The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh, not necessarily - I can see how if you need to recreate part of it as CGI anyways it might be easier to recreate the whole shot rather than just the BOP plate.

2. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

^^^And as unlikely as it seems, that shot was one of the stock shots we haven't seen the original as of yet in TNG-HD. It could also be that stock shot is missing.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well wasn't a lot of the detail on the 6-footer simply drawn in (or am I thinking of a different model)? I thought that was another reason for the more detailed 4-footer, because the original model just didn't film well up close.

As awesome as those HD shots of the 6-footer are, it IS a lot more apparent than before that we're looking at a model. And I imagine that was only more apparent in the close up shots.

4. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Took that into account and disagree. The Ent is a separately composable element as usual, the original shot proves that. If it was available they do just the BoP in CG. The mix would be no problem visually either since it's an alien ship.

5. davejames

That is definitely one of the biggest missed opportunties when it comes to TNG. The studio could probably get most of the same audience, tell the same kinds of stories, and have many of the same actors-- all for a LOT cheaper than producing a live action TV series.

It's such a no-brainer I can't believe they haven't done it.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Eureka, that's it!! I bet it has something to do with them not being able to use the movie footage! SO we should keep an eye out for all the stock footage changes.:techman:

RAMA

7. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

They went back to using the 6 footer for the movie Star Trek: Generations and it looked amazing. The reason they switched to the 4 footer was to make filming more dynamic shots on a weekly series that much easier. It's simply a shame that the 4 footer lost the smooth lines of the 6 footer.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I think we'll simply wind up with one more TNG-R thread reviewing the actual product.

9. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

I would join you all in the viewing of Season 1, but I only own season 3 on DVD. This Bluray restoration will be my first foray into owning all of the seasons.

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I've been thinking about formatting...Episode background; Review plus comparison section...if the changes improve the ep; Personal thoughts plus "nostalgia" section for if the episode had any significance, then rating.

RAMA

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I always wondered why. I mean even the AMT ERTL model has the same lines as the 6 footer.

12. davejames

I don't really see the point in having a separate thread. A lot of the discussion about the blu-ray sets is inevitably going to turn into discussion of the episodes themselves.

Especially for people like me who haven't watched the first season in ages and will almost certainly find new things to want to talk about.

13. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

:lol: I think you're overreacting a bit.

16. davejames

17. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

We should also post a schedule to keep everybody roughly in sync. I don’t think a multiple-watcher watch thread would work very well if they’re all at different places in the series.

Besides, watching the eps at the same time as a wide community of Trekkers all over the world will be fun. We haven’t done that since they were first run.

One episode per week roughly matches our best guess of the BD release schedule. It would be just like the good old days. But I doubt we’ll have the patience for it.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The new shot looks great! Look at the details of the hull, the transport emitters, the sensor strip around the captain's yacht, the lifeboat hatches.

The grand lady has never looked better than she does in these HD shots!

It looks more "realistically lit" to me, notice the "far side" of the neck is in shadow. Man, it looks wonderful to me, everything is perfectly lit (including the interconnect of the saucer which should be shrouded in shade) and you can read the name-badge by the hatch/torpedo tube!

(It might be an AR thing, but it does seem the neck is "stouter" in the HD shot.)

19. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Hardly surprising, the kit was produced before there was a four footer! The Playmates toy was based on the chubby four footer though.

20. davejames

Cool, can't wait for the whole week devoted to Code of Honor. That should be fun. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.