What games are you playing currently?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by charlhussey, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Heard a lot of good things about this though wondering if I should get on the PC since FPS games tend to suffer with the controller IMO (Halo among one of the few exceptions). Also the fact there is several console games I am getting on PS4/XB1 between now and X Mas and the HDD space worries me...

BRING BACK OFF THE DISC PLAY ffs.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Continuing with "Infamous: Second Son." I finished the story on Wednesday, and now I'm finishing up all the side missions. I wish games like this did a better job of encouraging you to do side missions along the way. There are whole sections of the game map that I'm pretty sure I didn't even step foot in during the story.

I've also accessed the "Paper Trail" online mission. It's played both in-game and on the internet via the inFamous website. It's a little detective story with clues you have to piece together, which is a nice change of pace from just running around and collecting all the leftover blast shards.

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Shovel Knight is awesome.

It makes me want to get an NES emulator and play every crappy NES game I read about in magazines when I was 8 but never played.

Mario Kart 8 needs a way to match you up with stronger players in online play. Playing newbies who can't stay even close enough to me to pass me when I get hit with a blue shell is boring. There are stronger players in tournaments but I can never seem to find the good tournaments when they are just about to start.

4. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Hi, Jax.

Yeah, Wolfenstein is a great game. I enjoyed the gameplay and the story.

Although I can see (and have known) the advantages that a mouse controller tends to bring to FPS games on PC (especially when combined with a Nostromo Key Pad), I really don't have problems with controllers on consoles. I also tend to not play a lot of multiplayer (too many punks, hackers, PKers and griefers out there....and too many kids playing games that they shouldn't, yet.)

As for the games being put directly for play off the HDD as opposed to straight off the disc, well....the upside is that, when you're finished playing a game for a while, just delete it from your hard drive, especially if you have several other games vying for your attention on that console. You can reinstall it later when your interest is piqued once more in that game. :) It is rather nice to be able to play a game with reduced load times, not to mention, not constantly running your disc driver. HDD's are probably a little more robust in that area than the disc driver. :)

I do agree with you largely though, and in addition, I think they should've left the option open for whether or not you want to install a game directly to your hard drive (as was done with PS3 and Xbox 360) instead of making it mandatory on the PS4 and Xbox One. I mean, what if you don't like the game? Then you'll have lost a considerable amount of your time waiting for it to install onto the HDD when you could've been just playing it right off the bat, determining whether or not you like it. If you like it, then install it. If not, pack it up and take it back for a refund or trade in. :)

5. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

A lot of times, when it comes to open world games, I will play some of the main story to build up some experience in the game, and then, just go ahead and start playing the side missions to prolong the gameplay (and the story element). In addition to doing it this way, I build up XP and powers/abilities to take on the later story missions....although sometimes those story missions will ramp up with your own experience so that it doesn't lose the challenge.

Right now, I'm doing this with Watch Dogs. Probably the only downside to a lot of side missions is that, after a while, they really get repetitive. Sadly, it is generally the same with Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Skyrim, and Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

But, ultimately, I am a sucker for open world games. :) I need to get Infamous Second Son, and there's another Infamous game coming out with a chick as the protagonist. Very cool! :)

I like playing third person games that have a chick protagonist. My philosophy: If I have to have a character to look at from behind, she better be a chick, and she better have a cute bum. :)

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I sometimes do that, but sometimes I don't. It really depends on the flow of the game and if the side missions are "on the way" to the next part of the story. But like I said earlier, when I finished the story of Infamous, there were parts of the game map that I had never even used, so it was hard to motivate myself go out of my way to do those side missions.

She is actually a supporting character in Second Son. From what I understand, though, her game is a DLC story. It's standalone, and you don't need to own Second Son to play it, but it's not going to be a full sized game.

7. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I finished the HD remake of Final Fantasy X last night. Man I love that game. And it looks gorgeous. ;)

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The "Infamous Paper Trail" mission is pretty much all I have left for Second Son. It's fun, but it's a little weird.

For those unfamiliar, you basically run around the world gathering evidence from various murder scenes. That evidence is then uploaded to your PSN account. You then have to go onto your computer and put the pieces together by examining the evidence and solving puzzles, which eventually gives you enough information to figure out where next to go in the game.

It's pretty fun, but I wish I wasn't constantly having to go back and forth between my PS4 and my computer, especially since they're in totally different rooms in my house. One of the missions actually involves printing out a pdf of an Origami Dove with broken writing on it and folding it in such a way as to reveal a set of numbers...which would be fun, except I don't own a printer!

9. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Elite: Dangerous standard beta 1.00. Anyone else playing, look out for me and send me a friend request. I am "Zion Ravescene." :)

10. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Finished it yesterday, I think it is everything a South Park fan could want out of a South Park video game :techman: Obsidian are getting a lot of flak for the flaws in their games, but the industry would be worse off without them in terms of mid-tier RPG variety.

Certainly makes up for the many, many disappointing earlier lincensed games.

11. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm playing Stick of Truth right now, and the game is absolutely hilarious. I'm stuck on the "Unfriend Al Gore" mission, which I keep getting my ass kicked on. Other than that, I'm really enjoying the game! I'm super cereal! :lol:

12. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

^ I recommend postponing that particular mission until you've done the abortion clinic. After that, it's completely doable.

Did you find the iPad? That's the only side mission I haven't completed.

13. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually I finally beat him last night on level 9. I basically kept spamming Jimmy's lullaby song for the secret service agents and used the Jew class circum-scythe to break down Al Gore's shields.

I did find the iPad. I kept going to Shelley's room and the door would always slam shut until I realized you have to have Stan equipped as your buddy.

14. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finally finished Supreme Commander 2. Got it in the Steam summer sale last year, but kept getting distracted by newer games so I was only doing two or three levels every few months.

Also back into XCOM to finish the campaign I started when the expansion came out.

Apart from that just played a bit of BF4 and SWTOR, but haven't really gamed much in the last month.

15. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Has anyone played Divinity: Original Sin yet? It's being hyped up as the best isometric RPG in years, but I just don't feel right about spending $40 on an Indie games. I love Indie games, but that's pricey.

16. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

It's not pricey at all and the term "indie game" has sorta lost all meaning by now.

The game has a shit-ton of content, to the point where it will possibly keep you busy until after the next triple-A RPG is out. I'd heartily recommend it, but only if you're into cRPGs.

Oh, that's cool, I never came back to Stan's house after the first visit :techman:

17. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes and no. I love the first 5-10 hours of cRPGs, but then I hit a point where the game becomes repetitive and I realize that I don't want to play the same thing for the next 800 hours. I quit at that point. I guess it seems a little odd to keep playing games that I get bored with, but I'm content with the short quality time that I have with them. I'm considering picking up the game during a steam sale.

18. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I just finished Okami on PS3. It was a fun game, although I really wish that all the next was sped up and skippablke. The game loved to repeat itself A LOT and treat the player like they have zero short term memory. Still, the story was decent, and the gameplay was fun.

Next up will probably be the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, although I'm not sure if I want to go in release order (starting with MGS2) or chronological order (starting with MGS3).

19. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

That might be a good idea then, given your preferences.

Currently re-playing Mass Effect 3 on 360, although I can hardly find the time.

20. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Currently I'm playing RoboCraft, a free to play steam game. You build a battle robot block by block (ala minecraft), then you send your robot out to the arena as part of a team of 10 robots and do battle against the 10 other robots on the other team. There's quite a bit of variety in the type of robot you build, including wheeled robots, hoverbots and even flying bots.