Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ZeNd, Jan 21, 2013.

1. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

Did we agree on something?:wtf:

:lol:

2. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh no...is bad taste catching?

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We've been agreeing a lot lately. This is strange. :p

4. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Garak put her in her place... :eek:

saaaaaaaaaaLAP!!! :lol:

5. KaraBear

KaraBear Captain Captain

Jadzia was prepared to deal with being joined and everything that comes with it, she chose that path and spent her whole life training for it. Ezri had no training, didn't know what to expect, and just had this slug shoved into her. It's amazing she didn't go crazy trying to sort out all the memories

mlbach and Lous like this.
  6. Yanks

As for Ezri. I intially HATED her. I was very fond of Jadzia, I was pissed they schwacked her, I was pissed that frellin Dukat schwacked her, and that rage went right to Ezri.

As Archer says, "Time heals all wounds, but absence makes the heart grow fonder. I guess it's a little tricky. Emotions have a way of contradicting themselves."

So I don't harbor such ill feelings for her anymore. I actually think Nicole is quite a talented actress.

Love her eyes...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  7. Yanks

True, but that does not negate the epic Garakness of that line.

8. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked Jadzia and was sorry to see her replaced by Ezri who never actually grew on me as a character. But I never actually found her annoying. (BTW, I loved Nicole in Dead Zone.)

I found Nog really annoying at first but as the character matured and found his own way that changed.

Rom, on the other hand, never seemed to change even as he bounced from bar lackey to engineer to Nagus.

Leeta had her annoying moments, especially in pout mode, but she did have her positive "attributes" as well.

Yanks likes this.
  9. crazyfingers

crazyfingers Cadet Newbie

So does anyone know why they killed off Jadzia Dax in the first place? Did the actress want off? Was it management? I thought she was a great character.

Maybe it's been explained but I've done some forum searches and can't find that answer.

10. Yanks

Terry decided to leave. She went to be a part of Becker.

11. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Terry Farrell was offered a contract renewal that gave a pittance of a salary increase. Thereafter, negotiations stalled until Rick Berman was entrenched and Terry Farrell was resigned to leaving the show. There are some rumors that Behr pushed at the last minute to keep Farrell, but Berman wouldn't budge.

mlbach likes this.
  12. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd guess she wanted the security of a long term contract while her stock was high as opposed to a one year extension. She didn't do much after Becker though.

13. David.Blue

David.Blue Commander Red Shirt

I liked Ezri. Would have been just as well if she didn't have the Dax symbiont but the writers handled it pretty well.

Honestly, while I liked Jadzia, the character never quite came alive for me. She was fun, and clever, but she didn't really have an arc nor much of a context. When DS9 began, I adored what looked like an interesting dynamic beginning--a wise old man, a "Merlin" if you will, within an attractive young woman. But she never fulfilled that role, not really. Nor did she really "do" much other than her job--at least until she started hooking up with Worf. I liked that storyline very much.

That Garak put Ezri down was a great bit of drama, though. It only worked because Ezri was indeed a real character, someone with those kinds of fears.

14. FreedPhotons

FreedPhotons Ensign Red Shirt

I really liked Jadzia, and was not only sorry to see her die but just COULDN'T STAND Ezri Dax. The "i'm bubbly and innocent and sweet and cute but deep inside I hurt" act go so old, so fast. As far as I'm concerned she's the ultimate Mary-Sue.

She's one of the reasons I hated season 7 (and season 7 is one of the reasons I don't have that much respect for DS9 anymore).

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

What do those things have to do with being a Mary Sue? The term seems to be thrown around now as lazy shorthand for complaining about any female character.

QuantumMechanic likes this.
  16. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ezri would do ... in a pinch! After all, under the darkest cover of night, a cottonseed is the same as a pearle, is it not?

17. FreedPhotons

FreedPhotons Ensign Red Shirt

Really? As far as I know, she falls into just about every Marye-Sue cliché I know.

> Beautiful: check
    > Quarky and cutely clumsy (which offsets her beauty and makes her just *adorable*): check
    > Beloved by everyone instantly: check
    > Has one of the main characters fall in love with her instantly: check
    > Has a "dark" / "sad" past that she tries to keep secret but which is finally found out and supported by all other characters: check
    > Wants to be "normal" but has an incredible future thrust upon her: check (here: being unexpectedly joined)
    > Rule-bending uniqueness: check (Trills are supposed to train for life to have a Symbiont but she doesn't!)
    > Action-stealer: check (she appears out of nowhere in season 7 and suddenly every other episode features her very prominently in action scenes even though she's just supposed to be a counselor)

> etc...

Honestly at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the writers' daughter's name was Ezri... It doesn't matter that some of these are somehow justified by her being Trill - she didn't have to be this way because she's a made-up character: Jadzia was a Trill too and she wasn't like that, so all these Mary-Sue characteristics are unique to Ezri.

QuantumMechanic likes this.
  18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, it's become about as meaningless as "jumping the shark" or "politically correct."

19. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

One of the requirements of being a Mary Sue is to be talented at everything. Ezri had some skill transfer from Dax but she wasn't portrayed as more than merely competent. And she wasn't hurt deep down, she was hurt right on the surface.

Honestly Jadzia exhibits more 'Mary Sue' characteristics than Ezri. She's the one with a zillion fields of expertise.

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Surely she was less Quarky than Armin Shimerman though?

Seriously though, you're reaching way too hard to try and make her fit a mold. A Mary Sue is a wish-fulfillment character, not just any female that possesses positive attributes. Heaven forbid a TV character be beautiful, have relationships, and a past!

As Jirin mentioned, Jadzia has way more in common with a Mary Sue, and even she still doesn't count as one. Not even close.