovely rendition of a not particularly lovely set. Amazing that the same design crew that turned the TOS shuttle deck, engineering, and bridge into open, sweeping, amazing areas turned the transporter room into an unlit little box.

18. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

There were many aspects of the TMP "refit" transporter room that seemed conspicuously illogical, especially after TNG launched and flourished several years later.

I can never got over those funny circular display screens, which always looked funny.

Great job filling in the blanks, Donny.

19. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

You can thank Harold Michelson for that particular design.

"We changed the transporter room completely. Now it looks unlike any other room on the Enterprise. It's as if you are inside machinery. We put the girl [Chief Rand] who runs the transporter inside a glass control station. The implication is that there are radiations in that space that could become dangerous with repeated exposures; like the operator in an X-ray room. This also gave us an excuse to do some really interesting shots of reflections in that glass. At one point, I wanted us to see the beaming effect - people disappearing - reflected in the glass."
    - Starlog magazine, January 1980

20. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If that was his intention then I think we can call it a success! I suppose he also wanted each space on the ship to have its own distinct visual style.

As for overhead monitors in the Transporter Booth, that's a fantastic find!