Self-Portrait as a Cardassian

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Nerys Ghemor, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I really wasn't expecting this last night and today...but it's something I've wanted to try drawing for MANY years and finally accomplished: a self-portrait in the form of a Cardassian.

The outfit is a cross between one that a young Iliana Ghemor was seen wearing in "Second Skin," and the ones worn by Natima Lang and Releken in "Profit and Loss," along with some of my own design ideas. As for the hair, I decided not to go with the geisha-like do's Cardassian women are most commonly depicted with--I opted for the braids instead since that's something I might actually be tempted to do with my hair if it were straight.

[​IMG]

PLEASE visit this link for full-view (click the pic once you're on the page): http://www.sheezyart.com/view/1878511/

I have to tell you, this is a really weird one for me to see!

One thing I also began to notice as I drew this was the strong Art Deco influence on my style and approach--especially when it comes to the way I handle the shading and blending. While I recognize it isn't the most realistic style, there's something about the aesthetics I really like. (It also happens that, in my personal view, Cardassian architecture and fashion, as depicted on Deep Space Nine, reminds me of a sort of "dark Deco"...I honestly don't understand why so many of the DS9 characters react to it like it's ugly.)

2. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice job. :) I wish I could draw like that. :)

3. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Do you have a picture for comparison?

The one thing that stands out for me is the spoon looks a bit off, less refined than the rest of the face, and possibly a bit too big.

4. Nerys Ghemor

Thanks for looking, guys! :)

Santaman--I find most people tend to sell their own potential short, when it comes to their drawing skills. Give it a shot...you'll probably do better than you thought. :)

Venardhi--Not planning on posting my real pic online, sorry. I just don't do that...not here or anywhere.

As for the "spoon," I did decide to be a little less delicate with it. The width takes its cue from the roundish shape of my face. The prominence...well, I decided to make that and the eye-ridges more prominent based on something you might find amusing: in real life, I refuse to tweeze my eyebrows like most of the people where I live (which I find creepy--it makes all the women around here look like clones), so while they're not bushy or anything, they're a bit more prominent than most of the locals...but ya know what? I am pleased with the way I look. I took the same attitude here in the drawing--not being really delicate with the ridges...and I am still, overall, pleased with the result even if it's not perfect.

Honestly, I don't mean for this to sound like arguing. I can see why you felt that way. I just thought I'd explain what was running through my mind as I drew.

5. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know, this might be a good idea for the monthly art contest.

6. Nerys Ghemor

IF this became the contest, would this piece be eligible?

7. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

No, entries have to be done specifically for the contest.

8. EmperorKalan

EmperorKalan Commander Red Shirt

I noticed the size too.

"Do big spoons run in your family?"

9. ThomastheCat

ThomastheCat Captain Captain

10. Nerys Ghemor

11. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I'll say it again, Nerys, since you linked here from "That's Me" - this is really nice work. :)

12. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

Interesting.

Iliana Ghemor of the A.Q. Alliance vessel, Kenya. Starfleet's first Cardassian-involved Officer Exchange in 2382 during the onset of The Andak (Agricultural) Project. The Detapa Council demanded the participation of Ghemor as the Kenya's First Officer after releasing Thomas Riker from Lazon II as part of influence-bartering that produced The Gamma Quadrant Peaceful Exploration Treaty which curtly ended The Dominion War.

13. Nerys Ghemor

Thank you very much for looking! :)

Curious: where did you get that bio? Is that from Star Trek: Online?

14. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

Nope. Just thought it up as an idea for a future fic. (Either your's or mine.) The Andak Project is definately Star Trek Online, but the rest is part of my own alternate Shatnerverse (Post-Nem) fic universe. The Kenya is a Loknar-Class upgrade in the TNG relaunch era.

http://www.angelfire.com/pe/Relentless50/OsirisClass.html

15. Nerys Ghemor

Ahh, I see.

I've actually cast myself into a different fic of mine, though. It's one I haven't really written much on yet, and it's barely above a cameo role...but "my" name in that drawing would actually be Instructor Setal Teron. "Instructor" is the title for a schoolteacher. (You'll notice that title is carried with pride--schoolteachers get a lot more respect in Cardassian society than they do in American society.)

The story...is actually a romance. (Though I intend it to be largely family-friendly.) Instructor Teron's just a side character, though--friend to one of the main characters.

16. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

Interesting. I'd love to see Setal as a First Officer in the TNG Relaunch era.

She looks like the kind of commander that would work well in an idealistic Kathrine Janeway-meets-Emelia Earhart type fashion. Assigned to a Federation ship, opposite a Starfleet Officer of your choice.

Trying to protect Cardassia from the bluegill parasites from TNG's "Conspiracy" that have decided to try to resurrect their plans against The U.F.P. by stoking bubbling hot-zones of old TMP/Lost Years-era animosities.

They're trying to quietly set-off multiple smaller emotional / psychological / financial strikes from Bajor to the Klingon Empire to the Cardassian Union to the Tholian Assembly and even by manipulating Ferenginar's adjustment period toward gender equality.

The purpose: to keep everyone running / guessing where the next riot or blood oath will decide a sector or planet's fate, until its too little too late to do anything about the bluegill parasites' officially intended death-strike.

17. Nerys Ghemor

Sounds noble, and I can see where you're trying to make the character more glorious by human standards...but to a Cardassian view (and my own), what she really does is noble in its own right.

Children are Cardassia's future, after all--and those who teach them are entrusted with a HUGE responsibility, and are honored for it.

18. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    That's what I love about the Cardassians, public service is seen as a great good and is honored as such. In the West if it isn't turning a profit then it isn't worthwhile. (this Point of View is probably less in favour now).

Indeed, I think that the whole nature of the State is treated a lot more positively by Cardassians of all strips even the dissident movement. The Cardassian people will willingly serve the state if the state serves them, I envision it as more of a symbiotic relationship.

19. Nerys Ghemor

You hit the nail on the head when it comes to Cardassians and the state! I think that if you strip away the abuses and cruelties, what would be left is very worthwhile.

20. hellsgate

hellsgate Commodore

I was thinking of Rachel Garrett of the Enterprise-C when I was thinking of your Setal Teron character earlier. That's who I was trying to compare her against.