DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Batgirl reads like typical Simone to me. Though with a little less sex and violence than say Secret Six or even Birds of Prey. I think the folks complaining might be projecting a little.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

There could be some major New 52 announcements this weekend. The DC panels should be lively ones now compared to the SDCC panels now that most of the books will be in their second issues.

Batman and Robin was pretty good. An improvement over the first issue. I like the fact that Bruce is struggling to be a good father to Damian and sees his potential and is worried about the potential corruption of his goodness from Talia's indoctrination and conditioning, but it kind of has taken away a bit from the work Grayson did with him. I am loving Batwoman right now. Green Lantern is okay...probably will end up dropping it though. Mysasichev, I don't know what is happening to me...I'm not liking Geoff Johns! It's like I've stepped through some kind of funky portal and entered into a world where he is a bad writer!!! I can't explain it

3. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's like that Red Dwarf special that everybody hates. You know, the one where they come to the real world. :p

The more I think about Aquaman the more I dislike it. It's so desperate, almost fan-fictiony in how it addresses the meta-commentary. You know why Aquaman's not cool? His writer cares whether he's cool.

Sinestro Corps War was still the shit, tho.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Batgirl is very generic so far. I really don't like how Babs went from this empowering figure and this leader of a squad and the Justice League's information source to just another girl in a costume. Really feels like a huge step down for the character's importance. I'm only reading it to find out how she can walk again then I'll probably stop :p

I really like Green Lantern as always. Hal and Sinestro teaming up against the Sinestro Corps?! Awesome!

5. Admiral_Young

Except they aren't really teaming up. Sinestro is forcing Hal to work for him, not the same thing as teaming up. That would be cooler. I agree with you about Batgirl. If you've read Batman, Incorporated or Bruce Wayne: The Road Home there are clues as to how she can walk again. My guess is advanced Wayne nanotech of some kind.

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I like how they are carrying on this "Hal isn't very bright" thing from JLA - he really thought that ring would work against Sinestro?

7. Admiral_Young

8. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the #2 issue of GL was actually pretty good. It really served to show the differences in how Sinestro and Hal operates as GLs and as individuals.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I kind of liked GL #2. Although it pains me that Johns writes Sinestro so well, but can't write Hal for the life of him. His Hal varies between coming off as insanely dull or a caricature of a Han Solo type. Nowhere in there is there room for an actual 3-dimensional character. But it has good action, so it gets a pass, I suppose.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

She's staying on Batgirl.

12. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ann Nocenti will be taking over GREEN ARROW with issue #7!

link

13. Nerys Myk

Might have to pass on GA then. One the worst writers in the business.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Haven't read the second Batgirl yet, but I thought the suggestion was this was a slightly different timeline, and in this one she had only been temporarily paralyzed by the shooting.

That's at least how I interpreted it.

15. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

That seems to match Batgirl #2 as well... but then... I was pretty bored and have stopped caring about that comic...

16. Nerys Myk

From my reading she was paralyzed and it looked to be permanent, but somehow she recovered. Her recovery is a recent event and the result her body reparing the damage through natural means, not comic book techno-mumbo-jumbo.

17. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The implication I got from Batgirl #2 was that Barbara doesn't know exactly why she she's walking. The fact that they've teased it twice says we'll eventually get the answer.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

In other comic news, not related to DC's "New 52."

I picked up "Ghostbusters #2" today as well as TMNT 1 and 2, both comics from IDW. GB#2 was pretty good, I think it's a comic series that's more or less going to work.

And the two new TMNT books were pretty good too!

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    I agree on the reimagined TMNT from IDW. I've enjoyed them both so far. Not a fan of the art on Ghostbusters though but I did get a kick out of who Ray's ghostly spirit guide looks like!! That is WIN!!

20. Admiral_Young

Why are you guys posting about non New 52 comics? That isn't what this thread is for, and Trekker started his own thread regarding the ongoing Ghostbusters comic.